Willys Tow Rig

Single layer. I just learned that MLS gaskets were offered while doing some searching yesterday. I don't know if I want the wait to order them online though. lol

That wiper system is nice need something like thatto get rid of vacum wiper on current possible toy. and the fuel sump looks marvelous...

Oh. I forgot to mention how I almost didn't make it to the Diesel Drags the other night... on the way home from work to pick up the wife and head out I pulled a grade at WOT and 85psi for a few seconds and all of a sudden I heard a shotgun go off from under the hood!

E367E281-C7E9-4CAE-8D97-B795D9C8AB7E_zpsj0y2dwzz.jpg

I bet that got your attention right quick! You can check your local big rig shops to see if they can get the multi layer gaskets for you. Anyone of them that are Cummins dealers can get them for you and you can pick them up at their parts store. Just call them with a part number. Or call or PM Snedge on here. He will treat you right!

I bet that was a ruckus at 85psi!
What's the plan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I turned right around and went back to the shop. Welded her back up and went racing. My weld was the issue, because of the way those 2 pieces joined I just fused them together instead of beveling and using filler rod; obviously not the strongest weld. lol

I pulled the cab to get the exhaust manifold off today and replace the gaskets that blew out.
9EDD1A79-7B2C-4C0D-B28C-BEEFEDDB955A_zpsxxe1ey3n.jpg

And I noticed that the WH1C just must have been pushed too hard. Cracks all the way around the exhaust housing.

F83CD7F7-AAA8-4C45-B29D-93F42DA11692_zpstdrma1p6.jpg

Last edited:
I bet that got your attention right quick! You can check your local big rig shops to see if they can get the multi layer gaskets for you. Anyone of them that are Cummins dealers can get them for you and you can pick them up at their parts store. Just call them with a part number. Or call or PM Snedge on here. He will treat you right!

3929881 should be the 4 layer gaskets.

Chris

You're thinking a 62 comp, 65 turbine? What size housing? I honestly haven't done a bunch of research on these S300's.

Last edited:
Yea, I just did some reading and that's exactly what it is. You feel the 57mm comp wheel wont choke as much as the 60mm I have on the WH1C? I need to double check but I believe that the WH1C exhaust housing is also 14cm but with a smaller turbine... From a quick search, these S300's are used for over 700 bucks. I can pick up a HE351 for under 300, that's why I was thinking of going that route; unless someone wanted to sponsor a turbo. This is an unexpected expense.

S300G is a 57mm compressor, 65mm turbine, in a 14CM housing IIRC...

Chris

I was just rereading through my compounds tuning thread. I forgot that you followed it and know all the details of my compound setup, I will take your advice as solid. The main thing that is holding me back is the moneys right now.

Ill try to get better pictures of these cracks. They are on the lip on the inside that's right around the turbine. Pretty big chance of catastrophic failure or not too much to worry about?

Back