Third Airdog motor to quit

RJM06590

What to do
The third Airdog 150 motor quit on me tonight. Some back ground, I installed the Airdog on my truck (it was used) when I got it about 3 years ago. It put out about 45 psi and was loud but worked. It lasted until July this past year and burned up. I thought it lasted a good while since I bought it used. I called Airdog and bought a replacement motor. I replaced the wiring in the meantime since it melted a bit from the original one dying.

I received the motor, put it on and it didn't sound right. It was also running hot in my opinion, also putting out 10 psi. I called the technical department and the guy said some are loud and they run warm. It lasted two days and wouldn't come back on without tapping on it, then not at all. I called warranty and they sent me one right out no problem. Installed it and it wasn't as loud and did run cooler but was only putting out 10 psi. Once again called tech and they agreed it didn't sound right to check the lines in and out. I put on new filters and blew out the lines, also greased the gerotor. It ran great and was cooler but still low on line pressure. Welp it started failing Christmas Eve, wouldn't kick on without a good rap and died this evening.

Anyone else have a similar problem? It's low on pressure, but flows enough to keep up with my 5x.016s no problem. Thank god I have a p pump, it can handle the failures a bit better than vps LOL.

Do you have a prefilter? Like an inline filter in the feed to the airdog

These problems are why I just recently switched to fuelab

No pre, it's a 1/2" line from a sump to the Airdog. I didn't check the voltage since I rewired it.

Edit: I went around the fuse and relay with a direct wire and it ran the same. I did this when it was new before I required it.

Last edited:
my AD 150 motor died on me over the summer. bought a new replacement motor, seems to be working now so far.

Airdogs really need a prefilter to last. Unless your running more pressure than they are built for, then not much will prevent failure

Well you ^don't know how they work then. The gerotor has little to no tolerance for debris and it goes through the filter after the gerotor

Well you ^don't know how they work then. The gerotor has little to no tolerance for debris and it goes through the filter after the gerotor

You think it would be part of their kit then. When mine was installed it was just a draw straw, so anything in the tank is free game to enter the line. bad idea if that causes a lot of problems.

i replaced my AD motor under warranty 2 years after i bought it, still working good but i dont put many miles on it now. the gears looked fine but the motor was pulling 15 to 20amps

Last edited:
The Fass kits didn't used to come with that in line per filter either. I have dug debris, mainly plastic slivers from drilling for the draw straw, out of several of them as well as having the housing remachined for another application. But I suppose that it's not a good idea, I'm a retard

Last edited:
I was under the impression that the water sep was the pre filter?

Me too. I thought it pulled through the first and pushed through the second filter.

I have to admit, I had one hiccup with a locked up motor 24hrs after install. Nothing was jammed in the rotor, but was blowing fuses. They sent me a new pump assembly to attach and haven't had a problem since.

Warranty is sending me another no questions asked. This is great but its going to fail again imo. The motor pulls through the water separator and pushes through the second filter.

The third Airdog 150 motor quit on me tonight. Some back ground, I installed the Airdog on my truck (it was used) when I got it about 3 years ago. It put out about 45 psi and was loud but worked. It lasted until July this past year and burned up. I thought it lasted a good while since I bought it used. I called Airdog and bought a replacement motor. I replaced the wiring in the meantime since it melted a bit from the original one dying.

I received the motor, put it on and it didn't sound right. It was also running hot in my opinion, also putting out 10 psi. I called the technical department and the guy said some are loud and they run warm. It lasted two days and wouldn't come back on without tapping on it, then not at all. I called warranty and they sent me one right out no problem. Installed it and it wasn't as loud and did run cooler but was only putting out 10 psi. Once again called tech and they agreed it didn't sound right to check the lines in and out. I put on new filters and blew out the lines, also greased the gerotor. It ran great and was cooler but still low on line pressure. Welp it started failing Christmas Eve, wouldn't kick on without a good rap and died this evening.

Anyone else have a similar problem? It's low on pressure, but flows enough to keep up with my 5x.016s no problem. Thank god I have a p pump, it can handle the failures a bit better than vps LOL.

We had some issues this year trying to better the system. But not with the current stuff. What is your name and do you have an RGA or -W number? I would like to get them back so I can check them out.

my AD 150 motor died on me over the summer. bought a new replacement motor, seems to be working now so far.

We have been making changes to them for about a year to better them. Unfortunately we learned lots along the way. Some of the problems were hit and miss. Usually if you have faulty pump, it gets a problem pretty early in life. YOu should be good to go for a long time.

Warranty is sending me another no questions asked. This is great but its going to fail again imo. The motor pulls through the water separator and pushes through the second filter.

We will get it figured out. Hang in there with me. I want to get your others back to take a look at the issue. Don't just send it in though. We have to have a number assigned to it or it will get thrown away. Let me know if you need a number assigned. And I'll send you a return label as well if you don't already have one.

i have had an airdog2 165 since 08 an never had one problem, its loud as hell an is set at 60lbs. i must be lucky. good luck to the guys that have been having problems.

I was given a "w" number I'll get it when I get back. The warranty customer service had been great I just don't want to have to do this bimonthly.

Got the new motor, I'll swap it tomorrow and send the burned up one back. It's return number is w-0001666

Back