sled pulling with an '05

SKYNYRD

"Drunkard"
well i have an '05 that i'm thinking about hooking for the first time this coming saturday and i was wondering what combination gears you guys run in the 3rd gen trucks. i have a fully built HTS tranny with a laminated flex plate,just wondering 4 hi or 4 lo and just put it in drive with the tow/haul mode on or off.
thanks for your help guys.:thankyou2: wish me luck.

I have an 05 drw stock tranny and I pull 4lo drive tow/haul on - over drive off tires are 33" gears are 373's gives me about 43 mph tire speed at about 3250 rpm's. Have fun come to florida and pull sometime.

Last edited:
was it at the "Buck" in lancaster Pa.(I think I remember seeing the op`s truck there) lots of trucks there in the street stock class, I`d like to give it a try at the next one.

yeah i was pulling at the buck last night i was the silver reg cab 3rd gen that took second place in the street stock class.

thanks guys!!
yeah its time for some one inch blocks and traction bars now need to pick up another foot or two. i bet if i could have kept the back end from sagging as much i would have taken first.

Damn shame I missed it... My 17* HPOP is on the way, I'll make the next one!

Anybody going up for the big rig pulls?

Sounds like your hooked! To keep my rear springs from sagging I welded a receiver hitch to the frame over the axle. Pull a pin drop the square tube, with a rubber bump stop, down to the top of the u-bolt pad put the pin back in locks up the rear. Like a vertical reciever hitch.

oh you mean like the guy that took first with the none OEM bumper on his truck when the rules clearly state:
:rules: E. Maximum truck weight including driver is 8,000 lbs. Added weights must be mounted and secured in bed of the truck. Front mounted weights are not allowed, front bumpers must be O.E.M., lower brackets for snow plow frames are permitted, no modifications that add weight are permitted. All trucks must be weighed before class begins.:rules:

Where does it say no spring clamps? I want to know how you pick up 6 feet between pulls. What did you pull the first time Lenny?

bigdog33 said:
Where does it say no spring clamps? I want to know how you pick up 6 feet between pulls. What did you pull the first time Lenny?

he is still learning, first two hooks, track got ALOT Better at the end when it loosened up. hard to say but pulling is no where near drag racing where a certain setup can be tuned to run xx.x everytime down the track, you know that.

heck I had the farthest pull of the night in the heat, and then in the pull off i put another 8' on my previous pull. all i did was launch a little harder.

I got a whopping 4 pulls total. I only gained 1 foot. I don't know, I think I need more tire.

the first pull i let off when i felt the scags on the sled drop the second pull i just kept it to the floor until i got flagged to stop. thats what got me the extra 6' but i still have a little more HPs to unleash and traction bars to add.lol

JW3 said:
skynyrd,
So I take it your hooked now?

yeah the sled hooked me hard!! but i think i'm going to try to keep my truck in the stock classes and run it. i have a few more things i can do to it and still stay with in stock limitations.

Man, that thing about the OEM bumper rule not being enforced would high piss me off!! You got first in my book, cheaters shouldn't place first.

Back