your set up plus dyno numbers 12 valve only.

I have a 369 .91 t4 showing up tomorrow to start messing around with. Will be replacing a gtx40r.

We are going to start testing several different flavors of SXE here in the next week or so on our shop truck 12v aka Oscar.

We ran a 2006 megacab last week with 100% stock setup when the customer arrived other than a 4" Exhaust System. He left with an S369sxe w/.80 wastegated T3 housing, PDD 850 HP tranny, and the customer sourced his own tuning: EFI by Ryan (Hardway) tuning.

The best pull was 537.4 HP and 1081 TQ uncorrected here at 5700'. The customer did not have gauges and it was late when we got everything buttoned up and on the dyno so we didn't even rig up a temporary EGT gauge or boost gauge. :evil

Do you have rpm for those numbers?

97' 215 pump 5 spd

5x14s, 191's, 4ks, 22*, pusher pump (40psi FP during dyno run)

He341(56mm) / GT4294(71mm) compounds

497hp / 1022tq

All four runs truck was spininig tires on the rollers.

d99247fd51deb73b410ec3e406a9b0c2.jpg

That 2006 Common Rail made peak power around 3100 rpm as I recall.

Here's the hour long video feed with split screen showing the dyno, lots of free info if you can handle the long unedited feed....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2KtwFw7zE4

You almost needed the whole hour to spool! Lol. Definitely would've done better with bigger fuel. Was the tuning he had conservative? Ryan usually likes to max out hard parts, especially fueling.

here's my setup:

borg warner sx-e 64.5/73/.9 T4
steed speed
22* timing
fass 220 gph (55 psi at wot)
power driven 7mm dv's
infinite perf 5x.16's 155*
4k gsk
afc live race (I see 50 lbs boost)

I don't know what power I am making, but I have to tell ya.....it doesn't seem that fast. The motor is a 96 ppump 12v but its in a 92 rclb 1st gen (which only weighs 5400 lbs). I know I have 33's that are 14" wide, but I always hear people saying they can spin the tires at 40 mph etc and my truck barely seems like its throwin me back in my seat. I went with the 64.5 to make it a driveable truck, but I'm almost thinkin I should have went with the 69. I guess I should be happy at my power level because even though my old second gen felt faster with the 66mm and 5x.18's, it was a pain to drive and keep everything in check. Maybe I just need a second turbo haha. Egt's at wot are 13-1400, and when I get on it, it'll smoke a bit and then lite the charger and it whips right up to 45 lbs boost so everything seems like its working properly. If I'm at 500 hp, it doesn't feel like it. Other than that, I do like the charger for what it is.

here's my setup:

borg warner sx-e 64.5/73/.9 T4
steed speed
22* timing
fass 220 gph (55 psi at wot)
power driven 7mm dv's
infinite perf 5x.16's 155*
4k gsk
afc live race (I see 50 lbs boost)

I don't know what power I am making, but I have to tell ya.....it doesn't seem that fast. The motor is a 96 ppump 12v but its in a 92 rclb 1st gen (which only weighs 5400 lbs). I know I have 33's that are 14" wide, but I always hear people saying they can spin the tires at 40 mph etc and my truck barely seems like its throwin me back in my seat. I went with the 64.5 to make it a driveable truck, but I'm almost thinkin I should have went with the 69. I guess I should be happy at my power level because even though my old second gen felt faster with the 66mm and 5x.18's, it was a pain to drive and keep everything in check. Maybe I just need a second turbo haha. Egt's at wot are 13-1400, and when I get on it, it'll smoke a bit and then lite the charger and it whips right up to 45 lbs boost so everything seems like its working properly. If I'm at 500 hp, it doesn't feel like it. Other than that, I do like the charger for what it is.

Boost leaks? What cac? Might bump timing also.

bhaf into charger with v band elbow into stock intercooler pipes, 2nd gen style intercooler, stock intake horn. all PDR boots. New intake gaskets etc so there shouldn't be any boost leaks and I am seeing 50 psi. I had a s400 64/87/.9 on there before, full cut dv's, and 18* timing, and it felt faster than now, but the egt's were insane. I don't know....maybe it is fast for a truck and it just doesn't feel like it?

bhaf into charger with v band elbow into stock intercooler pipes, 2nd gen style intercooler, stock intake horn. all PDR boots. New intake gaskets etc so there shouldn't be any boost leaks and I am seeing 50 psi. I had a s400 64/87/.9 on there before, full cut dv's, and 18* timing, and it felt faster than now, but the egt's were insane. I don't know....maybe it is fast for a truck and it just doesn't feel like it?

Cooler can still be leaking. Well worth the check.

I just might do that. I wonder how much these chargers can be pushed. Being non wastegated, I figured 50 was a safe number so as to not overspin the s300.

The second half of the video is a couple dyno runs with a new 362 SXE machined for 2nd gen discharge elbow, and fitted up with a .70 AR wastegated T3 housing. This 98' 12v did just over 500 HP and 1100 FT LBS uncorrected on our Mustang Dyno at 5700' elevation. The relatively flat HP curve closely matches other dyno results we've seen on trucks/turbo setups that are "fuel-limited" not air-limited.

Fueling setup is a factory 180HP pump with 24* timing, PDD 5x014" 155* sac injectors, 024 DV's, 4k GSK, PDD Stage 1 lift pump, AFC LIVE Tuning.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9-mK_SE6Q"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9-mK_SE6Q[/ame]

Last edited:
Fuel limited? So are you saying that is not a optimized combination of parts? I was looking at the same turbo and .70 housing for my 160 pump swapped D250. 155* injectors? Swapped out his pistons or spraying out the bowl?

Fuel limited? So are you saying that is not a optimized combination of parts? I was looking at the same turbo and .70 housing for my 160 pump swapped D250. 155* injectors? Swapped out his pistons or spraying out the bowl?

By Fuel Limited, I'm implying it's not "out of air", the turbo could support more HP with more/better fueling. This is a street truck, daily driver, tow beast, so the owner wouldn't be best served if we bumped the timing up farther or went with larger injectors. It's an honest 500 rwhp truck that spools well, tows well, gets excellent fuel mileage, and is tuned to run clean. It's a great combination for a street driven 12v single turbo setup.

As far as piston bowls, this is a fresh engine build with new wider bowl pistons, it's definitely spraying "in the bowl".

I reread my post. It was poorly worded and frankly not all that useful. I guess I was just surprised that a 180 pump at ~24* with 5x14 was maxed at 500hp worth of fuel. Im curious if the AFC live was tuned for max power or some kind of EGT/smoke compromise.

BTW I'm seriously looking at getting this turbo from you guys. Hence why I ask so many questions. It does look like it hits a sweet spot on these trucks. Anything more and I'll need billet input/output shafts on the trans but it cheap enough that it's not far off a set of budget built compounds. Just alot easier to set up.

By Fuel Limited, I'm implying it's not "out of air", the turbo could support more HP with more/better fueling. This is a street truck, daily driver, tow beast, so the owner wouldn't be best served if we bumped the timing up farther or went with larger injectors. It's an honest 500 rwhp truck that spools well, tows well, gets excellent fuel mileage, and is tuned to run clean. It's a great combination for a street driven 12v single turbo setup.

As far as piston bowls, this is a fresh engine build with new wider bowl pistons, it's definitely spraying "in the bowl".

The timing seems high for a street truck? I'm looking at going up in power on my dd. I'm send my pump to Seth to go over an do some minor tuning. What loss would be had running a lower 17 timing? Is the 24 gonna harm the motor? Do you have a video of what the power is around 1800? Also when the turbo starts to come on compared to stock? I'm contemplating going budget twins but this does look appealing. does the .70 cause high drive pressures?

Back