Nitromethane??

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
Anybody fool with it? I seem to remember Bentz tried injecting it a long time ago, and a couple tried mixing it in with diesel (including me)......also found this thread...

advance in W/M - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

60hp for 2% nitro in a water meth kit seems pretty crazy....just though since CompD has the injectables forum, I would revisit the subject.

A long time ago I dumped some R/C car fuel in with my diesel (about 2% nitro by my calculations) EGT seemed up a little bit, and then my truck started to idle funny and nearly died at a stoplight. I chickened out and added another 10 gallons of diesel, and it pretty much ran normal. Not sure if it was faster or not by my butt-dyno.

I seem to recall a thread about it a loong time ago...i came away from it thinking that it has potential but no one had the time and money to make it work, including Schied and Haisley IIRC.

But I'll read whatever info is put out there on the subject.

I would guess Nitro doesn't react well to DI fuel pressures, and injectors would take a hell of a beating. Would injector nozzles even survive the heat created?? whether DI or IDI was used??

Like Jason was saying I think Scott Bentz tried it in the rail car and i think he melted a piston or two, that is IF i remember right

I wonder what the autoignition temp/pressure is of R/C car fuel?? I thought about M5 too.....I think Scott said that if his fuel distribution pattern from the injection system would have been better, he thought it might have worked.

I have heard that Banks has been successful using it. They have the mixture just perfect to rid smoke but are able to keep the engine together. But I have also heard that the reason they were having engine problems was due to the nitromethane in the fuel. So I guess its a give and take and is very important to get the mixture just right.

I have heard that Banks has been successful using it. They have the mixture just perfect to rid smoke but are able to keep the engine together. But I have also heard that the reason they were having engine problems was due to the nitromethane in the fuel. So I guess its a give and take and is very important to get the mixture just right.

and whoever you heard this from doesn't have the first clue what they're talking about. There's not now nor ever has been nitro in our fuel. period

only thing nitro offers us over #2 is not BTU's but oxygen molecules only, it accually has much lower btu's, but about 6 times the oxygen vs #2 diesel.

if it were to be used, my thought is that the engine would have to be built like a big turbo, or nitrous engine.

Accuracy of injection and proper atomization would be key here too.

it would need to be injected into the intake to mix with the air right? there would be no way to insure a accurate mix through the diesel, or any other cost effective way for that matter.

I know of someone who injected RC Nitro(small %) with there duramx via 1000psi water set-up. It did not work very well. He told me it had a run-a-way for a second or two.

I know of someone who injected RC Nitro(small %) with there duramx via 1000psi water set-up. It did not work very well. He told me it had a run-a-way for a second or two.

Hmmm....I bet the nitro fuel was getting into an auto-ignition situation then....pretty much the same as diesel fuel only without the precise injection events.

How can anyone inject a fuel into the intake and expect to have any control over when it ignites?

I dont thinking he was looking for control. He turned it on at WOT and pulled the air shut off at the end of the hook. He didnt know what to expect and had the air kill trigger ready in his hand ready to pull if and when things got out of control.

Back