97 7.3 questions

jr22

oilfield equipped
After not being home for the pass 18 months and racking up about 67k in that time my old powerstroke needs some help. I have thought of a 12v conversion but am considering other options what do i need to get around 550+hp and over 1100 ftlbs of torques out of a 7.3l ?? I am getting ready to pull the motor for a rebuild and also rebuild the auto trans. the truck has been good to me and is very clean and straight. I have done some research and have thought of a couple of differant option but i fiqured i ask and see what reaponse i get thanks, Jr

To get to 550 I would get a full built BTS trans to hold the power, Stage 3 hybrid injectors, modded H2E turbo, studs, Intercooler, TW chip, guages, 3" downpipe and exhasut, intake, Stealth HPOP, Im not sure if Im missing anything

I am and always have been a Ford guy but if you are ripping the motor anyway you will save a lot of time hastle and money dropping in a 12 valve cummins and running it with a 24 valve pump. easier mods to the cummins will get you to 550 at 1100 ft lbs a lot faster than the powerstroke. Especially if you are ready to dump money into the trans too.... Good luck!

I think he means 24v with a 12v injection p pump. But yeah, cummins all the way. I this months issue of Diesel Power Beans builds a true(NO BS) 7.3 and estimates 15k do it your self with 1000ft lbs. Good luck with your Ford tough with Cummins stuff.

yes it will take thousands 10-20k . You will need billett con rods . A cac if it doesnt have one . Complete fuel system because a huge hpop wont fit with the factory fuel delivery . The mechanical fuel pump has to go anyways because it will only keep enough fuel supplied for about 350 hp . I have spent around 7-8K on mine and will be lucky to have around 425 at the crank .

If you keep it around 500hp you won't have to change rods. Just throw some head studs, dp or wildman tunes, hybrids, modded h2e, fuel system, and oil pumps and you will be over a 1000ft of tq and around 475 to 500hp.
Oh and a good trans.

Last edited:
I really have a hard time seeing that. I know you Ford guys are hard core and didn't realize the costs of power in your rides before you bought them. I look on the powerstroke forum all the time for a friend. There is more threads on there about the dissapointment of power and the stupid cash it takes to compare to a 2nd gen stock cummins. Sorry I had a moment! But really that combo you listed is good for 350hp tops. Oh, and very un fuel efficient. Its cool though.
Ford Tough with Cummins Stuff!

You guys missed the mans question he wants to BUILD HIS FORD!!!
JEESH! I have seen three Cummins blow to smithereens in my locale and never never a Ford. I have 300,000 on my 95 it uses one quart of oil per 2000 miles and has been bulletproof. My 97 just turned 200,000 still doesn't burn oil I love the truck!
.We all drive Fords in wheat country and they hold up! ALWAYS Engine drive train the whole dad gum truck. ! Dodges fall to pieces out here! The oil field men drive Fords> I can't think of one oil pumper that drives a Dodge.
Cummins are far overated not to say they are not a good engine but the man has a Ford and wants to build THE FORD!
faithfully yours
Larry

Last edited:
I really have a hard time seeing that. I know you Ford guys are hard core and didn't realize the costs of power in your rides before you bought them. I look on the powerstroke forum all the time for a friend. There is more threads on there about the dissapointment of power and the stupid cash it takes to compare to a 2nd gen stock cummins. Sorry I had a moment! But really that combo you listed is good for 350hp tops. Oh, and very un fuel efficient. Its cool though.
Ford Tough with Cummins Stuff!

I disagree, I have a modded 38R, PDR CAC, pipes, uppipes and 3" intakes, custom AFE intake, 17* HPOP, Edge Evo, stage one injectors, IDM mod, and a FASS and ran 360hp/840tq on BD's dyno. And I get 22mpg if I stay out of it.... I could probably get more if I went with some TW tunes. BUT it cost me a lot to get to that point, I'm not gonna lie. 500hp is easy with a stroke now, but it's not cheap that's for sure.

I'm not hating the fords obs! Just simply stating it is really expensive. Has any one ever pulled there cummins and put in a powerstroke! Point settled

I'm not hating the fords obs! Just simply stating it is really expensive. Has any one ever pulled there cummins and put in a powerstroke! Point settled

C'mon you know there has to be one knucklehead who has done that... not sure why he would, but you know there has to be LOL Only reason we haven't heard about it is because he knows he would never hear the end of it...

I went the same route once opon a time with a 95F350 sw/sc 5speed. This was about two years ago and a die hard ford friend of mine talked me into. So instead of building his truck he helped my spend my deployment money. Don't get me wrong truck ran very strong. But I hate the idle that the strokes have and the way they sound. I am a die hard cummins guy. Got tired of the old truck and could not stand to part out the motor after all that work and money. Sold it to a bother in law cheap during my divorce. He ended up running without oil and spun a bearing. He dropped a 12v and pump in it and drives it to this day. I have a soft spot in my heart for the fords mostly the 2gen body but I hate the HEUI system. I say put a 24v and ppump it. You will never look back.

Dodges fall apart in the mud in the country they just can't hold up! When did you ever see an oil company driving Dodges or Chevies !
I rest my case.
ROFL

Dodges fall apart in the mud in the country they just can't hold up! When did you ever see an oil company driving Dodges or Chevies !
I rest my case.
ROFL

They aren't telling him to buy a Dodge. They are simply giving him cheaper option to go (Cummins motor). If you have never rebuilt a Powerstroke (not a Ford) than you dont realize the costs that are involved with it. If you have the money laying around then do it. What is the cost of a Cummins conversion any way?

Back