Crank lightening

Its not about innovating, or reinventing the wheel. It's his money and he can do with it how he wants, thats fine.

But every crank needs counter ballance to work period---just stating the facts. Could this work......Not likley, because there is *NO* counter weight left, and because there is 40-45lbs of recipricating mass in the 6 cylinder cummins 5.9, you need at least that on the other end to counter ballance the crank.

Some of you think that diesels are out of this world animals that cant be tamed....well i got news for you, they are not as hard to figure out as you think, mainly because most of the gasser world has done things 20 years ago that were just figuring out.....

So - with that said, what you do to one side of a crank, you must also do to the other side. This is why they call it BALLANCE! :Cheer:

Yes, such untamed beasts....:umno:

Thanks Scott and Matt for your encourage. This thread is getting funnier all the time, maybe I should start a new one which focus more for the crank itself.
Anyway, here's a few pics what has been done it lately. I grind it smooth with beltsanders.

Timo

Attachments

• S72.JPG
    S72.JPG
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S75.JPG
    S75.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 0
  • S76.JPG
    S76.JPG
    109.7 KB · Views: 0
just .02

I agree with the whole balancing of the crank.... one side vs the other like a math equation what you do to one side you do to the other....
but how would we all progress and find new technologies if no one ever tries anything different or (in some peoples opinion stupid.) whats it going to hurt?? so what if it rattles itself apart and thrashes!!! its his money and time. maybe He will be so kind as to post how long it does last and how fast it revs and power output and all the cool info that we can learn from
I look at it this way. free research, butonly if we can keep from beating the guy up so as to piss him off and he leaves the thread unfinished.

All in all Good project glad someone has the time to do it, cuz I certainly dont. jake

Its not about innovating, or reinventing the wheel. It's his money and he can do with it how he wants, thats fine.

But every crank needs counter ballance to work period---just stating the facts. Could this work......Not likley, because there is *NO* counter weight left, and because there is 40-45lbs of recipricating mass in the 6 cylinder cummins 5.9, you need at least that on the other end to counter ballance the crank.

Some of you think that diesels are out of this world animals that cant be tamed....well i got news for you, they are not as hard to figure out as you think, mainly because most of the gasser world has done things 20 years ago that were just figuring out.....

So - with that said, what you do to one side of a crank, you must also do to the other side. This is why they call it BALLANCE! :Cheer:
Thanks for the entertainment. Now tell me why the statement of "every crank needs counter balance to work" is incorrect for a inline-6.

Thanks for the entertainment. Now tell me why the statement of "every crank needs counter balance to work" is incorrect for a inline-6.

Are you serious? EVERY crank, inline 6 or v-8 need counter ballance for the rod throws... the counter ballance IS the counter weights.:nail:

Last edited:
Are you stupid? EVERY crank, inline 6 or v-8 need counter ballance for the rod throws... the counter ballance IS the counter weights.

Then why isnt there a counter wieght for every cylinder on the crank?

Then why isnt there a counter wieght for every cylinder on the crank?

There is a counter balance per cylinder on a oem inline 6 crank acctually there are 2. 1 on either side of the rod journal so that the rod can pass through it. All i was saying in the begining was in its current form it wouldnt balance with out adding weight back to the side he milled all the weight off and nobody has given any info as to how it can balance out other then "it will work" which doesnt hold water with out technical info to back it up.

Last edited:
I thought I6 cranks are zero balanced. As long as the big end of the rods are all weight matched and the crank is in balanced alone as a unit. I never seen a I6 use bob weights when they spin balance them.

They are 0 balanced, but how do you 0 balance a crank that is 12,750 grams lighter on one side then the other. So here is some simple math. He removed 33 lbs which equals 15000 grams. I will use 85% of that weight as the amount taken off the counter side 12750/6= 2125 grams per cylinder on the counter side and 2250 grams or 375 grams per rod journal. So how if this is a 0 balanced crank are you to balance it if only 375 was removed from one side and 2250 was from the other?

it's a zero balance crankshaft.

He removed material from the 0, 120, and 240 position as looking at the crank from the end (drilled holes). Then he removed material from the 180, 300, and 60 position (the counter balance sections).

As long as he removes equal amount from the first three positions and equal amounts from the last three positions, it will balance.

Doesn't matter if the amount removed from the first three is only 2 lbs and the amount removed from the last three is 10 lbs. It will still be able to be balanced.

IMO this crank will balance, look at the picture of the crank. If every single throw was on the same side of the crank, then yes it would be drastically out of balance. If you look down an inline 6 crank there are two throws that line up with each other. The two in the middle, the two, the next two out, and then the last two on both outer edges. They are also placed on the crank in thirds. This is hard to type out to explain, but he did do to one side as he did to the other, just not directly across from each other.

Back