30+ mpg again

crabbelle

Banned
after i think 3 years the truck has came full circle.
right now my current setup
  • stock bottom end
  • o-ringed head with mild porting to the exhuast side
  • upgraded valve springs
  • ddp 4 injectors
  • stock 175 pump with 191dv's
  • IIphat shaft 62 over a S483 with race cover
  • stock injector lines
  • helix2 cam
  • airdog 150
  • lowered 4" all the way around
  • sport front end
  • i cut away some un-needed frame brackets
  • 0 fuel plate FF with basic afc mods (pre-boost is backed out and star wheel is halfway, still has factory spring)
  • south bend single disk
  • still rocking the gear vendors
  • 245-70-17 firestone Transforce HT tires

running down the road @ 65 mpg my EGT's are 650-800 and both the boost and drive pressures are 1-3 psi. i havent done a full tank yet but ive driven about 250 miles and im may have burned a little less than a 1/4 tank. heres the tread a start a few years ago. will keep you guys posted as i go. in the pic it's parked next to a stock height 2wd F-150
33 mpg - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

0326011819a.jpg

Last edited:
Get some wheels....and GOOD JOB! I'm at 27mpg right now, which is good enough for me.

bout the only thing you can add to the truck to help w mpg is a toneau cover. help the air roll of the back like a ducks asss

bout the only thing you can add to the truck to help w mpg is a toneau cover. help the air roll of the back like a ducks asss

actually the cover doesnt do any better than with the tailgate up. (myth buster proven). but they did prove that with a mesh tailgate it improved 9%. with the tailgate down it decreased. apparently the wind hits directly on the tailgate causing drag, with it up 1/2 the wind tumbles in the bed but the other half flows over the tumbling and over the a$$ end. so im just going to swap out my stock tailgate with a 5th wheel tailgate that i have and see if that helps. atleast it a wieght lose.

actually the cover doesnt do any better than with the tailgate up. (myth buster proven). but they did prove that with a mesh tailgate it improved 9%. with the tailgate down it decreased. apparently the wind hits directly on the tailgate causing drag, with it up 1/2 the wind tumbles in the bed but the other half flows over the tumbling and over the a$$ end. so im just going to swap out my stock tailgate with a 5th wheel tailgate that i have and see if that helps. atleast it a wieght lose.

I watched that MythBuster's episode. While they seem to do a good job testing myths, that test was performed on a small Toyota pick-up correct?

Although I fully believe their test results, I don't believe that our full-size Dodge Ram pick-ups will necessarily have the same results. You'd have to test it to know for sure.

I've also noticed that you're a big pusher on the 18* being ideal for fuel economy, I'm in the middle of an injector swap/ timing tweaks fuel economy test and 18* is one of my timing settings I'm going to test.

Have you tried 16, 17, or 19*? I've set two of my buddies mild (non-agressively driven) trucks to 18* and both claim they lost 1 to 1.5 MPG. Because of their claims, I've embarked on a larger scale test with my personal vehicle to try to find the optimum timing for my truck with two different styles of injectors.

Last edited:
well right now im timing is at 20* but when i was running a single is was at 18*. i know different engines are not going to react the same way, but also some people tend to push there trucks harder after the timing swap without really realizing it. i know i did, but theres alot of variables that needed to be added in when doing time. all the way down to head gasket & injector washer thickness.

well right now my timing is at 20* but when i was running a single it was at 18*. i know different engines are not going to react the same way, but also some people tend to push there trucks harder after the timing swap without really realizing it. i know i did, but theres alot of variables that needed to be added in when doing time. all the way down to head gasket & injector washer thickness.

im also considering next winter swapping out to a 24v head and other needed components for more air flow but will see how this summer goes. i doubt i will swap out to new wheels/tires since these are brand new and i wanna run a tall/skinner tire

Last edited:
I recall you were running that custom air dam. Are you still using it?

I noticed the new Ford 6.7's have a pretty big rubber air dam under the bumper, it's probably there purely for better fuel economy.

my next goal is to remove the cooling fan and i already gutted most of the un-used wires out of the engine bay i must have had 5lbs of wiring/tape. i also need to find out why the engine temp isnt getting over140*. im thinking stuck thermostat

Anyone else notice mythbusters did measure return flow on either vehicle?

mythbusters are two idiots from Berkeley CA nothing they say should be taken as fact. As a matter of fact they aired a show saying you could not be electrified by whizzing on the third rail for an electric train, the next week a guy died in London by whizzing on the third rail. The info they give out on that show should be taken as seriously as any of the other countless TV shows, for entertainment purposes only.

crabbelle good work on the mpg.I get 30mpg out of my 72C10 long bed with a 93 CTD with 3.08gears 5sp Nv4500lt duty with 29" tires POD injectorsBD fueling pin timming bumped till pump hit the head.no muffler some day I make some 4" system for it.
I am in the prossess of putting a Allison 6sp out of a 06 shooting for upper 20's have 3.54 I have gotten 24mpg befor with it that was driving real easy.

Dale

Get her done! I got 27.9 last weekend on the way to goliad, cruising 70 and with traffic, loaded, and smoking that c5 vette, and with short tires and 3.42 rear gears... I am going for more myself! Keep us up on it and good luck!

Back