Power Steering Pump Upgrade?

USMCShooter

BrokeandSmiling
What's everyone running now? I've searched several forums and there's a lot of info from 2009-2014, but nearly nothing since then. When searching the P/N's of the ones being upgraded to back then, most are discontinued?

Since the factory box went to the great junkyard in the sky at around 140K, I've had 4 different reman boxes on it...all of them groan within a couple of months....the last one groaned from the minute I put it on...it's got under 10K on it now and is starting to get sticky.

I run 35 inch tires and I upgraded the box to the big one a couple of years ago....DOR steering setup with Heim Joints, Carli Ball Joints (that the bottoms stopped taking grease last oil change and are squawking like crazy...Carli won't honor their warranty without an original receipt from almost 8 years ago...guess I wasted my time spending the money and filling out all the warranty stuff for back then...about to by DynaTracs this weekend.)

I've flushed the system every change and run a filter on the return side...I've heard Dodge changed the design of the pump from a snap ring or bolt on rear cover? Looks like the reservoir is different as well? There's also something called a ZF pump? Like a lot of things there's so much old information out there, I'm not sure what I'm looking at, and I'm tired of changing pumps.

v/r

Jamie

I wouldnt go with Dynatracs, there is a lot of bad stuff about them. I would run EMFs if your looking.

A lot of guys are converting to the new ZF pumps.

I'd love to run EMF's....they were my first choice after doing some research...the problem with them is they're out of stock for at least 2 months. I'm so pissed at Carli right now I could chew nails. I take good care of my stuff, but the truck sat for 6 months while I rebuilt the engine...it's the only thing I can think of that would have caused them to get tight...but to not take grease?

I pulled the zerks and got as much of the grease out with dental picks as a I could, still wouldn't take grease....like it was vapor locked...so I pushed grease in through the zerk hole...drove it around...still tight...but who keeps receipts for over 7 years when they specifically filled out the warranty information....

They even asked me if I remembered where I bought them and maybe I could contact them....ALL of that information was on the warranty information I submitted!

Ive heard nothing but nightmares from Carli's warranty dept from a few guys i know that run them. A lot of denials despite obvious failures.

I had problems with carli wanting to warranty my balljoints with no receipt also , I went round and round with the salesman and was a pain in his ass . Finally got them done but barley . Did you jack the truck off the ground and grease them ?

Synergy joints on my truck (06). I wouldn’t recommend.

Difficult to install lower (have to take the joint apart to get the ball joint press to work). Couldn’t get them to stay adjust for almost a year, kept shearing locking tabs on the adjuster, took the worse of the two sides apart and found the roll pin that locates the bj race fell out and galled the joint but I put a new pin and reassembled, somehow got them to stay adjusted right even with the locking tabs all messed up. Not sure whether the issue was their instructions or my interpretation of it.

They seem to be working now but I was investigating a squeaking noise and found the thrust bearings are not there anymore and I got a 1/4” of end play so it’s parked now (250k miles and not easy miles). Truck needs control arms anyways, worse memory steer I’ve ever experienced, if you try to adjust the caster (which does nothing), on just one side, you can see the arms moving on the frame end, bushings shot, crappy eBay style poly bushing fixed arms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back