Crank lightening

it's a zero balance crankshaft.

He removed material from the 0, 120, and 240 position as looking at the crank from the end (drilled holes). Then he removed material from the 180, 300, and 60 position (the counter balance sections).

As long as he removes equal amount from the first three positions and equal amounts from the last three positions, it will balance.

Doesn't matter if the amount removed from the first three is only 2 lbs and the amount removed from the last three is 10 lbs. It will still be able to be balanced.

No, it WAS a zero ballance crank shaft.....Now it's 35lbs shy on one side in total from all of the throws.......Good luck trying to drop your recirprcating mass down that much to RE- ballance the whole thing.

Simple math

No, it WAS a zero ballance crank shaft.....Now it's 35lbs shy on one side in total from all of the throws.......Good luck trying to drop your recirprcating mass down that much to RE- ballance the whole thing.

Simple math

:soap: on

Jesus christ, I hate spelling nazi's, but when you are trying to get a point across on something your suppose to be educated on, spell it correctly.

Its fawking BALANCED one L, NOT 2.

Some people's kids.

:soap: off

Simple math

What?

Explain to me what "side" is 35lbs shy?

What does reciprocating mass have to do with balancing the crankshaft. No bobweights are used when balancing a neutrally balanced crankshaft.

:soap: on

Jesus christ, I hate spelling nazi's, but when you are trying to get a point across on something your suppose to be educated on, spell it correctly.

Its fawking BALANCED one L, NOT 2.

Some people's kids.

:soap: off

My bad, im not spelling champion.

What?

Explain to me what "side" is 35lbs shy?

What does reciprocating mass have to do with balancing the crankshaft. No bobweights are used when balancing a neutrally balanced crankshaft.

Like i said, it WAS a neutral crankshaft, now it's a balance nightmare. i've tried similar things in the past, (not to this extent) and it did not work as i planed. But everytime i took some off the crank counter weights.....guess what i had to lose weight on the other side of the counter weight. Same thing applies here, he took off 35lbs now has to use carbon fiber pistons and rods or weld counter back on...

Get it?

Were these other attempts on a neutral balanced crank?

i've tried similar attempts on both external and internal balance cranks, results were very similar, difference being they both were neutral ballanced as a end result. Balance machine is a funny thing, it shows differences even when the fan is blowing near by....

Are you serious? EVERY crank, inline 6 or v-8 need counter ballance for the rod throws... the counter ballance IS the counter weights.:nail:
Yes. The question is are you really serious?

An inline-6 will static balance perfectly without any counter weights.

Why don't you just think of it as a steel shaft with steel rods welded on at 120 degrees apart, it wont make any difference if the rods are 1# or 10# as long as there the same.

^^2cnd
Leo Santucci inline six builder states in his book "chevrolet inline six cylinder power manual" that you can lighten a 250 chevy crank as much as 20 lbs. comparing that much lightening on a cummins crank would be waaaaayyyy more that OP has lightend proportionally speaking.

OK show me one that has been done this way and accually runs in a engine.

You racing this year? What events?
If I'd show you mine then it wouldn't be any fun any more. :hehe: I'll try to be nice about it. Think about harmonics and how they affect the rotating assembly and the reciprocating assembly.

Yes, I'll be at some events. Most of the NADM events once the CR is running.

^^2cnd
Leo Santucci inline six builder states in his book "chevrolet inline six cylinder power manual" that you can lighten a 250 chevy crank as much as 20 lbs. comparing that much lightening on a cummins crank would be waaaaayyyy more that OP has lightend proportionally speaking.

Correct, but most also had to run lightweight alumiunum rods light weight pistons and pins, stuff thats a fraction of our weight, with the cummins it's hard to remove that much weight and keep it together.

i just dont think it will work out like you guys do, but what would i know. i dont do cool stuff like taking big amounts of weight out of diesel engines...

Last edited:
Just give up Wade!!

Why??? You have no clue about what your fighting about! You keep talking about all your cool stuff but you have done nothing special. You act like you are a machine shop when in fact you don't have any machines other than maybe a drillpress! You talk about stuff you have others do and think your making yourself good. Wrong!! You look like a tool. You better read up and then tell us all how you just can't get your point across. You are a guy trying to have fun(like the rest of us) why do you try to make yourself out to be something you are not?

Here's the latest pics, hopefully they are not too radical to put under the "extreme engine tech":hehe: Mill off from sides to get them equal and also get few grams off.

Timo

Attachments

• S77.JPG
    S77.JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 0
  • S78.JPG
    S78.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 0
I was around a 360 inch john deere being built last year. They bent the crank twice until they added more weight to the crank. It was turning in the 7000 rpm range but it bent everytime they ran it until they added more weight.This was a aluminum rodded diesel motor. That's how they got the rpm's.
Depending on your rpm's you might get by.

Wade,

Will the crank balance and will the crank be reliable are two completely different questions.

Will it balance? YES (no more discussion is necessary, just read above)

Will it be reliable? Timo will find out.

Pics look good...

Now we are finally getting somewhere. I'll balance (ballance) the crank and test run it an otherwise stock engine, to see much it effects for the rpm raise times.
Also let it run on a test bench for a long time, unbolt the crank and get it crack tested.

Timo

Back