Whats Stronger The Allison or The 5R110?

badbronc

I will be pushing 750 - 800Hp with my 6.7 Cummins that is being installed in a 05 Ford Super Duty. I already have a stage 3 ATS 5R110, billet shaft, 5 star torque converter and the PCS controller. How much power can this 5R110 handle? I rarely hear of any 5R110 problems but most 6.0's are not pushing the kind of power and torque this Cummins engine will be putting out. I can switch to an Allison but is it worth the time and money? Plan for the truck is mixed use, sand, drags, sled pull, towing. I know there have been a lot of programming issues with the 5r110 causing erratic shifting but I have heard PCS has that pretty well figured out. What do you guys think?

You would be wise to dump the ATS converter. The torqshift will take what you throw at it.

The 5R's IMO have proven themselves behind quite a few potent, heavy 6.4's. If you feel the need to swap, seems to me that built Dodge trans can go for quite a bit of $$ when compared to a BTS 4R/E4.

As far as i can tell since ive been working at a chevy dealer the only reason allisons look remotely good is because thier torque managment kicks in alll the time if u punch it. Just this thursday a guy came in w/ a duramax with a tune on it (it was obvious it had one b4 it came in thanks to the techII) The customer complaining of reduced engine power. Took it out for a test drive to go step on it n it was like someone put a huuuge turbo charger on it cause it was lagggy n then eventually it would take off then it would bang into gear (customer later told us it had a shift kit). Hookd the tech 2 back up and u could see torque management kicking in every time you went wot. So imo its pointless to spend a lot of $$ on a stock trans when u could of bought a built 47 or 48 for around the same amount of money

Now granted yes that is a completely diffrent engine i know but i think a allison wouldnt really last too long w/o torquemanagement. It is essentially just like every other factory auto trans thats behind a diesel in a pick up... not strong enough

Good to see you believed some sales pitch at some point in time.

I didn't need a sales pitch I had 2 busted stock 1's and a suncoast back 2 times. All with John Wood's or Elite tuning so save your "it's the tuner BS" LOL No way around the clutch pack handoff's burning clutches.Even more of a disaster with a PCS controller. It has gotten better with the PCS but still hear of many issues with them.

If you have a 5r110 that is already partially built or pretty well built... why spend the extra money to build a completely different transmission? Finish off building the 5r110 you got now. Then run the 5r til it cant take anymore. At that point either build it again or go a different route.

If you have a 5r110 that is already partially built or pretty well built... why spend the extra money to build a completely different transmission? Finish off building the 5r110 you got now. Then run the 5r til it cant take anymore. At that point either build it again or go a different route.

Amen...

There is a reason they make a 47rh for the D-Max trucks, I am a believer in the built 47/48 trannys but why spend money on one when you already have the built 5r110. If the Ford trans wont take it then swap.

I didn't need a sales pitch I had 2 busted stock 1's and a suncoast back 2 times. All with John Wood's or Elite tuning so save your "it's the tuner BS" LOL No way around the clutch pack handoff's burning clutches.Even more of a disaster with a PCS controller. It has gotten better with the PCS but still hear of many issues with them.

You don't impress me telling me that a suncoast one **** the bed. I already know the issues with their kits. The ReTadd transmission tuning doesn't eliminate your issue either. Clutch packs turning on and off isn't magical. It's the excuse the 4R100 guys give when they can't figure it out.

You are a funny guy. I sure hope that cummins/4r100 swap runs flawlessly. You will never hear the end of that if it doesn't.

I say stick with the 5r110... Very stout transmissions, despite what the random .1% of people that have trouble say. Those people have trouble with more than just tranmsissions, usually everything.

I talked to ATS and John Woods and they both think my current tranny is safe to 500 - 600hp but that they don't think it can handle the torque of the Cummins. So that kind of helps me make up my mind. My main concern is I have to make up new drivelines, cooler lines, trans filter do the wiring and programming, mount the PCS controller and I really don't want to do it twice if the tranny can't hold up. I know the Dodge tranny is hell for stout if it's built right and is a no brainer for durability and it would work fine. I just want more gear ratios than the Dodge tranny has so I don't have the big jump between 3rd and 4th. I think its like a 30% jump in ratio. I know the Allison can be built stout as hell and if you just look at the size of the parts in it compared to any other tranny its much beefier. I think the problems the Duramax drag racing guys have is that it shifts slow but I just want bulletproof tranny not a drag racer. My truck is so heavy it won't matter if the tranny shifts a little slower. I also don't want to have to do the wiring, programming and cooler lines over again. I've pretty much made up my mind on the Allison but I was hoping a whole bunch of you would say yeah the 5R110 is bulletproof and can handle what ever you throw at it. Wishfull thinking. I believe the 5R110 is a strong tranny, Its basically a beefed up 4R100 with two more gears. I hear most of the problems have been programming issues and accidentally getting it in two gears at the same time and bamm its all over. So I just will work on getting the engine completed and see how the finances are at that point. The economy being what it is I may have to run the 5R110 for a while. Unless someone out there wants to sponsor a truck - Like Suncoast, Hint Hint.

IIRC the Allison has less clutch surface area than the dodge transmissions.

Bigger shafts it does have, none is any stronger than the dodge/ford stuff though.

I could be wrong.

I hd a built 5R110 when I did my conversion. It was all of John Wood's parts so I called him up and told him what the plan was. He laughed when I asked if the 5R would hold it....so I ditched it and built a 48RE.

The 5R could be a viable trans for your swap if you plan to keep the HP reasonable. If you're gonna push the higher numbers I'd do with a 48RE or a
4R100. The torque output on the inline motor is much higher at the same HP level...that's what'll kill the trans.

Back