egt problem need help

southernsilver

A buddy of mine has a 05 dodge 3500 4dr lwb with 37's also with banks six gun with pda and banks intercooler,high ram,80hp injectors,with banks new air intake,and B1 turbo egts still spike well into 1600 at WOT also has 8" superlift including spacer. Engine temperature and trans rises too. Any help is appreciated

What B1? I would bet that it is too small on the ex side, I would say get with a 62/1.0 in a 71 series and that will help alot. A cam will help alot also.

southernsilver said:
A buddy of mine has a 05 dodge 3500 4dr lwb with 37's also with banks six gun with pda and banks intercooler,high ram,80hp injectors,with banks new air intake,and B1 turbo egts still spike well into 1600 at WOT also has 8" superlift including spacer. Engine temperature and trans rises too. Any help is appreciated

Does his truck have a body lift? A body lift is a NO, NO on a diesel. Allows air to get passed all the coolers in the front of the truck. I am guessing this because tranny and engine temps are rising also. Egt's will because not enough air through intercooler. If he has a body lift take it off.$.02

A body lift is a NO, NO on a diesel. Allows air to get passed all the coolers in the front of the truck.
How do you figure?

Just because you can bolt on 500hp doesn't mean you can turn it up and stand on it at that level and not expect egt, engine, and tranny temps to get warm...

Last edited:
The word "BANKS" tells me you are wrong!:hehe: I had a PSD with 16 inches of lift and when I put on a body lift I experienced the same problems. My wifes trucks stomps over 700rwhp and her truck isn't running hot and neither is the tranny.(155 degrees) Maybe because it's an HTS....... I am speaking from experience not just speaking.hint, hint, He hasn't even answered the question, so maybe he doesn't have a bodylift.

I'm still trying to understand the reasoning that leads you to believe a body lift will cause air to escape around the radiator? Kinked a hosed maybe yes... You may "stomp" 700hp but you are not going to run up a large hill or tow very heavy with EGTs exceeding 1600 without overheating. He's either got some cooling system issues or is trying to run turned up for an extended period with not enough air to burn the fuel resulting in high EGTs and an over worked cooling system. Why do you use terms like "stomping" and "alpha male" and "I'm a biter"? That last one has some alternative connotations that are less than flattering bro lol.

duke1n said:
I'm still trying to understand the reasoning that leads you to believe a body lift will cause air to escape around the radiator? Kinked a hosed maybe yes... You may "stomp" 700hp but you are not going to run up a large hill or tow very heavy with EGTs exceeding 1600 without overheating. He's either got some cooling system issues or is trying to run turned up for an extended period with not enough air to burn the fuel resulting in high EGTs and an over worked cooling system. Why do you use terms like "stomping" and "alpha male" and "I'm a biter"? That last one has some alternative connotations that are less than flattering bro lol.

Why do you highjack threads?????? Alpha Male......ME. The truck just "stomped" an SS camaro with a blower last night. My Avatar would "bite" you if I told it too. Is that clear enough? Someone has insecurity issue's....I obviously have your undivided attention. You seem to be obsessed with what I write.?.?

The reasoning behind a Body lift causing it to overheat is the fact that a "Bodylift" raises the "Body" not the chassis. ALL the cooling on the truck is connected to the chassis. NOW the "Body" and the "FRAME" do not align, therefore causing those large gaps for air to get "BY" instead of "THROUGH."
I experienced this and took "OFF" the Bodylift and it stopped over heating.:bang That is my experience. Call 4wheel Parts... They'll tell you the same thing. I believe they won't do a body lift at all anymore. Take it or leave it.

Last edited:
Back to the EGT problem, that is the name of the game. At WOT this is going to happen with that much fuel. What I would be worried about if the EGT's don't go down when you foot comes off the throttle. If daily diving exceeds 1200 there may be an issue.

LMAO Soot, you're just wrong. You and Wade related? Don't know about the alpha male title, I'm thinking more along the lines of dumb jarhead. Anyway... to actually be able to help the guy he needs to describe how the truck is being driven when it overheats. A stocker with enough weight behind it going up a long pull will get warm. Some people throw a box on and then still try and drive the crap out of it and wonder why things break/wear out/and get hot. If it's over heating while being driven unloaded then he's got cooling system issues. EGTs hitting 1600 on short blasts around town, won't cause it to overheat. On the other hand 1600 for an extended period of time will definitely get the whole drivetrain toasty.

one thing you all left out was a pusher pump, with those kind of mods i bet that truck is starving for fuel and it's getting hot, i see it all the time. fuel is a lubricant and cools the combustion chamber, lack of fuel from a pusher or cp3 will do it all day long............... i would look in that direction before i spent thousands of unnessisary dollars$.02

Last edited:
Oh my god Wade. Soot, you straighten him out or I will forever more throw you in the same category as the Wademan.

duke1n said:
Oh my god Wade. Soot, you straighten him out or I will forever more throw you in the same category as the Wademan.

I don't know about all that, but the guy that asked the ? hasn't said anything since. I believe we are wasting our time here. He probably found someone on DTR that helped him out.:hehe: LOL My idea is the one I have experience with. It's dumb "PUKE". ARMY. Mechanized infantry. Purple Heart. Thanks is not necessary. I don't think you can have heat issue's with a BANKS system. They are to well engineered for that to happen. :hehe: One other thing......WADE, spell check man, spell check.

Wade's suggestion is that he is under fueling and thereby over heating. More fuel to be cool. Ummmm I'm not sure what to say about now other than Wade, are you high?

duke1n said:
Wade's suggestion is that he is under fueling and thereby over heating. More fuel to be cool. Ummmm I'm not sure what to say about now other than Wade, are you high?

In my experience less fuel means less heat. More makes more heat. I might be wrong.

absolutly, on a CR i have recored this to happen several times, and it's not just lack of lubrication, when the rail gets depleted, the ecm will alter things in a big way to try and compensate, like retarded timing, lower boost fueling ect. anyone who builds CR's will tell you the same dukey, it's a know fact in the CR world.

sootman said:
In my experience less fuel means less heat. More makes more heat. I might be wrong.
i have see it both ways, ive seen too much fuel make a truck run too cold to burn fuel--like flooding the cylinders. you just have to know what to look for.

this was only a suggestion for those that asked, dukey, please dont try and make something out of nothing!

Back