2nd Annual NHRDA World Finals, Topeka Kansas Sept. 10th, 2011

I want to say a very special thanks to team green for loaning me a fitting that broke at the line on our water injection and the easy out to remove the broken part. These are the nicest guys you'll ever run across! And congrats on the win!

I also want to thank Harvey (dieselcharger) for a ride to and from the track to our hotel. You guys are awesome and meeting and taking with you was one of the highlights of the event for me and my son! Sorry to hear that the the ramcharger fell off the trailer when you were leaving the track, I hope it was ok.

What fun meeting you guys , your truck is off the hook. The California jokes keep Ken and I intertained on the trip home, and yes the strap broke and it rolled off the trailor at the stop light and as it rolled down the road I thought this doesnt surprise me . This crazy stuff seemed to be the norm for the day and thank God ,Rob was behind us and seen it coming ,he tried to tell us but was too late.Thank God no one got hurt. After work today we put up on the lift a could not see any damage . Luck seemed to be on are side that day .

There is one thing that has been overlooked in all the post event threads. We had a hell of a truck turn out. About every quick truck in the country was there, at least the ones that were running. The NHRDA crew busted their butts to keep it moving. 11 oil downs and a very small clean up crew didn't help matters. We lost at least 3 hours with that. The PA system was about totally worthless I don't know if it was big Don screaming too loud into the mike but I couldn't hardly understand him and the radio was the same way.

Anyway hats off and major Kudos to Randy and his crew. Totally thankless job in the staging lanes and they never got to see a damn thing.

What fun meeting you guys , your truck is off the hook. The California jokes keep Ken and I intertained on the trip home, and yes the strap broke and it rolled off the trailor at the stop light and as it rolled down the road I thought this doesnt surprise me . This crazy stuff seemed to be the norm for the day and thank God ,Rob was behind us and seen it coming ,he tried to tell us but was too late.Thank God no one got hurt. After work today we put up on the lift a could not see any damage . Luck seemed to be on are side that day .

Thanks for the compliment on the truck, it means a lot to me for someone who has a sweet ride like your to think ours is cool. As far as the California jokes go, we just took out Kentucky and replaced it with California!LOL

There is one thing that has been overlooked in all the post event threads. We had a hell of a truck turn out. About every quick truck in the country was there, at least the ones that were running. The NHRDA crew busted their butts to keep it moving. 11 oil downs and a very small clean up crew didn't help matters. We lost at least 3 hours with that.

A lot of quick vehicles for sure...can't really call the altered, two rails and funny car trucks now can we? LOL

A lot of quick vehicles for sure...can't really call the altered, two rails and funny car trucks now can we? LOL

Im sure I can speak for all four TD enteries, that no one got to make a real showing for all the hard work that every team put into it to go fast. There just flat was no track there to hook a race weight dragster with our kind of torque. Congrats to the NX dragster for getting down through there as well as they did, they had it detuned as well trying to put some to the pavement but thier still off by over a second from where Mike wanted to be. Were going to make some updates so that next season we wont be depending quite so much on a perfect track.

I also was impressed in the turnout, it was good last year but a def. improvment this year in car count; thats great to see and I hope it compounds again for next year.... [at a diff. track though of course, lol]. Also saw a lot of good team support and back and forth help between the pits; thats very healthy to see in our sport.

Thanks again to Randy and the whole NHRDA crew.

Ryan

I often wonder what kind of torque a top fuel dragster makes...this track has no problems with those. At their unkown horsepower levels exceeding 8000 HP you would think the torque would be astronomical, even compared to a serious diesel build. I just wonder how they would compare.
CompD Mobile Device

I think the track was just poorly prepped. My local track can hold low 6-second Top Dragsters (ones that 60' down near Top Fuel car numbers) when properly prepped, but on a Friday Street Car night my slow truck still spins.

As far as the fuel cars, I'll bet that a diesel with the torque multiplication of the transmission and torque converter you end up with close to the same torque at the tires, at least for the initial hit. Remember that a TF car has no transmission or torque converter, so it is just pure engine torque to the rearend.

yeah, i was thinking of torque multiplication too but forgot to type it. oops

I thought most of the really quick guys were running gearing to reduce that and still be quick...hell i dont know
CompD Mobile Device

Here is a video of Darren Morrisons truck running an 8.32 @ 139 coasting across the line. This thing sounds awesome when it leaves the lights.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvRvOAbm1k"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvRvOAbm1k[/ame]

Video is miss named it a prostock truck not a prostreet truck. Not sure any of the top diesel or prostock trucks got to make a full pass due to the track conditions. That thing make the ground shake when it lauches. Bad ass for sure.

Here is a video of Darren Morrisons truck running an 8.32 @ 139 coasting across the line. This thing sounds awesome when it leaves the lights.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GrvRvOAbm1k

Awesome video but the baby at the bottom got the biggest chuckle. Thats the expression I envision Greg Hooge making when the scheid rail goes blowing by him....maybe someday he will get diesel powered vehicle so he can see what's that's like. :poke:

2785626320075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2626692500075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2235957600075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2336039040075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

2504016570075117731S600x600Q85.jpg

Last edited:
I often wonder what kind of torque a top fuel dragster makes...this track has no problems with those.

I've only been to one top fuel race, but the Full Throttle series takes thier own track crew around on the road complete with all of the necessary equipment to do some serious track prep in a hurry.

I made the comment to my Dad at the one I've been to that they put more VHT down in one lane for the fuel cars than some tracks use all season. That's an exaggeration of course, but they don't mess around.

Last edited:
I have walked the starting line and even out to the 330ft mark on numerous NHRA and IHRA tracks when I use to be a crew member of a top fuel team, and let me tell ya, the track in kansas was no where near the same level of a national event. A track prepped for nitro cars will literally pull your shoes off and thats out to the 330 mark. I use to feel my shoes trying to come off when jogging back to the line directing the driver. A track prepped like that may turn up some new breaking points with the high horse power diesels. But we wont know for sure until we cross that bridge.

Back