$30 per head, per day SDX 2011.

How much do you guys think it costs to put on that event? Gotta pay your people, or those people won't be "yours" anymore.

This is about the 6th time I've saw some one make a post of this nature.

My question is, do you know how much it cost to put on something like this?

It would be a different story if they took the majority of the money and gave it back for prize money. People don't get it. Without the competitors, no event happens.

How many people will come through the gates?

So if I roll in with 5 people in my truck and want weekend passes at at $75 which includes parking fees. So all 5 of us in the truck are paying the same price for the parking of one truck.

1 truck 5 people= $375
5 trucks 1 person each truck = $375 ????

I will probably still go but is it me or does that not make sense.

Thank you. Separate the parking and the event tickets.

i would like to see the purses for the pullers go up with the rise in ticket costs. higher payout=more trucks=better show

i had the opportunity to work the wapak round of nadms pull earlier this year. i was conned into staying for the tug a truck by cory atley. the guy that runs that thing pays for the fair ground rental and police up front. 25k i was told. people could get in for 50 a truckload day of the event. could camp the night before for additional fee. now this crowd was asshole to elbow. anything goes as far as booze. trucks backed right up to the track mounded with people. sheriffs everywhere....you got out of line, bam in a cop car instantly. there lowest payout class was more than a mod class win (we were actually trying to find street tires for corys truck....)

all said and done the promoter walks away with 30-50k for two nights and one day
wake up dan, pay your pullers!

This is about the 6th time I've saw some one make a post of this nature.

My question is, do you know how much it cost to put on something like this?

Right down to the penny? No Sir. I do not, I'm not the promoter of this event and that's none of my business.

Let me ask you the same question, since I enjoyed that huge event you put on last year. Do you know how much it costs?

I do know that it's not cheap, and a mans time is worth something, and there's a lot of men(and women) running around that place working that weekend so we can have a good time.

You guys complaining about paying to park a truck I have a suggestion for ya. The last time I checked these trucks all had a gvw of at least 8k lbs. Leave a couple of the trucks at the hotel and pile in one truck and everybody pitch in a couple of bucks.

It doesn't matter if it costs Dan nothing or $1,000,000 to put this event on, it's $30 a day per head. It is what it is, some of you forget this is a business. He doesn't do this to break even, nobody does. If you're worried about a $30 admission, diesel motorsports is not for you. If someone gave me a used Smarty SSR, or I paid retail for it, it's still worth the same amount either way.

Read the post by rbmedic Travis. It's not that we have to pay for either of them (parking or event) Its that we have to pay for them together. If the guy riding in the truck has to pay for parking bundled into his ticket that's not fair to him.

It doesn't matter if it costs Dan nothing or $1,000,000 to put this event on, it's $30 a day per head. It is what it is, some of you forget this is a business. He doesn't do this to break even, nobody does. If you're worried about a $30 admission, diesel motorsports is not for you. If someone gave me a used Smarty SSR, or I paid retail for it, it's still worth the same amount either way.

I dont mind him making money off of me but when it's obvious gouging, I don't go for that.

Read the post by rbmedic Travis. It's not that we have to pay for either of them (parking or event) Its that we have to pay for them together. If the guy riding in the truck has to pay for parking bundled into his ticket that's not fair to him.

They are riding with you(or whomever). Ass cash or grass. Nobody rides for free!

I dont mind him making money off of me but when it's obvious gouging, I don't go for that.
This argument is pointless. You or I or the "official question asker" have no idea what it costs to put this event on. So saying that it is "obvious" gouging is asinine.

Thank You. You have the same feelings I do on the subject.

Yes sir I do.
So if I roll in with 5 people in my truck and want weekend passes at at $75 which includes parking fees. So all 5 of us in the truck are paying the same price for the parking of one truck.

1 truck 5 people= $375
5 trucks 1 person each truck = $375 ????

I will probably still go but is it me or does that not make sense.

It makes perfect sense to Dan.

I understand that the man has to pay for the grounds for the stupid kids that think its cool to destroy something that does not belong to them. Maybe I missed it the last time I was there but i dont remember seeing anyone getting in trouble when they did mess up the grass or gravel or anything else I'm forgetting. On the streets was a different story. I agree with everyone else, it is a great show. I'd like to go but I don't know just yet.

Last edited:
I figured that would ball park it, I don't know how much advertizing is done, and advertizing is high. I would venture to say that as much is spent on advertizing as it is the pull itself.

Look, I am the same as Daniel, I am all for a man making a buck.

Just think...
Most people just look at the gate collections only when they're thinking about these events. So say they get 5000 people to pay $30 gate. <This is easy, thats only 2500 people to pay on friday and 2500 on saturday. That only adds up to $150,000.

But when you figure in the 15-20% that they make off of Food Vendors, lets say 3 different vendors, each make $15k on the weekend, so a total of $45,000. 20% of that is $9,000.

Then you have sponsors and various vendors who want booths, and many levels. Just guessing from $500-$5000. I would say 15 vendors, a nice low number to be safe, will average $1250 a piece. Thats $18,750.

All these numbers are super low, especially the gate and sponsors. So whats it total up to?

I don't think the payouts for the scheid pulls are that great, especially at the gate fees they bring it. It is a tremendous amount of work, and if you can charge that fee and still fill the stands, and have a great field of trucks, then the price must not be that bad!

I can't count that high, I'm from Oklahoma!!

Now let's deduct....

Sled rental-
Fairgrounds rental-
Drag strip rental-
Equipment to make the pull track smooth and pretty-
Staff-(This is the big number in my opinion)
Security-(I don't think those Police work for free)
Announcer-(Cuz that guys is awesome!!!)

As far as the food thing, I think that is a volunteer thing. Kind of like Boy Scouts or something to help them raise money, so I think we can back that number out.

I'm sure there is some stuff I can't think of, just like I'm sure you are. The point is we could piss and moan about this all day long, but until we put on an event like this and stay up for about 72 hours straight like Dan and some of his crew do we have no idea what it takes.

You guys come if you want. Stay home if you want. The one thing I think we can agree on is that this is one of, if not the best events for us in the country. I won't miss it.

I agree, I couldn't imagine the work that goes into it, and Lord knows the time it consumes.

But it comes down to one thing:

90% are gonna pay it no matter what...and they know it.

There is something about this diesel community, I don't know whether to like it or hate it. It seems as if its all for one, and one for all. Everybody is afraid to say there peace, or rebel against something. They don't want there fellow comrades to thing different of them. Agree or disagree?

Last edited:
I can't count that high, I'm from Oklahoma!!

Now let's deduct....

Sled rental-
Fairgrounds rental-
Drag strip rental-
Equipment to make the pull track smooth and pretty-
Staff-(This is the big number in my opinion)
Security-(I don't think those Police work for free)
Announcer-(Cuz that guys is awesome!!!)

As far as the food thing, I think that is a volunteer thing. Kind of like Boy Scouts or something to help them raise money, so I think we can back that number out.

I'm sure there is some stuff I can't think of, just like I'm sure you are. The point is we could piss and moan about this all day long, but until we put on an event like this and stay up for about 72 hours straight like Dan and some of his crew do we have no idea what it takes.

You guys come if you want. Stay home if you want. The one thing I think we can agree on is that this is one of, if not the best events for us in the country. I won't miss it.

It is by far the best event in the country, DHRA, NADM, etc, can't put on an event of this magnitude!

I know you were just listing a couple of the costs, but don't forget about insurance. That's a good chunk of change too. Like I said, I don't care if it costs Dan $10 or $1,000,000 to put this event on, I'll be there either way and pay the $30/day, to me it's well worth it.

See I forgot one and some kid tripped and scraped his knee and now I'm flat broke and can't take my kids to see Cars 2.

Thank you Dan Scheid for putting this event on so I don't have to.

Just to be clear. It's not that we don't like the event or appreciate the effort. It's when the price goes up this much it throws up the flag for those of us that don't like to burn money.

Look here is what is clear:
He is going to make extra bank by combining parking and event fees and selling more tickets than the stands will allow. It wouldn't be so bad if I knew the stands were full I could go to vendor row and the show and shine until some space might clear up.

I don't mind the $30 total. What I mind is that it's together with parking. Let us in to see vendor row/dyno/show and shine without forcing event admission to an oversold event. I would gladly pay $15 to park and $15 to get in the event when I am ready.

It's not the price point it's the approach. Like I said you can full stands without a full parking lot. If you separate you can have both and make more money.

Clear as mud?

Back