Drilling Sprag

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
Anyone hand drill and tap a 47/48 sprag race? Of course the case is just a touch too tall to fit in the Bridgeport. The race seems softer than a normal bearing race, just by a quick punch test. I don't want to try and drill this thing and make a mess of it.

I thought about it but pussed out and bought a pre drilled and tapped one from A&A transmission. If you go that route I have the hole jig to drill the case if you wanna borrow it.

If it's a bearing race it's been hardened. A carbide drill will be your friend. They will not take much a side load though.

I tried, just ruined $25 worth of bits to make one dimple and work hardened it.
After that I took it to a machine shop, and after seeing the quote, I found a vendor out of Canada maybe(?) that sold a fancy kit pre-tapped with a couple of other bells and whistles.
5,6,7yrs later it’s still sitting in the box somewhere in my shed.
Likely dead center in the $30k pile of shit I’ve never done anything with, because responsibilities are a scam.
I’ll look tomorrow and see if I can find any information.

Check with TCS or one of the big name Trans shops. Maybe cope?

I was looking at Cope's and A&A transmission's kits. I think Cope's is just A&A's with a sticker. They both look to be stock sprag races that are drilled and tapped. I am going to abort trying to drill what is in there by hand, I think I would just make a mess of high dollar carbide drill bits.

I thought about it but pussed out and bought a pre drilled and tapped one from A&A transmission. If you go that route I have the hole jig to drill the case if you wanna borrow it.

I might take you up on that.

Why are we drilling and tapping bearing races and what the hell is a Bridgeport?

Because they like to turn in the bore. BP is a knee mill.

What power level are we talking and what is the symptom from it rotating? I remember seeing them on PATC I think.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

What power level are we talking and what is the symptom from it rotating? I remember seeing them on PATC I think.

Sent from my motorola one 5G using Tapatalk

I did it to my transmission many years ago at about 450-500hp on a boosted launch. Tim Barber told me then he'd never seen one himself ripped out I think, his truck was around 1000hp then.

I think that was 2007-2008...but If my memory serves, it really can only do it if you aren't pulling the shifter into 1st gear? Or maybe that was just how my VB was setup...I can't remember, I haven't owned a Dodge 47/48 transmission since 2010 now LOL

As far as what does it do, well you'll be going along and all of a sudden the truck will stop, and make a screeching noise, then it might just take back off again. I bet I ran it 500 miles after I initially hurt it before I talked to Tim and we agreed we should probably tear it down and take a look.
Chris

The rear sprag is what holds all the power in first gear.unless you pull your shifter down into first from neutral or park,then the rear band comes on so you have both the rear band and sprag holding. If you ever watch lavons early quad cab videos, he always launched in manual 1 and then threw the column into drive after he launched.

Why are we drilling and tapping bearing races and what the hell is a Bridgeport?

Probably too heavy to deliver one to Hawaii. Might be why you've never seen one. Probably the most sought-after industrial machines for home use ever. Had one in my nieghbors shop across the fence for a while....then the bastard moved and took it with him. Two thumbs down.

:lolly:

R.a8233b96ced478838abb59f07e10cfd0

Y'all have any luck drilling that sprag? Going to be building my 48re and wanting to have a bolt in sprag without buying the kit.

It's not recommended to hand drill and tap a 47/48 sprag race yourself, especially since the case doesn't fit in your Bridgeport mill. Drilling and tapping require precise alignment and straight holes. Hand drilling is unlikely to achieve the accuracy needed for proper sprag race installation. Even if the sprag race seems softer, improper drilling can cause cracks or damage the race, leading to potential failure later.

Am I the only one who thinks jannickz is an AI bot?

Back