Air suspension questions

From min air of about 10psi front and 5psi back, (he would never empty the bag's all the way for fear of damage) dumped to ~70psi iirc for the bags close to topped out. His ride height was about 21-23psi fronts, and about 15-17psi rear again iirc. This was the S10, the kelderman setup I didn't pay close enough attention to give an accurate description.

I know by 35psi front they were about 3/4 of the way up, and the ride was very harsh vs the 21-23psi that he daily drove it on. It was a very pleasant ride if you could get over the doucheyness of the truck.

The fronts were a pretty small bag, but were connected to some accumulators that added a fair bit of volume and supposedly softened up the ride a fair bit, I never rode in it prior to them.

I guess one other thing to keep in mind, and probably why the rear of this truck the air pressure didn't make as much of a difference, is that the front was IFS and as you changed the ride height you were also working with the arc of the suspension, so you wouldn't have the same load throughout the travel. Which I never really considered till right now. I always just assumed that there was more air pressure change in the fronts as they were so much smaller bags then what were in the rear. :nail:

With all of that being said, there is always a "sweet spot" for all bag setups, the trick is finding it.

Last edited:
I'm running RE8 bags all the way around on mine. With the large bags it doesn't matter what height i ride at i still get a nice ride. I don't run shocks on the front and i also don't run pressure gauges. With bags that are set up for it airing them down and having zero psi in them will not hurt them at all. I've got over 80k miles driving on bags and never had a problem with them.

When you set up the truck, you set it up for ride height. This way all your geometry will be correct going down the road, then anything positive or neg from there will not cause binding. On the Ford's with I beams it's crutial to get the bag placement correct b/c that will greatly affect not only your ride but also how much lift you get.

Yup for as long as i've had it bagged. With the weight of the front end and the large bags the ride is nice and cushy, only if i hit a good dip does it "boat" for a second then level right out. I've done a few other trucks without shocks too, mostly S-10's.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that the front tires would "bounce" all over, but obviously it seems to work for you.

I would have assumed that the front tires would "bounce" all over, but obviously it seems to work for you.

On a lighter vehicle you get a bit more rebound but with the weight of the engine it keeps it down. I'd like to put shocks in some day just to help in the cornering. I migth do that when i raise my control arm mounts.

doing a full sir ride laid out truck too with the slam bags and hope to tow
cory's truck rides better than a stock 2wd truck and he can air out and hook to a trailer
cory's set up is simple bag over axle and can be copied with out the lift included
what is ur goal bag plus leafs or just bags???

Great link.I'll post a picture of the airride on my old ford tommorow useing Kenworth airbags from the 8 bag setup. working good.I have grossed alittle over 26.000lb towing our old pulling sled.

Dale

PD012.jpg

PD013-1.jpg

PD015.jpg

grossing 24.000lb with this trailer it has the 2wd and tha pull around rig in it.

PD001.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
Back