Head Studs: Are They Necasary?

All depends on the driver, if he or she can show a little self control they become good insurance, if they cannot they become a necessity.

If you are bumping the PSI up on a small turbo to make up for less air flow, possibly. If you have a nice single that flows a lot more air at lower PSI, no.

Just have Garmon take it to the back room and put the magic torque on the stock ones and you'll be fine to 200 psi. :hehe:

Take this for what it's worth. If you have strict mannerisms and control of your go pedal, wait til she warms up properly before boosting hard, let her cool down properly. ect. You could get away with a fresh new set of bolts and a proper torque proceedure. I like to take small steps up in torque on the fasteners, this builds less heat on the threads when torqing down.

For cheap insurance- head studs. More so if your truck will see 48+ psi regularly. Head studs by design, are a much better quality fastener, have a choice of selection in metal grades which effect max clamp yield ratings. ARP 2000 or the ARP 625 studs are quality fasteners and the customer service for us diesel folks has been great.

Many of the site vendors can get you a good price on them.

why is that?

Because when you get to around 400hp or 500hp u r usually pushing 50psi of boost or more, they say thats the most the a stock head gasket can take, like stated above most people wait until they start haven head gasket problems. Which is probably what would do just so i could get o rings or fire rings and head stud it all at once.

Because when you get to around 400hp or 500hp u r usually pushing 50psi of boost or more, they say thats the most the a stock head gasket can take, like stated above most people wait until they start haven head gasket problems. Which is probably what would do just so i could get o rings or fire rings and head stud it all at once.

I know the reasoning...but saying its a neccessity not to sure! Been pushin 50 lbs and haven't had a problem yet.....but like stated I am also waiting for that time of "pop" It aint just boost, a lot comes into play for the HG. Like stated with the small charger and high DP

Do not do this. If your gonna cheap out and buy head bolts atleast get new ones....

Not really.... My(original) stock bolts are at 155 (Garmonized) and they hold 50is just fine.

See my above post... If done correctly stock bolts and HG can and will work.

Not really.... My(original) stock bolts are at 155 (Garmonized) and they hold 50is just fine.

See my above post... If done correctly stock bolts and HG can and will work.

I agree but is it as easy as simply adding studs? Taking head off and machining it and things would be much more time consuming and pricey than just head studs wouldnt it??

Back