Ya wanna know about chips?

'Powerstroke7.3

Hearing Impaired
:ford: I plan to start a thread for the unexperienced diesel driver. I bought my first one three years ago and had no idea what was going on under there. I just want to start by saying that unlike the many gas engines I have bought and built, easy diesel power is chips. I ordered my TS six gun and cold air intake. Thats the name I have given the six position. lol. So for all of you who like me have had the milder chips and no other mods I will let ya know what I think of it as far as a semi-pro dieseler goes. I think though that you should always start out with this basic consept when purchasing a diesel. EXHAUST, chop it. GUAGES, I have the BD Power digital and I love them compared to analog gauges. and finally CHIPS, let ya know how that goes but it looks like the TS is going to be the best over superchips and diablo. :ford:

Calling the TS 6 position chip a Six Gun is probably NOT a good Idea. Banks has the "six gun" name already in use. And it sure aint no TS chip. Sorry
Dont let this stop you from posting. I just thought Id let you know.

JJeepyjohn said:
Calling the TS 6 position chip a Six Gun is probably NOT a good Idea. Banks has the "six gun" name already in use. And it sure aint no TS chip. Sorry
Dont let this stop you from posting. I just thought Id let you know.

LOL......:hehe: ...Yeah I don't think Dennis would like to be compared to Banks like that...........TS products, and Banks products aren't even on the same level. Comparing TS to Banks is like comparing a grade A angus cheseburger (TS) to a soy burger (Banks). In the end both will fill the void. Only one the angus burger (TS) will leave you full, satisfied and happy......:bigsmile: ...... While the soy burger (Banks) just is overpriced, overrated, and leaves a funny taste in your mouth.......:Throwup:....Good luck with your chip......:rockwoot:

I agree. Calling the TS 6 pos a six gun is really ....what's the right word....condescending? Dennis Perry would not be happy about that!

Ok so I hope that someone got something out of this. Next time maybe one post about the EXACT same thing would be just fine. NO MORE SIX GUN.

Ok guys, I think he got the point. Lets not chase him off.

Powerstroke7.3 :welcome: to the site.
Feel free to start a thread for the unexperienced diesel driver.
It would be more than welcomed.

I understand the point everyone made. Thank you for the corrections everyone. I just want to show the unexperienced what I should have known the first time I bought a diesel. Not saying that I am any expert. I just want to share the tips and tricks that I had to learn the long way around.. Thanks everyone for their imput and please add to my threads to help out our black smoke brothers.

Agreed. As long as you tell them to do a lot of research about their truck, engine and the aftermarket, along with steering them away from Banks products you're doing good!:hehe: :hehe:

So I got the TS installed and let me say that it was a pain in the A$$. I wish someone would have told me that before I got it. Anyways it was well worth the pain. It took about 3 hours to install because of all the stuff I had beside the computer from the X-monitor. I love the settings though. I decided to take it easy and keep it on the 100 HP setting for the time being since I dont have any TC or tranny upgrades. That 140 setting is a doozie!!!! But out of all the chips I have tried including superchips I think this one is great. For us unexperienced though the superchip is way easier to install programs it just takes too long and not enough power. TS is an AWESOME product though and I love it. I just hope I dont mess anything up with it.

Oh and I also installed a K&N cold air that sounds great. It looks like it is helping out alot with the EGT also. I think that I am getting back down to 300 degrees alot quicker than with the stock intake

[QUOTE='Powerstroke7.3]So I got the TS installed and let me say that it was a pain in the A$$. I wish someone would have told me that before I got it. Anyways it was well worth the pain. It took about 3 hours to install because of all the stuff I had beside the computer from the X-monitor. I love the settings though. I decided to take it easy and keep it on the 100 HP setting for the time being since I dont have any TC or tranny upgrades. That 140 setting is a doozie!!!! But out of all the chips I have tried including superchips I think this one is great. For us unexperienced though the superchip is way easier to install programs it just takes too long and not enough power. TS is an AWESOME product though and I love it. I just hope I dont mess anything up with it.[/QUOTE]

Pain A$$ to install? It only takes about 30 min or so the first time. Thats cleaning the board off. After the board is clean you can probably swap chips in about 15 min.

Your right though it is a whole lot better than alot of them. Superchips is probably the worst. Their 110hp setting is probably not as good as the 80hp on the TS chip. I ran it once in my 97 to compare and it really sucked. Not much better than stock.

One warning running hard on the 140hp setting will eventually kill the TC.

Last edited:
It was a pain. I had all the wires and a big box beside my computer. I also have never taken the computer out so that added an extra hour to my time just getting it out. Oh and cleaning the terminals takes longer because I wanted to get it right the first time since this is the first computer chip I have installed. The directions specifically state that 95% of probs with it come from not getting them clean enough. PLUS I couldn't figure out how to get the dang computer out because of the plastic connectors on the front of it. So YES for us semi unexperienced it was a pain. Don't fret though if this is your first time. Its not as hard as it really looks and it is well worth it in the end.

[QUOTE='Powerstroke7.3]So I got the TS installed and let me say that it was a pain in the A$$. I wish someone would have told me that before I got it. Anyways it was well worth the pain. It took about 3 hours to install because of all the stuff I had beside the computer from the X-monitor. I love the settings though. I decided to take it easy and keep it on the 100 HP setting for the time being since I dont have any TC or tranny upgrades. That 140 setting is a doozie!!!! But out of all the chips I have tried including superchips I think this one is great. For us unexperienced though the superchip is way easier to install programs it just takes too long and not enough power. TS is an AWESOME product though and I love it. I just hope I dont mess anything up with it.[/QUOTE]

Any chip that you install in the PCM is not that difficult at all. I installed my first one when I was only 15 or 16 and it only took me a whole 45 min to an hour and that was in a 97 and they are harder to install than in the SD. :shake:

Wait. Oh I thought I heard someone that had seen the wiring under my dash. I have a X-Monitor with a big blue box. Plugged into that is the tranny sensor, turbo boost tube, and last but not least a thermocouple. A wire bundle from that runs up to my oh **** handle and plugs into the digital display. All this is mounted right beside my computer plus two other wire bundles connected to the plastic box holding it into place. You cant even see my PCM with all the wires there. So next time I guess I will explain this before all you master mechanics go telling me how easy it was even before you hit puberty. THANKS ALL

Were only joking around with you man. The first time is usually the hardest for a lot of things. :hehe:
Under the dash of my 97 was a complete rats nest. :doh: Big A can comply to that.

anybody ever ran jody's (DP Tuners) F-5 for the 7.3s I to have tried a few chips as well but found that jodys tunes are pretty kick a$$.

Robert

444smoker said:
anybody ever ran jody's (DP Tuners) F-5 for the 7.3s I to have tried a few chips as well but found that jodys tunes are pretty kick a$$.

I agree with Robert, for tuning & customer support DP Tuner is hard to beat.
The F5 from DP Tuner can be hard on your tires though....:evil

Cat_Rebel said:
I agree with Robert, for tuning & customer support DP Tuner is hard to beat.
The F5 from DP Tuner can be hard on your tires though....:evil

I agree about Dp_tuner. When the new mods get put on my truck, i will be upgrading to the F5. Its the only way to go.

Back