Automatic vs Manual

Linkster102

A couple buddies and me where comparing an automatic diesel and a manual diesel transmission for drag racing and an automatic transmission vs manual transmission for a gas car. We come up with the fact that an automatic transmissions for a diesel is better for speed in a diesel because they hold there boost and takes less time time shift and a manual transmission in a car because they have short shifts and can hold there rpms. Any suggestions of why this could be true or why it couldnt be true? Also what else is the benefits for either/or?

A good working auto is "faster" than most stick vehicles in any situation. Given the fact that 90% of people cant shift to save a life, the auto wins in drag racing. But there will always be that other 10% that will run faster with a stick...
Also a torque converter and gear ratio change can make a world of difference in how an auto works and what rpm the engine holds.

so your saying that if you are excellent at driving a stick and drive a truck that runs a 1/4 mile in 10's you have no advantage with either a stick or an automatic? I have a hard time believing that because i have always been told that an auto in a diesel is faster with lots of hp. If this is true then why are most gas motors faster with a stick?

why are boobs good? why is the sky blue? ....it just is!!! just like an auto is faster in a diesel, as is an auto in a gasser... some might make you think a stick in a gasser is quicker but its not, trust me, with the right convertor and valve bodie it will blow the doors off a stick car...

Automatic, regardless of gas or diesel.

Any turbo car that is designed to spend time at a drag strip without one is just plain stupid.

so your saying that if you are excellent at driving a stick and drive a truck that runs a 1/4 mile in 10's you have no advantage with either a stick or an automatic? I have a hard time believing that because i have always been told that an auto in a diesel is faster with lots of hp. If this is true then why are most gas motors faster with a stick?

How many 10 second stick trucks do you know of?
Most gas motors feel faster than an automatic on the street because in factory trim they have a more direct power transfer. Now when you build an auto trans with good parts that all work with each other, you have a much better power transfer than you did on a stock trans. BUT do not take this literally for every truck/car, chevy ford and dodge all have their own attitudes.
Auto rules the track regardless, for fun street use a stick may "feel" faster. I think im in the 10% that can shift, and my car is 2 tenths quicker with a built Th-350 vs a Muncie M21

a built auto in a diesel will maintain boost while shifting by constant applied load!

manuals, you still have to hit the clutch and take the load off the respool every gear! IMO,

I sure as hell can't shift as fast an auto.

yeah how can you say that they are better when im hearing that if you are excellent at driving a stick they are both equally the same?

a built auto in a diesel will maintain boost while shifting by constant applied load!

manuals, you still have to hit the clutch and take the load off the respool every gear! IMO,

I sure as hell can't shift as fast an auto.
I never once have to re spool between shifts and neither hit the clutch between gears...heck my stock 04.5 with NOTHING but smarty and clutch runs 13.20's back in 08 at 4 different tracks, now we are rebuilding it complety of course

yeah how can you say that they are better when im hearing that if you are excellent at driving a stick they are both equally the same?

They never will be.

Anybody who says that they are excellent and CONSISTENT at driving a manual transmission is probably making some pretty slow passes and/or isn't making much power.

I've been down this road before with a drivetrain that no decent automatic was available for. I could race it ok (I'm certainly not the greatest manual trans race car driver but not bad either), but I broke a ton of driveline and transmission parts and was never consistent.

i personally like the feel of a manual wayyyy better than an auto. Plus, it actually takes skill to drive a manual. sure an auto may shift a little faster than my worn out 305k mile tranny, but i haven't had to rebuild it yet, it holds the power, and IMO its more fun for ME to drive. Most people may not like a manual tranny, but it suits my driving style. i will not have to respool much if any with the turbo setup i plan to run anyways so a manual shouldn't hurt me much on the strip.

the biggest advantage to an auto is the ability to spool on the line. in a manual trans you cannot spool up the turbo before launching which will throw the auto out there quite a ways depending on how long it takes for the manual truck to spool.

really its all in how your going to set them up. an auto can be set up to be FAST and a manual you gotta really know how to shift to get it to run right.

i personally like the feel of a manual wayyyy better than an auto. Plus, it actually takes skill to drive a manual. sure an auto may shift a little faster than my worn out 305k mile tranny, but i haven't had to rebuild it yet, it holds the power, and IMO its more fun for ME to drive. Most people may not like a manual tranny, but it suits my driving style. i will not have to respool much if any with the turbo setup i plan to run anyways so a manual shouldn't hurt me much on the strip.

the biggest advantage to an auto is the ability to spool on the line. in a manual trans you cannot spool up the turbo before launching which will throw the auto out there quite a ways depending on how long it takes for the manual truck to spool.

really its all in how your going to set them up. an auto can be set up to be FAST and a manual you gotta really know how to shift to get it to run right.
I agree with you but a manaul can launch really hard without building boost with the right turbo application and of course driver

Not talking about DD preferences here. I prefer a manual too, but an auto is faster down a dragstrip.

Back