18v Cordless Impact Comparison

Save your money until you can afford a Snap-on if you are looking for a real impact and not the glorified cordless drills with the inch lb. ratings.

Pretty good deal right here on Makita. Additional 100 off the sale price with a trade in of a competing 14.4 v and up toll and two batteries. Trade in does not have to be working. That said...the impact tools are the 1/4 hex drive. Stout as hell though..

MAKITA - Grainger Industrial Supply

Last edited:
I have a Milwaukee impact driver (slip collar) and the drill setup. For both of those, two batts and a charger was $199 at Rural King. Only downfall to the impact driver is it has less power than a regular 3/8 impact, but it will still break the hex bits off every once in a while so keep extras with you. The lithium batteries are nice and they have a charge check on them which is cool, so you dont hike up to the roof with a 1/4 charge battery on accident! The rubber grip is starting to fall apart on mine, but I blame that on being soaked in oil all the time at work.

I know it will have less power than an impact but it will do what I want it to do as far as being Versatile with any bit I can put in it. I need to have one now prior to starting work and I will be getting my money worth on it between projects and work.

For the price on Makita what's the benefits. More expensive less lower and a smaller warrenty. Theirs is 3 yr on machine one year battery.

I was going to get a Makita till I found the Milwaukee. Figured it would be more expensive though too. Again I will be getting a cordless 1/2 impact later on but for now I'm needing something to get me a little more productive than hand tools.

On the bits dad has a set of Milwaukee shock drive for the hitachi he owns and never broke one yet. Regular ones yes but not a single shockwave one. For 30 bucks they are fairly cheap for a 35 piece kit also

Also just found out for tools only to expand later is 169 for a 3/8 (2000 in/lbs)dedicated tool only and 199 for a 1/2 (450ft/lbs)

That's an option later on too and it will still be cheaper than the snapon unit. They all use the same batteries so I don't have to buy everything again just the tools.

My millwaukee l-ion batteries (m-12) have been great dont see why the bigger ones wouldnt be as well. When I get a bigger one it will be millwaukee

I have a lot of the M18 tools and really like them. I was starting to get really frustrated with my DeWalt tools so I bought all Milwaukee and sold off the DeWalt. I have the 1/4" impact driver that you mentioned earlier, the 1/2" impact, sawzall, hammer drill, etc. and I am happy with them all. The batteries will go pretty long without charging and the little indicator lights on them are kinda nice. The 1/4" driver will be fine for what you are asking of it.

thanks brandon... im pretty set on getting the unit and later on just buying more tools for the batteries... now to find the best price locally and see if they will match the 159 that i found online...

anyone else wanna share their opinions?

I love my 18v and 10v makitas lithium ion impacts, actually use the 10v more cause Its smaller an almost as strong as the 18.

Do you know who it is actually forest? I was checking out the milwaukee one and it's rated about the same and for $169 price for tool only is cheap. The only thing I wonder is if the slim batteries will run the impacts efficiently. They only sell impacts with the XC larger batteries. Might just be a gimmick though. Anyone doing this?

we have 1/2 and 3/8 impact's and also the 1/2 drill from millwaukee at the farm i work at. All have the 18v l-ion batteries (m-12) and like them for farm work

I know its not a Milwaukee that I am comparing to, but on the Bosch, the slim batteries have just as much power, its just that the fat ones seem to last about twice as long. I would guess that it would be the same across brands. $.02

If that's the case which I hope it is I will just go with the smaller ones. If I notice them dying quick I can buy an impact with the batteries.

guess who makes Snap-On's impacts

*hint* it's not Snap-On

Mine appear to have some design influences from the Milwaukee's but they are a proprietary design. Like saying a Bugatti is a VW because they are both manufactured in a VW plant. LOL My new 7850 Snap on has 700 ft. lbs. of bolt break away torque. It is more powerful than my IR titanium 1/2 air wrench. No cordless impact comes close.

Back