97 7.3 questions

Destroked.com is the place to go, they have everything you would need for a swap.

You guys missed the mans question he wants to BUILD HIS FORD!!!
JEESH! I have seen three Cummins blow to smithereens in my locale and never never a Ford. I have 300,000 on my 95 it uses one quart of oil per 2000 miles and has been bulletproof. My 97 just turned 200,000 still doesn't burn oil I love the truck!
.We all drive Fords in wheat country and they hold up! ALWAYS Engine drive train the whole dad gum truck. ! Dodges fall to pieces out here! The oil field men drive Fords> I can't think of one oil pumper that drives a Dodge.
Cummins are far overated not to say they are not a good engine but the man has a Ford and wants to build THE FORD!
faithfully yours
Larry

I was at 2 different diesel shops last friday . One of them was a Dodge dealer . Between those two shops I saw 4 blown up cummins and one of them was a 2007 with 20k on it .:ford:

I have had 2 powerstrokes a 97 f-350 and an 01 f-250, and my most recent truck i built was the 12 valve in a 97 f-350 (current truck) I have to admit i am a die hard ford guy, and they are by far the toughest built trucks out there, but when you want the most bang for your buck when it come to engine performance you cant go wrong with a 12 valve. The amount of money it takes to build the 7.3 compared to a 12 valve p-pump motor to get to the same 500-600 hp is more than doubled to build the 7.3.

And if you want to check out prices on the swap, I purchased my parts though beans diesel performance. Those were great guys to talk to and if you have any questions they can work with ya

when these swaps are done can a guy stick with the ford trannies or does a guy have to use the dodge junk . My biggest problem with doing a swap is thinking that maybe I would have to downgrade by going to a dodge transmission .

I know chevy has got the allison ( just for the record allison and borg warner have made just about all of the trannies out there since like the 50's ) and it probably saved their bacon . Dodge trannies are junk and most of chevies were too . Those new venture 4500 and 5600 trannies were junk , they had design flaws that caused them to scrap themselves . Chevy and Dodge both use these trannies . One of my friends worked at a drivetrain shop here in Tulsa . He made his living for years rebuilding the nv 4500's and there was never a shortage of work . He built 20-25 per week .

I brought in my ZF-5 because the synchro's were making a little noise after 250k . The guys that worked there for 30 yrs had to get online to figure out how to dismantle it , because they had never seen one before . They could break down the nv's in matter of minutes like a pit crew . So I had them do the bearings and synchros along with the shift forks, but no hard parts had to be replaced at all . I expect to get at least another 250k out of it working it hard the whole way .:ford::ylsuper:

I run the the zf-5, when you talk to beans diesel performance they carrier adapter plates to mate a cummins to about any transmission you could think of.

Dodges fall apart in the mud in the country they just can't hold up! When did you ever see an oil company driving Dodges or Chevies !
I rest my case.
ROFL

Hey hey hey now.I am in the oil feilds and I drive a dodge.We have dodges and fords the 99-02 7.3s and I will tell you rite now it's cheaper to keep the dodges going then it is the fords.And if you want to argue send me a email and i will send you receipts.And if you notice the fords in the oil feild are new fords because it cheaper to buy new ones every 2 years then fix them.And if you look around the chevys and dodges they drive for longer.And I drive a new 6.7 dodge and it's really a good truck so far.put 30k miles on it in 6months and no problems.
I rest my case.

back to the subject.You can't go wrong putting a 12v in it.But it's your money and I have seen rebuild kits for the 7.3 for a decent price if you look around.As with anything it's the labor that will kill you.So do as much as you can yourself

destroked.com check it out.they have the parts to do whatever you want.

Hey hey hey now.I am in the oil feilds and I drive a dodge.We have dodges and fords the 99-02 7.3s and I will tell you rite now it's cheaper to keep the dodges going then it is the fords.And if you want to argue send me a email and i will send you receipts.And if you notice the fords in the oil feild are new fords because it cheaper to buy new ones every 2 years then fix them.And if you look around the chevys and dodges they drive for longer.And I drive a new 6.7 dodge and it's really a good truck so far.put 30k miles on it in 6months and no problems.
I rest my case.

back to the subject.You can't go wrong putting a 12v in it.But it's your money and I have seen rebuild kits for the 7.3 for a decent price if you look around.As with anything it's the labor that will kill you.So do as much as you can yourself
I drive a 06 2500 5.9 truck and it is a pos !!!!!!!! I took it to the dealer to have some warranty work done when it hit 35000 . The truck was spotting my driveway . I took it in and they told me it was a loose hose clamp , so they tightened it . I took it home and it was still spotting. I took it back to another dealer . They said it was a high pressure hose on the ps pump . Before I took it home I went to where they had it parked on their loy . Still spotting . I lost my temper and blew up on the service manager . I said " this is a brand new truck why is there a problem with identifying a leak ? This is not some 10 yr old pos leaking everything with mud and crap all over it to the point where a guy cant rack it and take a droplight underneath and see right where it was leaking " . So we racked the truck took a droplight and I began to eat crow . The truck was leaking coolant in two different places , The high pressure hose on the ps pump was leaking and the overdrive unit on the tranny was leaking . Then I blew up again this truck is a pos it is leaking everything . The tech replied "any truck with 35k is going to be leaking something " . I laughed and laughed . So I told him I have obs ford trucks 250k on them and they dont leak like this . I had faith in Chrysler up until this truck .

have any of you guys used a stand alone trans controller on a obs ?

I dont use one on mine, the custom tuning tunes the transmission on my truck very well

We farm in South GA and had a 1995 Powerstroke blow up at 95000 miles and a 1997 Powerstroke blow up at 92000 miles within 2 months of each other. Not to mention both drove like crap and always had front hub problems and transmissions issues. Now we have a 1995 3500 12 valve with 216000 miles, a 1996 3500 12 valve with 230000 miles, a 1995 2500 12 valve with 206000 miles, a 1995 12 valve 2.8 pulling truck, a 2001 2500 24 valve with 108000 miles and a 2003 2500 Common Rail with 88000 miles. Both of the 1 tons are 5 speeds with the original transmission and the 2500s have IMO the most bullet proof automatic there is for high horsepower applications. The proof is in the 950 horsepower drag truck with a 47rh Chrysler transmission making 10.12 passes in the 1/4 mile in 4 wheel drive(Black Mamba). Also all the dodges drive great and are the toughest work trucks I have ever seen. Sorry for the rant but just had to defend my dodges and I would recommend a 12 valve conversion also, especially for 550 to 600 hp.

I really have a hard time seeing that. I know you Ford guys are hard core and didn't realize the costs of power in your rides before you bought them. I look on the powerstroke forum all the time for a friend. There is more threads on there about the dissapointment of power and the stupid cash it takes to compare to a 2nd gen stock cummins. Sorry I had a moment! But really that combo you listed is good for 350hp tops. Oh, and very un fuel efficient. Its cool though.
Ford Tough with Cummins Stuff!

It doesnt take a whole lot to get 400. Ive got 160cc stage 2s a drop in turbonetics and a DP tuner and it lays down 400 at the wheels. Hell my buddies 96 with a TW chip, casserly stage 2s and intake, exhaust layed down 375+ with a stock fluddering turbo.

Honestly if it were my money and I still had my OBS, I would spend the extra money and drop in a Common Rail. I can't believe how quiet mine is...

Back