30+ mpg again

If you can't get over 140, might as well put a grille block in too! I saw 3-4-ish mpg more from a grille block and no fan on my old 97. Ran hot, but never overheated.

So what do you consider the single biggest advantage? I'm gonna say the gear vendors or dropping weight.

i believe a wrmer engine will make it more efficient... also get a shorter belt to run just the alternator and water pump.. thats how i did it, and you can lose the fan hub and fan which weighs about 15 pounds... just throw on a smallish electric, you wont need much to keep it cool...

my next goal is to remove the cooling fan and i already gutted most of the un-used wires out of the engine bay i must have had 5lbs of wiring/tape. i also need to find out why the engine temp isnt getting over140*. im thinking stuck thermostat

Which thermostat do you have in there? I had my stock 190* (the one that swings up and down all day) and decided to replace it when I rebuilt so I went to Cummins and they gave me a 180*, and to get it over 145ish you have to pull a hill or find some other means of keeping it over 900* EGT, and that's with the grill block plates. They do run more efficiently at 190*-200* though, I'll tell you that much. What are the exhaust dimensions on that 62? I bet a turbo with a less restrictive exhaust side would do better than one that creates high drive pressure. (i.e. 60/71/14 getting better mileage than a 60/60/9).

Get a 205* thermostat (for a Powerstroke) yeah, I know, and a peice of snow plow rubber edge for behind the front bumper.

And air up your tires to max. And wash and wax that bad boy, cool project.

mythbusters are two idiots from Berkeley CA nothing they say should be taken as fact. As a matter of fact they aired a show saying you could not be electrified by whizzing on the third rail for an electric train, the next week a guy died in London by whizzing on the third rail. The info they give out on that show should be taken as seriously as any of the other countless TV shows, for entertainment purposes only.

Exactly. Their testing methods are laughable most of the time.

i believe a wrmer engine will make it more efficient... also get a shorter belt to run just the alternator and water pump.. thats how i did it, and you can lose the fan hub and fan which weighs about 15 pounds... just throw on a smallish electric, you wont need much to keep it cool...

Did you find a belt that eliminated the fan hub all together? If so, can you give me some information on it. Thanks.

well the truck wieghs 6100lbs with me (185) in it, tail gate and 1/4 tank of fuel. it would be nice to get rid of the entire fan assembly. if you can get me a P/N for that belt i would appreciate it. I think the biggest advantage i have is the gear vendors and low diet that my truck has. im probably going to run without a tailgate since the one i have now makes to much noise. the IIPS is a 62/71/14

Do you have the pn# for that belt?

Id try it, I never tow.

The belt is a K080496 made by gates, on my 24v, which I believe is same as a 12v it goes around crank, under water pump over alternator and outside of tensioner... There is a dayco 89103 8 rib tensioner pulley that crosses to gates also. Is about 55 bucks for the 2

I'm interested in the timing factor in it. Wasn't Garmon getting 30+ mpg and running 30*+ timing?

With some different injectors and more timing I would think you could squeeze a little more out of it.

The belt is a K080496 made by gates, on my 24v, which I believe is same as a 12v it goes around crank, under water pump over alternator and outside of tensioner... There is a dayco 89103 8 rib tensioner pulley that crosses to gates also. Is about 55 bucks for the 2
This probably a stupid question, but oh well. Is the tensioner needed to run without the fan?

That's weird that my EGT is lower than yours (c.550 at 65mph) but I'm getting worse fuel economy...I'm going to say the 6x16 injectors might have something to do with it. ;)

Do you get much belt wrap around water pump with this setup?

What do you guys think of these future mods:

• aluminum DS
  • removed fan
  • removed hitch
  • removed tailgate
  • shorter or removed antenna

Back