Rule Changes for 2014?

I sent John a couple clarifying questions and here are his responses. I think this makes the rules a little clearer.

Hi John,

I saw the new rules on the website. Just a couple of clarifications:

3. I didn’t seen any rule changes about rear suspension on the website. Were there any changes to the following suspension language?

Suspension, Rear:
An OEM-style suspension is mandatory. Lowering or raising the vehicle height with suspension modifications is permitted. Traction bars and devises are permitted; they must be bolt on only; welds are permitted for attachment to frame or axle housing. All OEM suspension mounting points must be retained and used. Sway bars, limiting straps, and camber kits are permitted. All rear suspensions must use at least one working shock absorber per wheel. Airbag spring assistance is permitted; airbag compressors must be disconnected. Blocked suspension is permitted.

His reply:

1. Correct.
2. Correct.
3. I omitted it. Solid rear suspension can be used.

So this means no shocks, leaf springs, factory attachment points,etc....

I can weld a piece of tubing straight from the frame to the axle???

When will this all be in writing or do you have to pay the annual membership and wait for them to send out books a couple of weeks before TS?

Which they aren't, beside the fact an MWE groove is not designed to feed air into the bore.

Actually they do. Here's a picture of mine.

turbo_136_06_061002_f004.jpg

The Journal of Turbomachinery disagrees with you. They state, "This groove is placed in a turbo to move the surge line on the compressor map to the left and widen the map. A MWE (surge groove) is positioned just after air begins to pressurize in the compressor housing. This allows some of the pressurized air to escape and return into the intake increasing the pressure in the intake bore at low turbine speeds."

To me that's taking pressurized air and feeding it back into the intake bore.

That style cover is not the problem, and you have no need to try and explain to me what the purpose of an MWE groove is.

So what's being said here is the Hart's charger is good to go, but the BD charger is not because of the relation of the groove to the front of the compressor wheel?

-Tom

So what's being said here is the Hart's charger is good to go, but the BD charger is not because of the relation of the groove to the front of the compressor wheel?

-Tom

Exactly what they are after. They want the .200" map to be measured at the wheel. Have not seen the BD cover in person but in the magazine. It must have scared someone, lol.

Unless there are other companies out there doing something similar to BD. I just used there's as an example since a pic of one was posted in the other turbo thread. I'm sure there are as BD doesn't exactly pioneer stuff.......

-Tom

Some of you guys apparently have failed to read the technical papers on what MWEs do at choke flow.

What the factory MWE groove would allow, or what the cover pictured above would allow is far, far from what the current legal covers allow.

Is it to much to ask getting the rules all written down in one spot? Still not 100% on rear axle, batterys, fuel Because it isn't written anywhere....

Can't Even find the updated hitch rule

phone

Last edited:
Is it to much to ask getting the rules all written down in one spot? Still not 100% on rear axle, batterys, fuel Because it isn't written anywhere....

Can't Even find the updated hitch rule

phone

I run PPL and my batteries and fuel are out front on the weight box. And my rear axle will be welded in to place next year. Rules just say what you can't do. If it doesn't say it it's fair game.

I understand what They are allowing. But the axle thing isn't anywhere in writing. So say a clubs techs use ppl rules and Just print out the rule book from 2011 cause it hasn't been updated. Still has old axle rule with no update or changes anywhere on paper

phone

I get that. It looks like when they added the updates for 2014 to the site they deleted the 2013 updates. They ship a rule book with your membership so I'll have to see if what they say this spring. I'll also say something to a couple people to see if we can get the site rule book up to date.

At least the 2013 changes were copy n pasted in last year trainwreck thread

phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389218400650.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389218400650.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 0
There was a new rule book in 2013. I know it addressed the wheelbase rule in 2.6. I tried to find out about that rule last year by calling and emailing and never got an answer. I received my 2013 rule book in the mail about a week before Scheid last year so good luck.

Back