Big Bad starter

Its not to bad change the drive gear, machine the offset on the nose out to center it. Saw it to shape weld up the offset and where the bolt pattern is, turn the nose to register size
depth drill the bolt pattern and spot face.Nothing to do on the fly wheel.

So you took both units apart, and swapped the output gear.
Then to the housing on the new one, you had to fill some holes by welding, drill and counter-bore new holes, and then machine the inside to get the correct offset?

Sorry, I was confused with that you were saying. If you're cranking way faster, I'm seriously considering doing this though.

The big starter pinion is offset in the register so you have to weld and re cut it so the pinion is centered in the register That puts the pinion to the correct location in the ring gear or backlash. Cutting the face gives you the depth the pinion goes in to the ring gear these are the most important steps. The rest is the mounting because the bolts need to be
in the right place especially the top one.
I will post the speed and video when I get it, cold weather fast crank is what I'm after.

Last edited:
The big starter pinion is offset in the register so you have to weld and re cut it so the pinion is centered in the register That puts the pinion to the correct location in the ring gear or backlash. Cutting the face gives you the depth the pinion goes in to the ring gear these are the most important steps. The rest is the mounting because the bolts need to be
in the right place especially the top one.
I will post the speed and video when I get it, cold weather fast crank is what I'm after.

ahh. That makes sense. You're still confident with the amount of gear overlap it has after sliding it over? Then again, this is a much lower torque application than it was designed for.

:Cheer:

does anybody have another core starter?

I hate to say it, but I drool over all of your projects, and this one has more than a cosmetic function. great job.

did you machine anything off of the mounting surface? between the 2 the bigger starter won't mount as deep, the spur gear won't engage the flywheel as much as the stock starter.

it certainly looks like the one you have. when I made the base, I forgot to do it right. the motor side is all 5.9, the flywheel side is still 8.3. I knew to make the change when I started, but I lost track of the thought at some point. I finally realized it when the mounting bolts didn't stick through far enough. i'll still try and hang it to check out clearances and such.

001_zpsqokegsik.jpg

I ended up making it over. with the step that I copied from the orginal, it would have required welding to fill it up. but it is done and installed and tested. works. interesting project.

Back