hx40 or he351

I ran an He351 on my 99' for a few years and with a ported wastegate, it would blow open from drive pressure around 40 psi boost.

After adding a second external spring to the stock wastegate setup, I was able to get the wastegate dialed in at 45 psi. In my 99', this turbo pulled hardest in the 40 to 48 psi range. On the dyno, this setup made 499 HP at 42 psi boost. The He351cw is a great turbo, it has a more efficient exhaust turbine wheel design than the HX35 so although it has a smaller housing it seems to flow roughly the same.

I ran an He351 on my 99' for a few years and with a ported wastegate, it would blow open from drive pressure around 40 psi boost.

After adding a second external spring to the stock wastegate setup, I was able to get the wastegate dialed in at 45 psi. In my 99', this turbo pulled hardest in the 40 to 48 psi range. On the dyno, this setup made 499 HP at 42 psi boost. The He351cw is a great turbo, it has a more efficient exhaust turbine wheel design than the HX35 so although it has a smaller housing it seems to flow roughly the same.

what kind of egt's were you seeing making that much of power?

36psi at sea level
38psi where i live
pump in around 75% turned up.
40hp nozzles.
tourqe converter

the stock intercooler is holding it back

with better intercoolerand head porting id expect around 33-35psi with the pump maxed

Wow! Im makin 36psi now with my H1C and just the pump turned up and stock sticks @1100ft above sea level!! Im scared now to run that He351. You must have it waste gated real low??

Last edited:
I dynoed 307hp with my HE351 with maxed pump and PODs, it hit 42 lbs of boost on the dyno and max egts were 1500* I think drive pressure and low fuel pressure caused that. It would hit 40 lbs of boost with just stock sticks and maxed pump. I had a turnbuckled on the wastegate holding it solid shut, but I had an old J-hook off an hy35 I rigged up to get the wastegate off of drive pressure at about 34 lbs.

I dynoed 307hp with my HE351 with maxed pump and PODs, it hit 42 lbs of boost on the dyno and max egts were 1500* I think drive pressure and low fuel pressure caused that. It would hit 40 lbs of boost with just stock sticks and maxed pump. I had a turnbuckled on the wastegate holding it solid shut, but I had an old J-hook off an hy35 I rigged up to get the wastegate off of drive pressure at about 34 lbs.

how did you guys set up the waste gates. when the he351 is in a first gen you have to clock it for the intercooler and the factory gate wont work. i hit 39 with pump maxed and the wastegate wired closed with 40hp+ nozzles.
the drive pressure is out of line..my head gasket proves it.=weaping outside of #1
i also think my lift pump is not 100%

was going to leave it till a ht4b or s475 gets mounted with it.

should i externaly wastegate it??

Last edited:
Back