Air suspension questions

roachie

Taco Master
Thinking of doing an air bagged 4 link setup on my fords (rear of the crew 04 4x4, complete on the reg cab 2wd 99). Ive gotten the layout of the bags and bars in my head. Im just a bit confused on what size to pick for the trucks.

The gray one will only have them on the rear and be towing up to 14-16k. So I dont think the 10k rated bags would be needed. But I also question if a pair of 2000# bags would be enough to hold the front of a 2wd truck.

http://www.airbagit.com/v/vspfiles/pages/AirBags_PAGE.htm

Suggestions?

Did you happen to meet Ziggy (Cory) at RRE? He did a full air bag set up on his ford. I'll find you the link

I've known Corey for a while. I like his but I need one with a lot less lift and more on ride quality.

Personally my feeling is that a fourlink setup on a working truck is an overkill. What I would do on the rear is remove all but one leaf spring and put a 6" airbag on top of the axle inside the original spring perch OR replace the spring pack with a trailing arm setup similar to semi trucks. On the front switch to an airbag over shock setup. In answer to your original question I'd go with any 6" or 8" bag.

Last edited:
I was thinking 4 link or a larger ladder bar type setup. I want the springs completely gone on the rear.

The 2wd will be easy to fix the front.

The I beams on the front of the Fords make for horrible camber when bagged.

Also i'd suggest looking into someone else for the bags, i've heard horrors stories about them.

Depending on the set up you are going for on each will determine what kind of bag to run.

On the 4x4 for towing i'd go with a behind the axle set up with these.

Air_Spring_Bags17.jpg

On the 2wd you'd be better off with some SlamSpecialties Re8's. But as far as mounting location it depends on what you're going for.

The I beams on the front of the Fords make for horrible camber when bagged.

Also i'd suggest looking into someone else for the bags, i've heard horrors stories about them.

Depending on the set up you are going for on each will determine what kind of bag to run.

On the 4x4 for towing i'd go with a behind the axle set up with these.

Air_Spring_Bags17.jpg

On the 2wd you'd be better off with some SlamSpecialties Re8's. But as far as mounting location it depends on what you're going for.

I'm actually bagging the 2wd on the front to lift it. The 5.4 springs are too weak and my camber is horrid. It being a reg cab the rear is almost solid when running empty so this seems like the best solution.

The 4x4 I use as a tow rig and it will need air helper bags, figured it would be easier to just do a rear bag system like an OTR truck.

Yea i hear ya. On the front of the 2wd just make a perch for them to mount on and run a Slam style bag, this way you won't have to do a triple bellow style and it will still right nice.

Yea on the 4x4, a bag-on-bar behind the axle set up would ride nice and give plenty of support. Then just run a pan hard bar or watts link along with a forward 4 link and you're good.

From what little I have gleaned on the subject over the years, for ride quality, you want about the biggest bag you can fit, with the least amount of air pressure.

There have been a couple successful airbag hauler builds over on Pirate4x4.

One more thing to add: When building an air ride setup, it is best to have an adjustable top bag mount, as you will find that you will have a certain PSI where it will ride the best, and then will need to adjust the mount for proper ride height at that point. If you use air pressure to adjust the ride height you typically end up with too much air and a harsh ride.

One more thing to add: When building an air ride setup, it is best to have an adjustable top bag mount, as you will find that you will have a certain PSI where it will ride the best, and then will need to adjust the mount for proper ride height at that point. If you use air pressure to adjust the ride height you typically end up with too much air and a harsh ride.

nice tidbit - preload vs. ride height

Swalldog & Crabelle come to mind regarding airbag discussions/design/pics

I'm still not sure if I want to do a 4link or a short ladder bar and use the front shackle for forward mount.

0808111735.jpg
[/IMG]

That drawing is if I had to use a longer bar and fab a bracket.

When you do too short of a ladder bar in my experience, they really want to unload bad under braking and backing up.

IMHO I would either do a soft mono leaf, with a traction bar. Or a full 4 link.

Last edited:

Not catching you here.....once you hit the air pressure to lift, there is practically no difference in pressure only volume.

When you do too short of a ladder bar in my experience, they really want to unload bad under braking and backing up.

IMHO I would either do a soft mono leaf, with a traction bar. Or a full 4 link.

Option B is run them up to the rear of the the trans. I do like that better do to the pinion angle.

Not catching you here.....once you hit the air pressure to lift, there is practically no difference in pressure only volume.

In the couple air ride setups I have been in / around, you needed to add pressure to get them to raise up? One was a kelderman setup, and one was an S10 lowrider. In fact the S10 had 2 needles on the gauges, one was stationary so you can set it, and bring it back to that ride height for street and tire wear on the ifs front ends. Iirc full down to full up was 60psi+ difference.

As in full down air out of the bag 0 psi??? OR in a helper spring situation where the air pressure will not be linear to lift?

Have a truck in the shop right now mind you its a semi, and between 10% lift (so I know the bags have it) and 90% (as to not top out) the needle on the gauge might have moved a needle width, and frankly don't even think it was that much.

I only know of two conversions locally and neither were happy with the results......YET wouldn't be without air ride on the semi's....

Back