Gap in classes???

syrupdawg

GA Diesel Mafia
So in NHRDA there is no class that is in between those trucks that are capable of mid 9's and 12.0's? Thats a big gap...why not put in a 12.0 index class?

I agree with the gap between the ET and the first heads up class I think puting a turbo size limit like 71 or 66 mm in super street and making it no spray or water meth would give guys a fun cheaper class to run. also anything alterd wheelbase should have to run pro street. just my two cents

I agree with the gap between the ET and the first heads up class I think puting a turbo size limit like 71 or 66 mm in super street and making it no spray or water meth would give guys a fun cheaper class to run. also anything alterd wheelbase should have to run pro street. just my two cents

Thats still pretty complicated with alot of rules...why not just a simple index class? That way there is no arguing about who does this and who does that. It doesnt matter what modifications you do to get to that time index.

:Cheer: I agree. There's trucks running low10's in super street. IMO thats pro street territory. Its gotten way out of line for a SUPER street truck.

I just dont much care for index or bracket racing just my two cents sled pulling is turbo limited and it seems to work i just think limiting turbo size is like the 10.5 inch tire class do whatever you want but you have to run that size tire.
limiting to a 2.6 turbo and fuel only would make guys tune there trucks better and it would come down to more driver skill thats just my two cents

We did a 11.5 class at Nor Cal Ralley and it seemed more of a heads up race for the street trucks and if you did run faster most truck would not meet NHRA safety anyway, so you would have a safety issue and a break out. I still think the stick shift class guys/girls have the most even if they dont run the fastest number.I think what it comes down to is having enough trucks to fill the classes.

I just dont much care for index or bracket racing just my two cents sled pulling is turbo limited and it seems to work i just think limiting turbo size is like the 10.5 inch tire class do whatever you want but you have to run that size tire.
limiting to a 2.6 turbo and fuel only would make guys tune there trucks better and it would come down to more driver skill thats just my two cents

but that puts the guys out that run small twin set ups like a hx-40 over a 3B. That is a very popular setup for a mild 12 second truck...that what most people that run the 12.0 class in NADM choose. Its simple and CHEAP...so thats a great solution to the problem. In an index class there is still alot of driver skill involved along with precise tuning on the truck. Sticky was running 12.09s and 12.03s in Reynolds the Saturday...you cant tell me that has nothing to do with no skill and tuning.

you make a good point there im just saying what would be good for me i have a 11.2 truck on spray 11.8 on motor so if you make a 12.0 class and leave super street the way it is then guy like me are left out I know they cant cater to all trucks and guys but there has to be a heads up class that you dont need a dedicated twin turbo sprayed truck to win cause lets face it

guys dont drive a super street truckthat does 10.0 to 10.70 with cheater slicks to the office like i drive my truck a couple days a week

We did a 11.5 class at Nor Cal Ralley and it seemed more of a heads up race for the street trucks and if you did run faster most truck would not meet NHRA safety anyway, so you would have a safety issue and a break out. I still think the stick shift class guys/girls have the most even if they dont run the fastest number.I think what it comes down to is having enough trucks to fill the classes.

I like the idea of a 11.5 class just dont know if it could be filled ? And i agree the SS classes need something to limmit entree's , its too tuff to compete right now but I dont think it should be cut back to far , maybe limmit of 10.5 or 10.7 and then you have to step up to pro street ? Big problem is even now there arent enough trucks to fill the class let alone if you put more restrictions up :bang

Then you will get guys that complain in pro street because then you have to run against guys like Malcolm and then the 4x4 trucks are not even going to be competetive. I agree with the split in class but maybe there needs to be the super street class and a slipt form that for the guys that run 11.00 or something like that.

i agree on the 11.50 class you could call it street class.If you need a cage go to super street class.

even at 11.50 its going to take one hell of a street truck to run that number and the roll bar and etc. thats a drag truck to me and if you go out to local drags there is a lot of drag cars trailored runing slower than 11.50. At the Nor Cal diesel rally all the trucks running 11.50 class where not sand bagging.

Last edited by a moderator:
i guess i just find it funny a still drive my caged 11.2 truck bout 4 days a week i like running low 11s and have the cage for it. but for me to jump into super street and win it would take twin chargers dual cp3s and some other stuff im just not willing to dump the 15 more grand into my truck i was hopin for a faster class that uses cheaper more common parts

i guess i just find it funny a still drive my caged 11.2 truck bout 4 days a week i like running low 11s and have the cage for it. but for me to jump into super street and win it would take twin chargers dual cp3s and some other stuff im just not willing to dump the 15 more grand into my truck i was hopin for a faster class that uses cheaper more common parts

11.50 class, would be a good class for truck like this, most people would be 3 tenths shy or more and you would have it covered ,big advange. Its easier to go slower than faster .

problem one slow down I seem to have this strange need to push my truck as hard as it will go all the time this is why im a bad bracket racer i wont let off even when im guna break out lol

even at 11.50 its going to take one hell of a street truck to run that number and the roll bar and etc. thats a drag truck to me and if you go out to local drags there is a lot of drag cars trailored runing slower than 11.50. At the Nor Cal diesel rally all the trucks running 11.50 class where not sand bagging.

Theres alot of them out there and faster, and some are daily drivers!

A street class with no cheater slicks would be nice you dont drive your 7000 pound pickup around all year on drag radials must have steel body panels and factory glass just some things im throwing out there

A street class with no cheater slicks would be nice you dont drive your 7000 pound pickup around all year on drag radials must have steel body panels and factory glass just some things im throwing out there

Why should we even worry about tires as long as there DOT , if the class is capped at 11.5 then how you get there should be up to you .

And to the other post about street trucks not being able to be 11.5 trucks , On a single cp3 i went 11.6 , stock motor , and bolt on twins still small enough for me to tow my 5th wheel on the weekends . it can be done ................

Just another couple of data points - I have personally seen Rip Rook's caged truck driving around town (runs 10.30's fuel only), and also seen Paul Breedlove's low-11-second truck on the street.

I have seen some NHRDA events this year where 12-second trucks won Super-Street. Sometimes it just means having a truck that makes it down the track every pass.

There are some interesting discussions going on amongst NHRA racers right now, as many are worried about NHRA dropping the classes which are tougher to tech (i.e., with a lot of rules). While most classes are suffering from poor turnout in this economy, Top Dragster and Top Sportsman are expanding (and will be contested at select national events next year). These are just bracket classes with a qualified field, like a Quick 16 or Quick 32 from the old days. I'm not saying that is the right thing for diesel racing, but just interesting info to consider.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

Back