Third Airdog motor to quit

Got the new motor on, it sounds decent, but still only outs out 10psi where the original did 40-45. Shipped the other one back as well.

If this one fails I'd expect my money back. I'll take that and buy an aeromotive or something and run it through the air dogs filters.

It's controlled by a spring similar to the overflow valve in the p pump. Nothing changed except for the electric motor but I did pull the spring out after the second burn up and stretched it a bit to try to get some psi but nothing changed.

reason I asked is the airdog II that I have has some o-rings on the plunger itself that have torn and caused low pressure, didn't know if the AD150 had the same setup or the old spring-ball-orifice setup.

I think the motors just aren't reaching their full rpms for some reason, but it's hard to tell. The motor sounds good when theyre running, they just burn up fast.

Could be a wiring problem, what size wire/fuse/relay setup are you running? How far from the battery is the positive wiring run? Also, what size ground wire are you using and how long is it?

Usually I too would be quick to blame the motor but if (3) have failed, you are either extremely unlucky or there is an electrical issue causing low voltage high amperage draw that is overheating and burning them up.

Last edited:
It's all the factory Airdog, lengths and wire gauge 14 IIRC? I wonder if napa gave me the wrong relay?

Anton have the factory relay specs? I brought it in and they matched it up but who knows.

I thought you said you had bypassed the relay all together at one point.

Can you measure the voltage right at the terminals of the motor? Also you can probably measure the voltage drop across the relay contacts.

True I did at one point and it didn't make a difference. I need a multimeter, it was borrowers and never returned.

It's threads like this why i run a stock 6.0L pump for my conversion. You can't hear it run and puts out 65psi at start and 45psi running to my bypass. 150K on the pump too

there's nothing wrong with a gerotor design pump (cummins oil pump?), it's just a matter of getting the right pump displacement with the right motor, they'll get it working right. all the issues I hear of are motor failures, I would also suggest you get a meter on that thing, low voltage will kill a motor pretty quick.

It's threads like this why i run a stock 6.0L pump for my conversion. You can't hear it run and puts out 65psi at start and 45psi running to my bypass. 150K on the pump too

Yeah, because the 6.0 supply pumps are so great that when you make real power with a 6.0, they get ditched and upgraded too. LOL

My cousin has went through 5 AD pumps on his 7.3. He has moved the wires from the battery to the alternator.

Problems have been
1. Wouldn't hold psi at wot
2. Just died on the way home
3. Kept blowing the fuse and he through in a 30 just to get it home from Walmart
4. Low psi so went back to #3 then it died
5. Installed fuel sump and swapped wires to alternator 500 miles so far

Back