2.5 2012

If I knew there was going to be a good amount of pulls and it was going to stay consistent Id but a 2.5 turbo and pull but the way everything changes so often anymore I hate to waste the money.

If you don't allow hanging weights, you're forcing people to build some crazy ass bumper to hide weights under it or buy/build some sort of Ranch Hand bumper and fill it or modify it to house weights. What the hell is street about that? There's nothing street about pulling trucks down 300 ft of dirt with 40k lbs of dead weight behind you.... I guess you missed that. No matter how you look at it, this IS a pulling class. Not allowing hanging weights will force the stupidest bunch of money to be spent on these trucks to compensate for what could have been done a lot cheaper and easier with a weight bar/bracket..

Have you priced tractor weights by chance?:nail:

bottom line is you have to draw the line somewhere, you cant cater to a blue million trucks, you have to be able to make a set of rules where your common guy can have SOME fun....it is a pulling class, yes...but at the same time so are all the classes, plenty of 2.6 chargers get driven daily, your definition of driveable could be totally differnt than mine. In order for 2.5 to work it has to look, and run different than 2.6....stack past the cab, no hanging weight, stock front bumper ( all you ranchhand people put the stuff on you can take it back off if you want to pull that bad ), are people going to hide weight? Yeah you bet so you might as well too ( its kind of part of the small grey area that the stuff goes on in the small class that can even be a little fun) make a good turbo rule, not a 3.0 charger with a bushing, the truck must be driven in, if your scared of breakin put your tow rig on the trailer and pull it in wth your puller, if you break swap em and go home. Thats easy to police, you just sit at the gate and watch (i also understand they can stop somewhere on the way in and swap em and have to drive not very far to do it, but its at least one more small rule they have to get around.) Just make a set of rules and ENFORCE it. thats why the big classes are all jacked around now because nothing got policed for a long time. Making a good set of rules isnt hard, finding someone without special interest ( owns a truck they want to pull with, owns a machine shop, sells parts ect..)that will stay legit and fairly enforce stuff, that is your biggest challange. Stuff keeps going the way it is anyways and it all wont matter it'll just be a run whatya brung and hope you brought enough

No its not easy to swap a bumper back if you don't have another. Driving in is just flat stupid. It's a motorsport event not a car show. There is nothing wrong with hanging weights again it's a pulling class. The majority of what you said is useless and a pain in the a$$ to read with few proper sentences.

Make a good turbo rule enforce it and go. Not to complicated and everyone is trying to make it.

Last edited:
No its not easy to swap a bumper back if you don't have another. Driving in is just flat stupid. It's a motorsport event not a car show. There is nothing wrong with hanging weights again it's a pulling class. The majority of what you said is useless and a pain in the a$$ to read with few proper sentences.

Make a good turbo rule enforce it and go. Not to complicated and everyone is trying to make it.

I didnt realize I would be getting a grammer lesson by such a scholar like yourself. So here I'll redo it all so that way maybe, just maybe it'll be clear enough.

It’s a 2.5 class. At many pulls this is the entry class if you are lucky enough to not get thrown in with the 2.6 crowd. I pulled 2.5 in years past and out grew it. I have watched many 2.5 classes this year and never felt like “Yea if they were allowed to hang weight it would be so much of a better class” To be able to have a class that catches on popularity enough to have a common rule set for a large area more than 25% of the pullers in the class have to like it. Ultimately it comes down to the fans and watching 3 classes (just to be clear that includes 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0) that all look the same is dumb. It’s a class designed for, what’s supposed to, run on the street every day. If you’re pulling in the class you having your tow rig on the trailer shouldn’t scare you, if it’s that big of a pain wait until your 5 miles from the pull find a gas station and swap the trucks out again. It’s a deterrent to keep some trucks out that shouldn’t be there anyway. If you can’t make your bumper right to pull then I honestly don’t know the answer to that. I know, make a set of rules that follow your truck down to the “T” and run that class. It’s a street class that you should be able to go get groceries in afterwards right? If not, why aren’t you running 2.6? Do you ever go get groceries with a weight rack holding 600 lbs? Do you haul a hay wagon with one? What about taking a grain load into the elevator? Blocks and ladder bars prevent breakage which helps your low budget guys out. If you don’t draw some hard lines somewhere, and make it easy for the guys who are now not competing in the 2.6 class like they were able to last year they will drop down to 2.5 and run your common guy right out of the sport. The 2.5 class is for the promotion of diesel pulling. Promotion means growth. What kind of growth will you have with basically a 2.6 truck who didn’t like the 2.6 world anymore and came down to clean house? Good luck with that. I will say maybe I have just really lost sight of the direction the entry class should go being a 2.6 guy now, but I do remember what it was like pulling in that class and how I felt then.

Sorry wouldn't trying to be mean but it was hard to read and just got to me. Sorry bout that. If a 2.6 truck wants to drop down they can. But how many 2.6 trucks have a2a coolers. You can only throw so much fuel at the limited size charger. Driving in is a lot of hassle though and could get dangerous with blocked suspension. Hanging weights can reduce alot of breakage as well with bouncing.

No your fine, I should have just made it good to read anyways, i do see your points and I agree, the hard part is before this year guys were able to run a "OMG Hogan" and it was only i think 40 hp less than a good water to air. Guys around here, wayyy back in the day, drove to the pull had the jack and blocks in the bed and would install at the pull. Which that is a huge pain. I really do get your point, its just as time moves along its getting harder for your fan to think "hey that truck runs really good and mine at least looks like it" , or " I used to have a truck like that" so on and so on, I'm for whatever sets of rules gets the workstock/2.5 class under control, and gets more people into pulling. Here in indiana its no thing to see a huge charger w a 2.5 bushing and then wipe the class clean. Just isnt right. I don't know about everyone else but it just doesnt seem like the 3.0 class is catching on like everyone hoped and the longer thats the case im afraid the $hit will run down hill and 2.5 class will be the one to pay due to trucks not running what they belong.

i think ima build me a pedal pulling truck. whats the turbo limit on that class? Maybe il cheat and show up with a power wheels and run in the pedal class....

i agree great way to put it :clap:

I didnt realize I would be getting a grammer lesson by such a scholar like yourself. So here I'll redo it all so that way maybe, just maybe it'll be clear enough.

It’s a 2.5 class. At many pulls this is the entry class if you are lucky enough to not get thrown in with the 2.6 crowd. I pulled 2.5 in years past and out grew it. I have watched many 2.5 classes this year and never felt like “Yea if they were allowed to hang weight it would be so much of a better class” To be able to have a class that catches on popularity enough to have a common rule set for a large area more than 25% of the pullers in the class have to like it. Ultimately it comes down to the fans and watching 3 classes (just to be clear that includes 2.5, 2.6 and 3.0) that all look the same is dumb. It’s a class designed for, what’s supposed to, run on the street every day. If you’re pulling in the class you having your tow rig on the trailer shouldn’t scare you, if it’s that big of a pain wait until your 5 miles from the pull find a gas station and swap the trucks out again. It’s a deterrent to keep some trucks out that shouldn’t be there anyway. If you can’t make your bumper right to pull then I honestly don’t know the answer to that. I know, make a set of rules that follow your truck down to the “T” and run that class. It’s a street class that you should be able to go get groceries in afterwards right? If not, why aren’t you running 2.6? Do you ever go get groceries with a weight rack holding 600 lbs? Do you haul a hay wagon with one? What about taking a grain load into the elevator? Blocks and ladder bars prevent breakage which helps your low budget guys out. If you don’t draw some hard lines somewhere, and make it easy for the guys who are now not competing in the 2.6 class like they were able to last year they will drop down to 2.5 and run your common guy right out of the sport. The 2.5 class is for the promotion of diesel pulling. Promotion means growth. What kind of growth will you have with basically a 2.6 truck who didn’t like the 2.6 world anymore and came down to clean house? Good luck with that. I will say maybe I have just really lost sight of the direction the entry class should go being a 2.6 guy now, but I do remember what it was like pulling in that class and how I felt then.

Last edited:
No your fine, I should have just made it good to read anyways, i do see your points and I agree, the hard part is before this year guys were able to run a "OMG Hogan" and it was only i think 40 hp less than a good water to air. Guys around here, wayyy back in the day, drove to the pull had the jack and blocks in the bed and would install at the pull. Which that is a huge pain. I really do get your point, its just as time moves along its getting harder for your fan to think "hey that truck runs really good and mine at least looks like it" , or " I used to have a truck like that" so on and so on, I'm for whatever sets of rules gets the workstock/2.5 class under control, and gets more people into pulling. Here in indiana its no thing to see a huge charger w a 2.5 bushing and then wipe the class clean. Just isnt right. I don't know about everyone else but it just doesnt seem like the 3.0 class is catching on like everyone hoped and the longer thats the case im afraid the $hit will run down hill and 2.5 class will be the one to pay due to trucks not running what they belong.[/QUO

Where at in Indiana is this going on??? Not saying it didn’t happen just that I went to a lot of the 2.5 hooks this year and didn’t see that going on

as much as i would want to hang weight if i ran this class, ovrdrvboy is right. You have to set the classes apart visually for spectators and FHW is def not doing that.

making the rules up is one thing; getting them enforced is another. Tech's are too passive at most of the pulls i have been to

as much as i would want to hang weight if i ran this class, ovrdrvboy is right. You have to set the classes apart visually for spectators and FHW is def not doing that.

making the rules up is one thing; getting them enforced is another. Tech's are too passive at most of the pulls i have been to

Techs! We don't need no stinking techs! LOL

Seeing a difference in how they run should be a big enough difference to set the classes apart.

Seeing a difference in how they run should be a big enough difference to set the classes apart.

Not that I have a dog in the fight, but as a spectator I have been to several pulls where you cant tell the difference in the classes. What I mean is it's all in the sled setting. The sled operator may have the 2.5 trucks going 320ft and the 2.6 or 3.0 getting shut down at 280ft. In that case the average person who doesn't know the difference in the classes may think the 2.5 trucks are the hot trucks.

Not that I have a dog in the fight, but as a spectator I have been to several pulls where you cant tell the difference in the classes. What I mean is it's all in the sled setting. The sled operator may have the 2.5 trucks going 320ft and the 2.6 or 3.0 getting shut down at 280ft. In that case the average person who doesn't know the difference in the classes may think the 2.5 trucks are the hot trucks.

Uh, not if they have two brain cells to rub together & have any concept as to wth is going on. Sheesh. If they can't tell the difference in 3.0 vs WS just because the WS pulled a farther distance, you definitely don't want to make rules accommodate the intellect of that kind of person. :lol:

Joking aside, I do understand what you're saying. It surprises me sometimes when I see folks report how far they pulled as if that were some kind of clue as to how good they did. It might have been useful information if it were still the standard to only have 300' tracks with anything more resulting in a pulloff & then he who goes farthest in pulloff, wins. That doesn't seem to be the norm anymore though. Everything seems to be floating finish. So a pull of 303.59 ft don't mean squat if the winner goes 335.69. LOL :D

Last edited:
Have you priced tractor weights by chance?:nail:
Have you priced aftermarket bumpers and then figured in the cost to mount them with a way to hide extra weight?

Pretty much right on, especially about the driving in rule. Just because it can be driven, doesn't mean it should be driven in. I know not counting SDX, I've traveled nearly 4 hours one way to go pull. If you want trucks drove in, have a county only class. If this class was to take off, especially in these parts, I can't see them getting rid of work stock which is what people keep calling this class. Work stock down here is a stock charger class and very competitive. As far as that goes, one organization allows hanging weights even in this class, and one does not. Truthfully, I can understand the no hanging weights in an entry level class such as work stock/stock charger class. The 2.5" class is not an entry level class. That is what work stock is for. It's simply a class that is between the 550 hp work stock class and the 1000+ hp 2.6" class. Other than calling it the 2.6" class, there is nothing 2.6" about it. It is the old 2.8" class and if it were still called that, nobody would care that 2.5" and 2.6" sounded so close together. There will be an obvious difference in the two classes to anyone, as SmokeShow said, that has two brain cells to rub together. The whole thinking people have that "I pulled 304 ft last week and 287 this week, so either something isn't right or I just didn't do as good," is beyond retarded for thinking that any two tracks, sleds, nights, or even time of day are the same in the game of pulling. To make rules that make this mindset understand that it's okay for the smaller classes to have farther distances than the big classes will be nearly impossible because quite frankly you can't fix stupid.
The power levels will speak for themselves as now there's nearly 500 hp difference in the work stock and 2.6" classes. The 2.5" class should split that difference nearly perfect.

Last edited:
Have you priced aftermarket bumpers and then figured in the cost to mount them with a way to hide extra weight?.

You are not listening to what i am saying... There is no rule that says you HAVE to put a aftermarket bumper on your truck nor is there one that says you HAVE to hide weight..

You are not listening to what i am saying... There is no rule that says you HAVE to put a aftermarket bumper on your truck nor is there one that says you HAVE to hide weight..

So if you allow hanging weight, you still dont have to have it. Not arguing, just saying if someone cant afford it they dont have to run it, but its available to those who want to. And regardless, you are going to need weight anyways even if its just in the bed. So you are either still going to have to buy weight, or load your 4 wheeler in the bed and go pulling.

I wouldnt care to not have hanging weight, but i have pulled my regular cab truck in work stock a couple times, and the front end dang near comes off the ground. For that reason, I think its a good idea to allow hanging weight. otherwise the 4dr trucks have an advantage IMO. With hanging weight, you could fairly well make up for it on a regular cab truck.

Last edited:
Back