800hp 7.3 turbo'd idi

really? the truck ran 9s making only 300hp? :what:

What are you talking about? No one said any 300hp truck ran 9's...!? I'm confused...

The link posted by the OP showed some guy on the ORG talking about making 800hp, then 500hp after he corrected himself. Then everyone told him he'd be lucky to get 300hp.

Now the high HP 7.3 IDI did run 9's according to everyone here. But if you read the link it says it made 1200hp.

LOL
but in all seriousness if it weighed 3500 (very doubtful) then it would be making less then 600hp to run 9.9 :bang
4500 is a bit more realistic... to run 9.9 it would take 760hp

So figure weight for it at 1200hp. This is under ideal conditions though. None of us will ever know how well this truck hooked and spooled off the line at the track...

What are you talking about? No one said any 300hp truck ran 9's...!? I'm confused...

The link posted by the OP showed some guy on the ORG talking about making 800hp, then 500hp after he corrected himself. Then everyone told him he'd be lucky to get 300hp.

Now the high HP 7.3 IDI did run 9's according to everyone here. But if you read the link it says it made 1200hp.

:doh: when a thread gets as derailed as this one did i completely forget why it was started LOL

So figure weight for it at 1200hp. This is under ideal conditions though. None of us will ever know how well this truck hooked and spooled off the line at the track...

without reading the article in SEVERAL months i'd guess that they could have meant 1200 at the crank?

Did any other info arise with this? Richard, were you able to find the videos and pics of this truck?

I asked around on most of the ford forums, got no answers...

If anyone knows anything about IDI's and you tell them this story, the answer is always... Bull....

Max Lagod over at Hypermax was the mastermind behind the 9 second IDI. I heard about that truck a long time ago...I grew up about 15 miles from Hypermax and have been over there quite a bit, but never seen that truck. It did not use a DB2 pump, but I have no idea what it did use. No clue about the turbos either.

From what I understand, it only ever made a handfull of 1/4 mile passes. The story is that it was in the 9's, but truth be told I have never heard that from Max (or anything else about this truck for that matter). Only rumors...

Lately Max has been going for landspeed records with the 6.0L powered Ranger, I think they call it the "Rocket Ranger" or something like that. He beat Bank's record, but it wasn't backed up on the same day so he never got the record.

FWIW, Hypermax and whoever else was behind that truck running 9's in a diesel 10 years ago, were really some of the early pioneers of diesel drag racing.

The best the truck ever ran was 10.0 I think, and that's with a non-lockup C6 trans. The story goes that it was originally built as a sled pulling engine using the available tractor pulling technology at the time (mid 90s) which meant compounds and an 8cyl p-pump. The pulling truck then got outlawed by everyone in the area, so they dumped the motor in a tubbed Ford and went drag racing. Still trying to dig up more info, if we get enough, we might even try and do an article for Diesel Power.

Back