Truckers, lets see your rigs!

Part of the issue is probably the truck gearing. An N14 would have never came in a truck with 3.36 and being OTR and running 70mph it’s probably either 1450rpm or 1750rpm. This swap was just a bad decision from the beginning.

The N14 is like the 6NZ and 12.7 S60. Has a cult following that is completely baseless. The N14 just like the others was just an OK engine, not every one lasted forever, got great mileage or was cheap to fix. Not every 12.7 is a 7mpg motor and Detroit parts are not cheap. The 6NZ is probably the most over rated one of them all, they do ok and are mostly good but have their drawbacks.

All he needs to do is drop a gear and let it use the RPM.

1650rpm nets 70mph give or take a few in 12th/17th.

My Star had an RTLO18918B, 3.58’s, and 445/50-22.5 super singles (same height as a lopro 22.5). I ran 60-65mph loaded, (short haul, rarely more than 125 miles loaded, and rarely more than 30 miles empty) and ran the big gear a lot, 1,350 rpm. I know most would say that’s how not to run an N14, but that worked well for me.
That was in West Tx, eastern NM. The triangle I worked mainly was Amarillo, Lubbock, Clovis. Not hilly, but plenty of rolling hills, and constant wind.
I liked my N14, but probably wouldn’t buy another one because of the inability to really make power with one.

It’s nothing I’m doing... you throw a 460hp n14 in a truck with 3:36’s and 280”wb, it’s not gonna do well on fuel.
This thing will hardly pull 18th so unless I’m on the turnpike doing 75, it never gets used.

I’ll have the shift tower wore out in this thing within 30k miles.

I was getting 4.8-5.2 in the 379 with a mechanical motor. I can drive somewhat... I just pick bosses that don’t know trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It’s nothing I’m doing... you throw a 460hp n14 in a truck with 3:36’s and 280”wb, it’s not gonna do well on fuel.
This thing will hardly pull 18th so unless I’m on the turnpike doing 75, it never gets used.

I’ll have the shift tower wore out in this thing within 30k miles.

I was getting 4.8-5.2 in the 379 with a mechanical motor. I can drive somewhat... I just pick bosses that don’t know trucks.

Like I said, I don’t want to come across like I was picking on you.
I’d have to agree that whoever spec’d that thing needed to get they’re head out and look around.
I liked my N14, but would NEVER put one in a glider, or anything else for that matter.

Last edited:
Is there more strict emission regulations for new trucks in California than EPA ? Or only for older trucks ?

I run California regularly, I believe this coming year the newest rules go into effect and the big one is you can no longer run a truck older than 2013. No more retrofitting older trucks. I've been going out there for a little over a year with a 2000 Pete with a 6nz and had zero problems with carb. I did get eye balled pretty good by a carb officer at a scale once but you don't need to look under it to know it's not carb compliant the sound of the 800hp marine cam through 8" straights idling across a scale is a pretty dead give away.

If they decide to fully enforce the 2013+ truck rules they're going to lose a lot of us produce haulers from the Midwest since I see the same guys and same trucks all over farming country in California and most of us are running pre emission trucks.

Didnt your uncle Bruce used to get huge powah and bsfc's outa old 855's? I would think n14 should be able to do pretty good even with antique electronics

A damper and a HORRIBLE Lipe clutch will get you +1mpg each if you get them from Bruce.

Uncle Bruce is the only one that thinks those clutches are good. They went out of business for a reason.

Love me some E-Log trucks. Place I load a lot has one loading door that’s 4 miles from the gate inside the mill. Speed limit varies from 15mph to 25mph UNLESS you have an elog then the a-holes like to drive 5mph so big brother doesn’t show them as “on duty”. But according to Allan these are the bees knees. He probably was driving 5mph so he could count all the commas in his paycheck thanks to his new babysitter.

Love me some E-Log trucks. Place I load a lot has one loading door that’s 4 miles from the gate inside the mill. Speed limit varies from 15mph to 25mph UNLESS you have an elog then the a-holes like to drive 5mph so big brother doesn’t show them as “on duty”. But according to Allan these are the bees knees. He probably was driving 5mph so he could count all the commas in his paycheck thanks to his new babysitter.

Sounds like you need to do a Dale Earnhardt style pass in the grass. :hehe:

They just haven't figured out how to cheat yet. Elogs a blessing in disguise.

You can bet your arse I’m gonna get screwed with on this, but I’m also for sure not touching it.
98a0af1bc9ff4bf440d2b32033e922b8.jpg

Back