CNG system on Diesel Power Challenge truck 38mpg!

I just checked and CNG is available less then 10 miles from my house mummn.. its at the State DOT and they have a Public fill station...I'll have to check the price etc...I wonder what a 12 v ve cummins would do or a common rail 3.9 Cummins?
Thanks,
Deo

So if you are getting 50 miles to the gallon...that means??? I'll guess that means 1/2 gallon of gas and 1/2 gallon of Diesel will take you 50 miles?

I think its a GREAT way to do things and I applaud your work. I'm just a little lost about the volume part?

If it's 3 parts CNG to 1 part diesel to max it out and let's say we get 50 MPG, is that diesel MPG or combined MPG? If combined at 3:1 it would be 16.7 MPG on the CNG, which gives you a NET MPG of 12.5 (3 gallons of CNG and 1 Gallon of Diesel = 4 gallons of fuel total to power the truck 55 miles)??

BUT . . . if we did get a genuine 50 MPG of all fuels factored in that would mean a total of 1 quart of diesel burned and 3 quarts of CNG burned per 55 miles. Sorry but I'm very skeptical, this would be the rage if it were indeed the case.

This reminds me of the using propane for diesel MPG improvement hype back in 2000. . . yes it improved diesel MPG, but then when you did the math and calculated the combined MPG. . . wallah . . . it was worse. BUT the good thing is. . . if propane is a lot cheaper than diesel then you'd end up dollars ahead using some LPG to displace diesel.

Anyway I won't be doing CNG, the closest station is 220 miles away!

Vaughn

I wonder what happens when an injector hangs? What is the gas again, 3 or 6000 to one? What are the exhaust temps?

Any ideas about whether or not someone has come up with a kit that will work on a 12v? I have CNG heat at home and a 48" pipeline that runs though my dad's property... So getting CNG is easy. Also, would a propane tank work for CNG? I have a couple of 100# tanks I could use that are free :D

Any info on a 12v set up would be great!

I imagine that CNG is used just like propane; low pressure fumigation into the air box?

I think that liquid gas has a lot more potential, personally... :evil

Back