2nd Annual NHRDA World Finals, Topeka Kansas Sept. 10th, 2011

My local track has track prep on a test and tune night that would embarass Topeka during the world finals. It was the worse 60' times I've had anywhere I've ever raced and I tried everything I could. I feel for the 2 x 4 guys as it was down right dangerous.

x2 on the racing in the rain! I still can't believe they were sending trucks down the track with rain coming down.

At my local track (which is finally prepping a little better after losing a bunch of racers), the starting line was so sticky it messed us up with my daughter's new Jr dragster. I set it up so it would creep at idle with the brakes off, but the line was so sticky she had to give it a bunch of throttle to stage it. My high-top hikers were almost pulling off as I walked her up to the line.

I have walked the starting line and even out to the 330ft mark on numerous NHRA and IHRA tracks when I use to be a crew member of a top fuel team, and let me tell ya, the track in kansas was no where near the same level of a national event. A track prepped for nitro cars will literally pull your shoes off and thats out to the 330 mark. I use to feel my shoes trying to come off when jogging back to the line directing the driver. A track prepped like that may turn up some new breaking points with the high horse power diesels. But we wont know for sure until we cross that bridge.

Ive never seen where the entire track out past the finish line didnt get drug and sprayed during each round of nitro. Thats a Lot of VHT to do a proper prep they cut it usually w/ about 25% methanol. Im sure for what Randy and the guys pay to get the tracks for a day that better prep should come along with that, I mean were all there really for that one reason, to get down track.....

Well we'll never get a track prep like the big boys who do their own, but the first part of the day at Topeka was bad. I ran my first pass in the 11.90 qualifying and left with 20 lbs of boost and my drag radials aired at 24 in the front and 22 in the rear. I spun until I hit third gear. My 60 was a 1.86, I can usually cut a low 1.6 on that little tune. Took 2 more lbs of air out all around and started leaving with 15 psi of boost and it wasnt too bad after that. Didn't 60 any better than a 1.65 but aleast it didn't spin much.

I raced in the gamblers race - first call to the staging lanes was around 10am. We ended making our first time run around 2pm. My slicks had 9lbs of air in them and don't require much of a burnout to get them to really stick. My 60' times were off by almost .2 tenths and the rear end of the truck was washing out (side to side) starting about 600' out.

Well we'll never get a track prep like the big boys who do their own, but the first part of the day at Topeka was bad. I ran my first pass in the 11.90 qualifying and left with 20 lbs of boost and my drag radials aired at 24 in the front and 22 in the rear. I spun until I hit third gear. My 60 was a 1.86, I can usually cut a low 1.6 on that little tune. Took 2 more lbs of air out all around and started leaving with 15 psi of boost and it wasnt too bad after that. Didn't 60 any better than a 1.65 but aleast it didn't spin much.

No wonder I hung with you until the top end of the track with my stock turbo/stock injector truck in the first round of qualifying. My 60ft times were 1.73`s in edmonton and a few hundredth`s off that at Topeka. Drag radials with 28psi all around.

Our 60's were 1.55 avg and we are usually down to 1.45 avg and I could feel it moving around down the track....It's unfortunate the tracks don't take us seriously...probably the best track we were at this year was Brainerd, Minnesota...the one chance I did get to look up in the stands there was what 500 people in the stands that sucks...It was great however to see the truck count grow considerably this year kudos to all that showed up was great to see alot of new trucks...it's just unfortunate that this just may not be the best track for us to try and grow this event...

Thanks for the effort in 2011 NHRDA.....see you in 2012....

Back