hx40 or he351

mtk454ss

Ive debated on which turbo to use on my 90 cummins 5 spd, i now just picked up a really nice He351 off an 05 dodge along with the hx40 ive had for some time? I read the "turbo tryouts" and was exactly the kind of info i wanted but i wanted to hear more input from more people that have ran both or just tried one or the other! Realistically i have no set hp goals, more the better i guess!

Only thing to consider is that i have learned that my hx40 is a volvo variety which i was told and i confirmed that it has very RARE & tiny 56mm inducer and is 6 blade compressor but it is NOT a super 40 like i had hoped (12 blade turbine). It does have 16cm gated housing tho! DSM forums claim that it flows somewhere between a super40 and 8 blade hx40 and there are virtually no flow maps on these volvo 40's...soo im not sure exactly what turbo to use!? My only concern with the He351 is the small turbine being to restrictive and pushing drive pressure to high??

Ive debated on which turbo to use on my 90 cummins 5 spd, i now just picked up a really nice He351 off an 05 dodge along with the hx40 ive had for some time? I read the "turbo tryouts" and was exactly the kind of info i wanted but i wanted to hear more input from more people that have ran both or just tried one or the other! Realistically i have no set hp goals, more the better i guess!

Only thing to consider is that i have learned that my hx40 is a volvo variety which i was told and i confirmed that it has very RARE & tiny 56mm inducer and is 6 blade compressor but it is NOT a super 40 like i had hoped (12 blade turbine). It does have 16cm gated housing tho! DSM forums claim that it flows somewhere between a super40 and 8 blade hx40 and there are virtually no flow maps on these volvo 40's...soo im not sure exactly what turbo to use!? My only concern with the He351 is the small turbine being to restrictive and pushing drive pressure to high??

not sure about the drive pressure compared to the hx40..but there is aftermarket support for twins with the he351 and its a easy bolt on.....

iam going to search about the backpressure on these .you got me curious now:banned:

Port the wastegate on the HE351 and you will be fine.

That's what I did to mine. I drilled it with a 1" bit in a hand drill. Turned out to be about 1 1/16" because of the drill hanging up and busting me in the kidneys a few times. Just right.

--Eric

That's what I did to mine. I drilled it with a 1" bit in a hand drill. Turned out to be about 1 1/16" because of the drill hanging up and busting me in the kidneys a few times. Just right.

--Eric

I had just assumed to block the wastegate on the either turbo i decide to run, I can imagine the boost would be much higher on the He351 with its baby 9cm housing..lol

not sure about the drive pressure compared to the hx40..but there is aftermarket support for twins with the he351 and its a easy bolt on.....

iam going to search about the backpressure on these .you got me curious now:banned:

What kinda boost u makin with your He351?

Mu uncle installed an HE341 on his intercooled W250 and it keeps blowing off the boot that goes from the turbo to the intercooler. Any ideas why, I am sure it was pretty tight on the turbo but it still blows off the silicon boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36psi at sea level
38psi where i live
pump in around 75% turned up.
40hp nozzles.
tourqe converter

the stock intercooler is holding it back

with better intercoolerand head porting id expect around 33-35psi with the pump maxed

I had just assumed to block the wastegate on the either turbo i decide to run, I can imagine the boost would be much higher on the He351 with its baby 9cm housing..lol

Dont block the gate. The tiny wheel and small housing will over speed the **** out of that thing.

FYI HE351 is a super 40 wheel

HE341 is a glorified HX35

Both have a 2.75 compressor outlet instead of the HX's 3"

you'd be suprised. if i pinch the w/g hose and let only drive pressure blow the gate open i have seen 50-55 psi out of my he351 with stock sticks. anything over 40 psi is out of this turbos efficency range and it will blow if you run it like this

you'd be suprised. if i pinch the w/g hose and let only drive pressure blow the gate open i have seen 50-55 psi out of my he351 with stock sticks. anything over 40 psi is out of this turbos efficency range and it will blow if you run it like this

i call bullsh*t..

i have had my pump at runaway and havent seen over 40psi

i guess i'll hafta break out the video camera. this is with non I/C injectors, piston lift pump, dennyt pin, 366gsk, massive afe filter, and pure diesel fuel screw at the edge of runaway. i also built my own I/C piping
P1140219.jpg

Last edited:
That is one nice engine you have there. That looks really good! Is most of that stuff stainless?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

which shares the same compressor wheel as the HE351...

but the 40 only gates half the cylinders. the 351 gates all. if you drill out the gat orifice on a 351, it's tough to beat on a 1st gen

i tacked mine shut because once clocked the wastegate would need custom bracket..i didnt have time since installed..i understand the 351 doesnt like 38psi and a welded gate....

you got a link or any info on drive pressures with this turbo,and the s300/400
iam trying to educate myself on towing twins and drive pressures

iam too much of a newbie to post in the turbo forum and having a hard time with the search button

Back