Nitromethane??

Compression is the big problem with nitro in a diesel. Nitro will not ignite with out compression, not even with a torch "but" compress it and it's another story. I plan on playing with some but I've got concerns about what it will do when you compress it in the injection pump not to mention what it will do with 80 psi of boost with a static compression on 15:1 !!!! Fuel cars are running a lot less compression & a lot less boost . If I recall Scott burned the tips off of the injectors when he tried it. Maybe he will chime in.

... not to mention just getting it into the cylinder - nitro is shock-sensitive under pressure.
We know that it's stable enough up to 700psi (Top Fuelish), but an order of magnitude higher in a diesel injection system is [<=>], depending on the % load.

Just another way to gain an edge in an air-limited class, unless fuel is also spec'd (doubt a load heavy enough to make a difference could escape detection). :Cheer:

BTW - anyone ever seen a nitro sump fire? :)

... not to mention just getting it into the cylinder - nitro is shock-sensitive under pressure.
We know that it's stable enough up to 700psi (Top Fuelish), but an order of magnitude higher in a diesel injection system is [<=>], depending on the % load.

Just another way to gain an edge in an air-limited class, unless fuel is also spec'd (doubt a load heavy enough to make a difference could escape detection). :Cheer:

BTW - anyone ever seen a nitro sump fire? :)

Your talking about fuel psi.....im not supposed to say anything, but they have recently been playing with much higher psi fuel systems...

Be sure to let us know when they're past 20Kpsi - don't reckon we want to blaze this trail... no need for another crater out back of the shop.

Why not de-compress the engines even more and run alcohol. If you are already running nitous and now talking about adding nitro, it's not really diesel powered anyway so go for it. Just don't call it diesel motorsports.

but isnt the term diesel used to describe a compression fired engine, if i rember right the first diesel was running on coal dust to display it at the worlds fair. not diesel fuel as we call it today.
if i had a dyno i would be playing with all types of fuel mixtures to see what really put out the most power. there are more btus in oil than diesel, at what point it becomes a loosing mixture i would really like to know. i bet a 50/50 mixture of 80% nitro and motor oil would make some pretty good power tuned in right, even with a little 66mm turbo.

My daily driver gets better fuel mileage when I mix in used heavy gear oil. For example, on my 98' 12 valve, the running average for fuel economy since I purchased it is about 17.2 MPG. When I add just one gallon of used gear oil, and account for the extra gallon of "fuel source" mileage increases anywhere from .4 to .8 MPG.

I am quite certain this isn't a perceived placebo effect, or me just driving different with the mixed oil, I have several tanks recorded with various mixtures of straight #2, mixed atf, mixed used motor oil, mixed used gear oil, mixed 2 stroke oil, and the heavy gear oil mixtures always return the best fuel economy.

Maximum fuel economy and maximum HP from a fuel might not have any relation at all so without a dyno, it would be difficult to measure the differences.

If mixtures of waste oil burn longer, they could possibly increase mileage simply from the longer burn, however, this might hinder performance in an overfueled higher RPM race application, I don't know.

Hmm, don't think I'd want all the sulphur, phosphorous & chlorine from a gear lube going through the combustion chamber... be better off with a cheap mineral oil.

Hmm, don't think I'd want all the sulphur, phosphorous & chlorine from a gear lube going through the combustion chamber... be better off with a cheap mineral oil.

You common rail guys are so picky about what your motor burns....

My truck's fuel tank is the easiest method of waste oil recycling that I have ever found. I don't seek waste oil to burn, just dispose of the waste/used oil products from my personal fleet in the fuel tank of my daily driver. So far, so good, just don't get carried away with high ratio's of more than 2 gallons per fill-up or you get a little idle haze.

Well, it isn't the fuel injection type I mentioned - any CI engine is going to experience a faster rate of TAN rise in the oil when EPL chemicals are present during combustion.

You common rail guys are so picky about what your motor burns....

My truck's fuel tank is the easiest method of waste oil recycling that I have ever found. I don't seek waste oil to burn, just dispose of the waste/used oil products from my personal fleet in the fuel tank of my daily driver. So far, so good, just don't get carried away with high ratio's of more than 2 gallons per fill-up or you get a little idle haze.

Only problem besides engine oil contamination with the waste oil fuel you are running, is the fact that soot is smaller than 2 micron and is almost impossible to filter, not to mention it is very hard. Barrels and plungers and injector tips don't really enjoy having an abrasive fuel being forced past them at 3000+psi... $.02

Back