4020 took a dump. Ideas?

There is a super clean powershift 4555 mfwd for sale near me, 1432hrs on it for a mere 75,000bucks!!! Damm nice tractor but that's a lot of coin. lol

Sadly, it will bring it! Take a look at the machinery Pete page for some crazy numbers!

Sent from my flashscan v2

Ya some of the stuff he covers brings some big money. I've got a soft spot for those tractors but not $75,000 worth of soft spot! lol

Can you find a turbo kit for that 756 in one of the previous posts?

I doubt that. Your best bet there is going to be a junkyard engine to take all the stuff off of.

Who sells a good compete engine rebuild kit for these?

Get me the serial number and I can get you a price. There are a few ranges for them.

I'm sure Abiline Machine has the kits....but after some of the stuff I've bought from them, I doubt I buy any more. Their quality is horrible.

Yeah, trash.

What I use on older tractors like that is Hy-Capacity. I've used them for years, good stuff, and good people. Have a warranty on parts, and labor on certain items, and rarely do we have any trouble.

Chris

Found a 4020 repair kit for ya!

international-1066-09.jpg

I have nothing to add here other than I want a black stripe in the worst possible way.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

So back to the problem, what happened?

Ive seen bolts fall out of the flywheel and get bound up or break the flywheel and cause all sorts of hell.

I got sick Thursday night and am still recovering. I haven't made it down to figure it out yet. I might not even get to it this week. I've got too much crap to do betwinxt now and Saturday.

I have nothing to add here other than I want a black stripe in the worst possible way.

Sent from My phone while the Boss wasn't looking.

Agreed! Luckily I have a 560 and a 966 to paint this year. They will definitely get something like this :rockwoot:

4 pages and no one suggested its a bad ground. You guys are slipping.

It's a bad ground.

That's because they didn't have grounds in '68. It was all virtual power back then. If you reverse the sinusoidal fam in the altimider, the system thinks it is grounded when in fact it is only a mock 3 phase. Swap any two phase conductors and the blinkers will blink the opposite direction.

That's because they didn't have grounds in '68. It was all virtual power back then. If you reverse the sinusoidal fam in the altimider, the system thinks it is grounded when in fact it is only a mock 3 phase. Swap any two phase conductors and the blinkers will blink the opposite direction.
:hehe:
That and they didn't have fuel shut off solenoids until the console models.

:hehe:
That and they didn't have fuel shut off solenoids until the console models.

It is weird how they jumped around with that... our 69 side console 4020 has the solenoid but the way newer 2640 still has the lever...

Does that mean the on is off and off is on???
LMAO!!!!

Driving the 4020 the other day. Just left the cattle lot after putting out a hay bale. Mid RPM's in 5th gear, just cruising through the pasture road.

The engine let out a squeal, locked up, shut the entire tractor down in a quick second. After getting my ass back in the seat, I put it in park. I hit the starter and it turns over, just slower than normal....and seems a little out of balance.

What should I check first? Think I lost the cam gear off the front end? It acts like I don't have any fuel now. It won't even try to fire. Seems cam related.

Any advice before I spin my wheels on it?

Sounds like it ran out of oil!!!!

Sounds like it ran out of oil!!!!

oil?! I have found once you get past a certain point in life you stop worrying about things like that LOL if I don't check the oil in everything myself dad would have everything blown up in a hurry.

Seriously though have ya checked the oil level yet??

Does that mean the on is off and off is on???
LMAO!!!!

No. If you swap any two phases, it will just reverse. If you put on the left blinker, the right one will come on and vice versa. :hehe:

Oil showed to be good. Middle of the "good" zone on the dipstick. I'm feeling better today. I might get it up to the shop in the next day or two. I can finally walk half way normal today.

Got the ol' slug pulled up to the barn yesterday.

Hyd pump is ok. We uncoupled it and it spins ok and pumps.

Took inspection plate off IP. The lower half of the IP is not turning, meaning, the top part with the timing mark is visible, but the lower half of it will not spin at all when being cranked. Also, took off an injection line....no fuel when cranking. Fuel feed to the IP is good as it will squirt using the manual priming pump.

So.....it is either cam gear broke, the cam itself snapped somewhere, or the oil pump/inj pump drive is toasted.

I think I'll pull the valve cover and watch the valves when cranking. I should be able to tell the status of the cam doing that. I have a feeling the first couple cylinders worth of valves or so will move....and the back half won't. If it all moves, I'll have to pull the IP and take a look at the bottom of it. Maybe I just lost the oil pump. Who knows. All I see is $$$ signs.

Apparently, the IP shaft has a "fuse" machined into it, a small diameter spot were it can shear if the pump locks up and keep the failure from taking out cam and gears.

m1d2xUDO0QAzJjH2V_CM9Hw.jpg

I was told that I could take the four bolts out of the speed/hour meter housing and look down into it and see the cam and gears. If those are good and turn with the starter....the IP shaft is toast. Probably due to dirt getting in it or something.

Anyone had this failure and have words of wisdom?

Also taking recommendation for those qualified shops that can fix/rebuild this pump if it is toast. The new shafts can be had for $100 or so. Anyone recommend someone that can rebuild Roosa Master pumps?

Last edited:
It will please me to pull the pump and get it rebuilt.........instead of the in-frame rebuild I was fully expecting. I pray it is all in the IP....even though they are $1000+ new if I can't get it rebuilt for less.

I would think any pump shop could handle it, do you have one local? if you have to ship it anyway call Seth.

Back