800hp 7.3 turbo'd idi

They have 21:1 factory compression, that is why they dont like too much boost.

So the DB2 can refill the single set of plungers fast enough to make that much power at that RPM? That is interesting, especially since it was that long ago. I guess that with the intro of the PSD interest in the IDI's dwindled?

-Michael

21.5:1 actually but whos counting. Most see mid-teens for boost and consider it safe but there is one guy I know of running mid-20's reliably with .040 shaved off the pistons. That gave him 20:1 compression I believe. There arent many IDI's out there that can use all the fuel a modified pump can put out. I assume interest fell off because it is so hard to make big power without major mods and how easy it is to make power on the newer engines.

anything out of the pig barn i find hard to believe.

Maybe it had a diffrent pump on it, can you say double overtime??

we got one in the barn wanna start wrenching??? :)

Travis

i got an 88 2wd reg cab idi ford i would just love to make go fast! how much fuel can the rotary style pump be made to flow, like what kind of hp could you get from the pump?

i got an 88 2wd reg cab idi ford i would just love to make go fast! how much fuel can the rotary style pump be made to flow, like what kind of hp could you get from the pump?

550-600HP you can't push them to hard the injector head in the pump will twist off from what I was told.

If you want big HP you need cut pistons 16-1 compression.

thanks for the info, what kind of rpmcan you get ne of those otors to turn? I would like to see 5000 is it possible?

I am a huge fan of these motors but I will be the first to say they aren't the ticket for huge power. At 16:1 compression you flat will not be able to fire it without ether. Here is a clip of one at 17:1 at 50* with ether-
http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/69at17compratio.wav

If you had the budget you could lower the compression, mod the pump, head studs are a must maybe with a MLS gasket. Feed it boost till it wont take anymore and hit it with the drugs. Not cheap, still not fast, not a race motor. And this is from a supporter :thumbsup:

Wow, i cant believe no one ever talks about this truck, and so little is known about it. That is crazy power from an IDI. :rockwoot:

Id love to see video of it. Wonder what it ran for turbos?

:thankyou2:

Don't belive a 7.3L cam make power :eek:wned:

Back when this truck ran it was before there where quick diesels.

Yea you are right. This truck here. 1200HP IDI ran 9sec. Boost was close to 147PSI. He had trouble keeping the freeze plugs in it.

It was a 7.3L IDI running a 6.9L crank dropped the compression to 9-1 started with the aide of lot's of either.

http://www.diesel-central.com/forums/default.aspx?mode=thread&TopicID=270

Ad_60_1.jpg

Thats cool!!!!

like the specs and this part.....

7.3 block sleeved down to 6.9, twin turbos @ 147 psi, diesel only with water injection, 6" girdle, 6000 rpm, double bolted flywheel with three hardened pins, C6 trans, Strange rear end. He said that the block flexes so much that they have to use rubber freeze plugs!

Crazy!!

I am a huge fan of these motors but I will be the first to say they aren't the ticket for huge power. At 16:1 compression you flat will not be able to fire it without ether. Here is a clip of one at 17:1 at 50* with ether-
http://www.dieselwarden.net/temp/69at17compratio.wav

If you had the budget you could lower the compression, mod the pump, head studs are a must maybe with a MLS gasket. Feed it boost till it wont take anymore and hit it with the drugs. Not cheap, still not fast, not a race motor. And this is from a supporter :thumbsup:

THAT SOUNDS SO COOL hahaha i love loping diesels!!! mine does something like that for about a minute after you start it in the "big tune" but not that violently and doesn't sound like it wants to die

I never heard of this truck either. I'm willing to bet that most Ford loyalists don't even know about it either. Whatever and whoever did it, how come they haven't done such with a newer 7.3? I mean if they could do it in the early 90's long before the popularity skyrocketed why does it seem like it's so darn difficult to do it now, almost 20 years later?

The truck was P-pumped, not the rotary DB2. Why build it? Why not? All it takes is money in the end. I’d hate to see how much money was dumped into that thing to make the kind of power it did.

Hypermax built it. I’m sure they could put another one together, but that’s just not likely to happen: lots of $$$, lots of time, and from the sound of it—lots of reliability issues.

And like now, not just "one of these days":rockwoot:

well now that guys are FINALLY starting to get the HEUI system figured out they might not NEED to... like zane's 7.3 rail will still be HEUI injected so we'll get to see what that's capable of!! but still... nothing (so far) can beat mechanical injection for all out power

Who would have thought?

Also if you read the link that the OP posted, you'll see even the ford guys on the ORG told that guy that he'd be lucky to see 300hp. One idiot on the forum doesn't make them (us) all idiots...

Who would have thought?

Also if you read the link that the OP posted, you'll see even the ford guys on the ORG told that guy that he'd be lucky to see 300hp. One idiot on the forum doesn't make them (us) all idiots...

really? the truck ran 9s making only 300hp? :what:

Back