18v Cordless Impact Comparison

HightechRedneck

Im in the hunt for a decent 18v cordless impact. Looking at just getting a slip collar one instead of a dedicated 3/8 or 1/2 for now being I only want to but one due to limited income till starting my career. Looking at spending no more than 300 on one.

Been looking at Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, and DeWalts 20v.

Anyone running any of these impacts and how do you like it? Personally I'm looking at the Milwaukee with its 5 year warranty, 1400 in lbs torque, and 2200 free spin speed for 259.99 new. I know it's not able to do the big tasks but that's why I have hand tools. Needing something to run fasteners in and out and with a slip collar I can use it for about anything.

Looking for pros/cons and even more brands.

Thanks

Had normal Milwaukee 14.4 volts for about 7 years. Switched to Dewalt Lithium Ion. Threw them in the garbage after 6 months and got a 18v Milwaukee Red Lithium Ion about 2 months ago. I've used it regularly and finally had to charge it for a second time about a week ago. My plumber buddy swears by his Makita. Run far away from the Dewalt.

I have the big and little 1/2 drive impacts from Milwaukee.

I love them both. The little impact puts out 220ft.lbs. while the big one puts out 450ft.lbs.

I'd recommend a snap on impact if you can find one. talk to yout tool truck man.. alot of times they have trade ins for nothing

I have a5 year old lithium dewalt 18v that I still beat on every day, it now sounds like a kids toy, but it works.
Yes I would buy another. In a heart beat.
On a side note, my mother burned up a milwaukee 18v on her stuff at home.. it was less than a year old.

Also, in regards to Milwaukee impacts.. go with ni cad batteries.. The M18 Lithium Ion batteries are junk. My Nicad's lasted like 3 years.. then they are $100 a piece.. My M18's lasted like 6 months..

Check out grainger in the fall. They move all there backstock for the new lines. I got this unit for $139 [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-9079-22-18-Volt-Ni-Cad-Cordless/dp/B00005RHQI/ref=sr_1_47?ie=UTF8&qid=1336969444&sr=8-47"]Amazon.com: Milwaukee 9079-22 18-Volt Ni-Cad 1/2-Inch Cordless Impact Wrench: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/414JVYRXE6L.@@AMEPARAM@@414JVYRXE6L[/ame]

This one for $199
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-2663-22-18-Volt-2-Inch-Friction/dp/B002AKKJB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1336969656&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Milwaukee 2663-22 18-Volt M18 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Friction Ring: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31I17zMdQoL.@@AMEPARAM@@31I17zMdQoL[/ame]

I bought 2 of each.. came with 2 batteries a charger and a case.

Also, what are you using these for? The little guy isn't good for lugnuts but it's nice and light for a 3/8 impact use. big guy is a beast.. use it on lugnuts on skid steers and truck.

I would look into an auction snap-on/mac 1/2 air impact if possible.. i'm seeing them going for $50-100. Everyone wants the new fancy 3/8 impacts..

Had normal Milwaukee 14.4 volts for about 7 years. Switched to Dewalt Lithium Ion. Threw them in the garbage after 6 months and got a 18v Milwaukee Red Lithium Ion about 2 months ago. I've used it regularly and finally had to charge it for a second time about a week ago. My plumber buddy swears by his Makita. Run far away from the Dewalt.

Which 18v Milwaukee one did you get Brandon?

I just found one with the smaller battery and a drill combo kit for 199.99. Thinking I can find one for around 150. The 250 one mentioned above is the biggest battery they have which I didn't notice was the only difference. I don't need a huge battery and can always upgrade later if needed. Dad has older Milwaukee tools then newer hitachi cordless and are good but just don't cut it for me.

Thanks for the quick responses guys!

An Impact driver might be a great option.. That will be my next buy. Just got an amazing creeper from Mac so now I need power things

Also, in regards to Milwaukee impacts.. go with ni cad batteries.. The M18 Lithium Ion batteries are junk. My Nicad's lasted like 3 years.. then they are $100 a piece.. My M18's lasted like 6 months..

I bought 2 of each.. came with 2 batteries a charger and a case.

Also, what are you using these for? The little guy isn't good for lugnuts but it's nice and light for a 3/8 impact use. big guy is a beast.. use it on lugnuts on skid steers and truck.

I would look into an auction snap-on/mac 1/2 air impact if possible.. i'm seeing them going for $50-100. Everyone wants the new fancy 3/8 impacts..

I have the air impacts already and am looking for a versatile cordless. Not wanting a dedicated 3/8 or 1/2 though for when it comes to screw and such like in interiors. Figure the 1/4 hex style bit is the way to go cause they make everything for them. I have the 3/8 and 1/2 bits already for sockets from my dads hitachi that he has.

Thanks

The use I'm using it for would be to run in fasteners, bolts, screws etc. For lug nuts I have air tools and being in a shop it will be easy to use. Basically I'm wanting a driver so I can speed up the process of removing and installing taught then torquing after. Crazy ratings arent needed but I would like to get a better unit to start working with now.

I dont have any experience with the Milwaukee drills at all, but I have used Dewalt, Hitachi, and Bosch. Out of my experience with them, Bosch hands down. I do a lot of greenhouse work taking them down and putting them back up from time to time, as well as general farm work and the Bosch impact with the slip collar like you want really stands out. The power it has will surprise you. It has no problem wringing off a 7/16 thread size bolt if the nut has seized. Im not sure what the inch/lbs are for them, but its somewhere around the 1200 you were talking about earlier. I don't think you will find a clear "one is better than the other and here are the facts." Everyone has their favorite brands, but mine is bosch. For what its worth, if you do go this route, get the fat pack batteries. There's nothing wrong with the slim ones, as a matter of fact they're pretty nice because they're so light, but the fat pack will last much longer.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-CLPK23-180-2-Tool-Lithium-Combo/dp/B002BXCXHC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1336972600&sr=8-3"]Amazon.com: Bosch CLPK23-180 18V 2-Tool Lithium Ion Combo Kit: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41rQofJOPiL.@@AMEPARAM@@41rQofJOPiL[/ame]

Not dead sure that this is the exact part number to the kit I have, but its pretty close. A little higher but not bad.

On edit... Don't know what price I was looking at but its quite a bit higher than what you had said.

Last edited:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-25618-02-Lithium-Ion-Impactor-Driver/dp/B0020ML6H2/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1336972600&sr=8-10"]Amazon.com: Bosch 25618-02 18V 18V Lithium-Ion Impactor Driver: Home Improvement@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41o7EWhvrCL.@@AMEPARAM@@41o7EWhvrCL[/ame]

This should be more like it.

Dewalt with 18v nicad batteries. I have both 3/8 & 1/2 along with drills and sawzalls, couldnt be happier!!!

I've been using Makita impacts for 6-7yrs. My first set of Lithium Ion batteries finally died after that same 6-7yrs!

I recently added a recip saw to the mix. I love the little things.

I would never go back to NiCad, but I will say that the Snap-On 1/2" are beasts

Eventually I plan on getting a dedicated 1/2" snapon impact, but for the time being and wanting to stay cheaper due to just getting into the field I was thinking a impact driver will get me by. I'm looking into the Bosch today to see where I can find the best deal. I'm not too worried on the milwaukee though being a 5 year warrenty on the tool then a 2 year on the batteries. By that time I will be wanting to upgrade to a more expensive dedicated piece.

Anyone have experience with the new M18 line from Milwaukee?

Not dead sure that this is the exact part number to the kit I have, but its pretty close. A little higher but not bad.

On edit... Don't know what price I was looking at but its quite a bit higher than what you had said.

just found a price on the bosch and it was 219 new with a rebate for an additional two free batteries. That's a deal on the unit. It was the slimline batteries. All the prices I have been coming up with are through CPO Outlets. They have some awesome deals on tools and they carry about every brand out there.

I have all the makita Lithium Ion tools, been using them for 5 years or so. Absolutely love them. Impact drivers are great as well as the 1/2 impact.

I bought a rayobi 1/2in impact (200ftlbs on the box) and a drill for $200 with 2 slim Li battery's, its been working the little bit I have used it.

Back