**** Bear Hunter's Truck - STOLEN! **** HOUSTON

Good Luck Bear Hunter, don't accept the offer if your not happy with it.... Insurance companies like to low ball people...

It's bad enough going through the loss of the truck, but then to have to deal with all of the paperwork and the hoops you have to jump through after the loss......I wouldn't blame ya if you were drinking more whiskey these days...:(

Here's hoping you get a decent offer..

I would be very interested in your advice after going through this experience as it relates to dealing with ins companies. Many of us have a lot of time and money in our trucks that is above and beyond what typical book value would place it. What sort of things are they asking for to substantiate your claim?

Thanks guys...

duke1n... I'll put something together and post it after I get the settlement. I'll also ask the speicalty appraiser what he thought about the packet I put together and see if it had any impact on how he came up with the value.

duke1n said:
I would be very interested in your advice after going through this experience as it relates to dealing with ins companies. Many of us have a lot of time and money in our trucks that is above and beyond what typical book value would place it. What sort of things are they asking for to substantiate your claim?

Receipts and pictures Mike. Document EVERYTHING...Too much information is better than not enough.

^^^ true

I created an Excel Spreadsheet that listed all individual modifications in chronological order.
a. Modification
b. Picture Reference (pictures were tabbed in a seperate folder...147 color pics total - printed off a color printer)
c. Receipt Reference (receipts were tabbed in a seperate folder. If I could not find a receipt I got online and printed out a webpage that had it for the price I paid then referenced that item to a picture of it on my truck)
d. Where it was purchased
e. Unit Cost
f. Quantity
g. Total Amount
h. Date Purchased

My case worker did tell me that whoever does the appraisal will see the effort that I put into my packet and will put forth the same effort in assesssing the value.

...We'll see

Bear Hunter said:
My case worker did tell me that whoever does the appraisal will see the effort that I put into my packet and will put forth the same effort in assesssing the value.

...We'll see

LOL LOL LOL Sorry for laughing-Bear, please DON'T buy into that line...... I was told the same thing:doh: And the appraiser came and looked at my truck and proceeded to document a van, a 1500 2wd gasser Dodge, and a 4door single wheel rear truck.... I had to get another appraisal done:dead-horse-fast2: Everyone said I would never get a new hood, but I fought the hell outta them and won.:bigsmile: Stick to your guns, and LOOK OVER EVERYTHING!!! AND DON'T SIGN CHIT IF YOU'RE NOT SURE!! Tell em you need to discuss it with your lawyer before you sign... works everytime.. :bigsmile:

Yeah...we'll see. All they have to go off of is pictures. Luckily I had just taken Pics for HELLA on 2 JUL ... 4 days before it was stolen. But at least I know I have done everything I could on my end.

RacinDuallie said:
Tell em you need to discuss it with your lawyer before you sign... works everytime.. :bigsmile:

Great tip...thanks!

So sorry for your loss. I hate theves. Hope the suckers rot in he!! You ever find em, I want a turn. String em up from the rafters in your basement and we'll all take turns beatin' em with a wiffle ball bat. :evil All 1000 of us!

When I first saw your AV, I stared at it for like three min. She was a beauty. You got some good taste my friend.

Good luck with the insurance. Dollars can never replace the TLC and Care put into a ride, but hopefully it will kick in high gear Project: Bear Hunter 2!

Cant wait to see your next rizzie! :bigsmile:

this theft is sure posted in enough places, hopefully it get found and its not chopped and blocked already bound for for the parts counters

Good luck.....dont forget to remind your ins company the cost of install(s) and time taken to do custom work like frenching in those lights or installing the big-by-huge lift.

Overall you are sure to be at a financial loss here. Hope the offer is at least decently fair to you.

This makes me sick.

I called again this afternoon....

Summary of background info:

1. There are 3 elements involved on my case
a. Case Worker: Dude that I can communicate with
b. In-House Appraiser: USAA rep that appraises vehicles. He faxed off 67 pages of stuff to the specialty appraiser because my truck was too modified to conduct in-house
c. External Appraiser: Thats the "specialty vehicle appraiser" that my stuff was faxed to.

Well my case worker was off yesterday so I spoke with another individual (not working on my case) and they attempted to call the In-House appraiser for a status. The In-House appraiser was off yesterday as well so he left a message to get the status and post it on the computer network. So I call again this morning and now my case worker is out of the office until Thursday. I speak to another individual (not working on my case) and they call the In-House appraiser again to get a status. The In-House appraiser was on the phone so he left a message. He told me that someone would be calling me back this afternoon to talk to me and give me a status report.

On my way to work this morning the tranny on the 83 F150 I am driving crapped out... :banghead:

Still standing by.... I really hate this

Got an offer this afternoon.... and I rejected it.

They wanted to give me $32772.00 for the truck and only 25% of the value of my MODs.

When he asked me what I thought was fair. I told him 35% depreciation on the MODs which would mean they pay 65% of it (given the age and condition they were in). He kept throwing out what I thought about 50%...then I asked him why he was doing that...he said he was trying to get a feel for what I thought was fair so he could go back to his manager with it. I told him that 35% depreciation was it. He then said that personally he doesn't think they could get there with that figure. I then asked for a copy of the evaluation and the total loss report to be faxed to my office because there is no way I was going to accept his 25% and that I needed to seek external help.

He went on to say that they only insure a F250 truck not a modified F250 truck....but they have to take modifications into consideration?...and my policy does not have any limit to aftermarket modifications under the comprehensive policy?

Basically all they did was add the modifications that they thought added to the value of my truck and depreciated those specific modifications which came to 25% of the total of my modifications... He then asked me how much I thought I could sell my truck for and he tries to tell me because of my modifications that I "effectively reduced" the market for my truck and therefore what my truck was worth in its current condition did not apply because it only applied to a very small market segment. I then told him that there is a market for everything and the same people who would be in the market for a mini-van would not necessarily buy a motorcycle and my truck should be reimbursed for the market value to include fair depreciation on my modifications.

So I concluded my conversation with "when can I expect a faxed copy of the evaluation and total loss report?" and he told me that he would need to talk with his manager... I then repeated my question of when I could expect a faxed copy of the reports. I basically got the impression that I would be called with a counter offer tomorrow.

I'm pretty disappointed...I did not expect this much of a lowball from USAA.

Don't get discouraged Kevin, They are playing the game they always play.
I would bet many people jump at the first offer just to put the whole mess behind them.
Stand your ground, and you will get a fair settlement.(I hope)
Dropping the "outside help" probably let them know you are serious.
Good luck

yep they are FEELING you out, not up

allstate did the same thing to us when our rv left my yard with a tornadoe.

stad your ground but be polite dont let em get your goat so to speak.

Be strong Kevin. Tell them that you can get SEVERAL folks from here to vouch for what that rig is worth. Let me know if there is anything we can do to help

Thanks guys...I'll keep you posted. I left a message this morning and asked if he had an opportunity to speak to his mangager yet concerning the issue with the settlement yesterday.

I want this to be over...but I am definatley not going to bend over and grab my ankles.

Back