4020 took a dump. Ideas?

IP seems good. Cam and oil pump....not so much. Back of oil pump gear is smooth and the cam gear doesn't have any teef left. This sucks.

Found them. LOL

vupy2any.jpg

From dumb phone.

Look around for a complete 404 before you drop too much in parts at JD. We put a 7700 turbo engine in a gas 4020 this winter for ****s. Bought it complete for $800.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Look around for a complete 404 before you drop too much in parts at JD. We put a 7700 turbo engine in a gas 4020 this winter for ****s. Bought it complete for $800.

I'd love to find a complete runner with a turbo for $800. That'd be tits. I'm not that lucky.

Not yet. Maybe tonight. It is out in the other barn that is not enclosed. I hate to pull it all apart out there and leave it set in the moisture uncovered.

Moisture? What moisture? I don't understand, you act like its rained or something. :poke:

We need ours spread out through august.

You know it. But, like I said in Church, we didn't specify "can we get 1 inch per week for 7 weeks." We just prayed for rain. Then we got it. So we'd better shut up and enjoy it before it is gone. LOL

Yeah, its probably gonna stop, then I will have to go to work, wont have time to play on the computer no more.

I don't know why the name of that vid is like that. They were talking about selling deere engines to repower.

IP seems good. Cam and oil pump....not so much. Back of oil pump gear is smooth and the cam gear doesn't have any teef left. This sucks.

Found them. LOL

vupy2any.jpg

From dumb phone.

I want my gold star LOL

4020 injector oil pump drives from the rear of the cam , the drive gears tend to wear out and the oil pump and injector pump don't turn. there is a cover on the side of the injector pump with 2 flat head screws on it ( about 1/2 in. x 1 in.) . remove the cover . remember diesel fuel inside will spill out , you will be able to see if the pump rotates thru this small slot when the motor is turned , another thought broken crank. Dane

We just got one in our shop today with the same issue. Talked to the mechanic who is very experienced in those 20 series Deere's. Says normally this kind of issue all starts from a locked up oil pump.

Oh, there's 4 cam shaft options so engine has to be torn down to find correct one.

We just got one in our shop today with the same issue. Talked to the mechanic who is very experienced in those 20 series Deere's. Says normally this kind of issue all starts from a locked up oil pump.

Oh, there's 4 cam shaft options so engine has to be torn down to find correct one.

Thanks, Todd. Since the oil pump gear is only bald on one side, I figured it had to lock up. Then the cam just spun and ate itself. Yes, there are a lot of cams for this SOB. I'll do a full tear down before I order anything. There might be worse problem when I get in it.

Question for your mechanic: Can the cam be replaced without pulling the head? Can I hold the followers up with something while I pull the cam then pull them out the bottom with the pan off? I notice a little hole in the followers. I'm assuming a person can use a piece of wire for each one with a hook on the end?

Any info would be great. I have the service manual from Deere (a neighbor had one) but it isn't much more in depth than the I&T. Still leaves a lot of tips out.

You can replace the cam with the head on ,12 strong extendable magnetes , some rubber bands, a little ingenuity you'll be able to hold the followers up out of the way while you remove the cam. Dane

I'll ask him. As mentioned I'm guessing it can be done but I'm not sure. Probably be best to pop off a rod and main cap to see what kind of shape the bearings are in. May need a full rebuild as well.

The one in our shop somehow lost the oil pickup screen, sucked a large chuck of steel(size of a ball point pen tip) into the oil pump and stopped right now.

Call your local Deere dealer, they should be able to order a full technical manual with good pictures and full torque specs. May take 1.5-2 weeks to receive because Deere prints them as ordered but they are super nice to have.

My neighbor has an actual Deere manual, but it is for serial 201,000 and up. I think mine is 173xxx or 183xxx. Should be close.

I'm certain no one recommends using the original followers with a new cam, correct? 12 ea @ $12 each. Assuming that is a must?

Back