Porting the new Hamilton 12v head.

That Mondello article has some really strange statements in it...like so strange that they make no sense whatsoever...

"You must have sharp distinct angles on the intake valve to shear incoming fuel to eliminate vortices that try and form in the quench area of the engine."

Wha?

"Coating the undersides of pistons helps oil shedding resulting in a cooler running piston." Really?

Looks like a simple mistake on the line referring to a gas engine.

He's an extremely smart guy with every possibly piece of top end test equipment at his disposal. He spent the first 3 days this week working with my head porter on the first two (yes only 2) ports of my new head. Lots of flow bench time :Cheer:

I didn't take it as mixing info... he mentioned full radius seats and then mentioned that wet flow needs angles

OK, but when I was taught how to write technical articles, if the subject matter is 100% diesel (a dry flow engine), why bother with mentioning wet-flow stuff unless you're using the phrase "in contrast to heads for SI engines which need X, diesels like Y..."

Either way, interesting.

I guess I have a beef when someone who is otherwise respectable says "head porting is art, not science". No, it's science all right, we're just not applying the right sciences if they fail to explain what proves itself on the dyno.

I'm sure the all the PhDs on F1 teams would read that statement and chuckle.

Last edited:
All good discussion! There will be a learning curve with this head. Swirl is all but gone, seat angles are modified, flow numbers from just off the seat to over.700" are greatly improved, and distribution to the intakes and runner pulses are modified. If someone thinks just buying this head and bolting it on is going to fix all of their tuning mistakes and poor parts selection they are mistaken. I'm sure that there will be a few folks that will find a way to lose power with this head due to poor tuning and incorrect cam selection. Greg was careful to keep the exhaust port modest and focus on port shape for street trucks. To be honest I ran out of time for testing in the days up to my wedding.... The good news is hopefully after some time to get a little smarter on what all this head wants I can give you full data acquisition prints to help you tune your trucks, after the honeymoon that is.
What we have learned so far.... The aggressive intake ramps with big duration above.200" and short time at .006" with this head show bigger gains over the other guys' cams than they did with the stock head. All that to say cam selection will be much more important with this head over the anemic stockers. I hope to loan data loggers to the first 10 or so guys that buy the head so I can get good before and after hp numbers as well as see how drive, drive pressure pulse rise, intake pulses, overall boost vs. Turbine rpm, iat and egt.

The next few months are going to be exciting!

Btw we have a guy in the shop who is going to start playing with a vp-44 2001 with marine 12v pistons, 370's and this head until we release the new cr head.

Weather you know it or not, every forced indution head gets moisture in the air stream, from one of the following, Condensation, Boost psi, nitrous, Water injection,Methanol, ECT.

There is no such things as a "dry" diesel head...unless it's not running.

There is so much that can be said here, and further discussed in better detail...

Weather you know it or not, every forced indution head gets moisture in the air stream, from one of the following, Condensation, Boost psi, nitrous, Water injection,Methanol, ECT.

There is no such things as a "dry" diesel head...unless it's not running.

There is so much that can be said here, and further discussed in better detail...
For purposes of discussion, dry means no fuel in runners.

BTW, what's "ECT"?

Back