10 second 1st gen

Honestly one of the biggest regrets with my 89 is that I didn't go further with the 12mm setup. It'll be cool to see what a maxed out 12 with a bunch of timing and nitrous will do in a light truck, 10s or not.
probably run in the 12's.....:poke::poke::evil:poke::poke:

At some point ya just got to do the best with what you have, or else we'd all have 9 second daily driver sled pulling common rails.

Honestly one of the biggest regrets with my 89 is that I didn't go further with the 12mm setup. It'll be cool to see what a maxed out 12 with a bunch of timing and nitrous will do in a light truck, 10s or not.

Or not?

10s are EASY!

Well, I guess I'm in, got the 14mm truck started today, so it'll be David vs Goliath to the 10s, with questionable times and reliability for both ;D

Are you planning to try without a lockup trans as well?
I might, but that’ll be just to get the nitrous and everything else down before I figure out what gear to hit lockup in. Hopefully it’ll be First...? I tried it on the street with a spool jet and in spun but I figure the track will be different.

To the OP come spring time let me know when your headed up to Cecil's drag strip I'd like to see the VE/Meth powered truck make a few passes.

I have to laugh at this thread. Maybe they could feed the VE with a HP pump from a common rail motor. That along with water/meth, nitrous, and propane injection is still ok, but heaven forbid an actual injection(P7100) pump on fuel only(that's cheating).LOLLOLLOL

Lol.
I went 7.20s 1/8th with a VE pump still 12mm, and nitrous. 1.41 60'. But it was in a 3900 lbs 1/2 ton, my Black C10 with no ballast. Never really mentioned it because i was ashamed at how slow it was, lol. 7.2s is nothing to brag about with over 1k lbs or torque even with a non lock up. Only reason i put the turd in there was to see what id run in a real chassis that worked. Same engine only went 7.90s in Bruces 1/2 ton, he had a dodge non lock up mine was my 400. Yes mine had a brake and his 518 did not but i could still 60' low 1.30s on the foot brake.
I say the VE pump belongs in backhoes, and slow boats and such. Lol
Cant beat the ol p pump, even a 12mm, imo

Lol.
I went 7.20s 1/8th with a VE pump still 12mm, and nitrous. 1.41 60'. But it was in a 3900 lbs 1/2 ton, my Black C10 with no ballast. Never really mentioned it because i was ashamed at how slow it was, lol. 7.2s is nothing to brag about with over 1k lbs or torque even with a non lock up. Only reason i put the turd in there was to see what id run in a real chassis that worked. Same engine only went 7.90s in Bruces 1/2 ton, he had a dodge non lock up mine was my 400. Yes mine had a brake and his 518 did not but i could still 60' low 1.30s on the foot brake.
I say the VE pump belongs in backhoes, and slow boats and such. Lol
Cant beat the ol p pump, even a 12mm, imo

Only an actual racecar guy would think low 7s is slow. ;) Thanks for chiming in

I was only happy with the way both the Black truck and Boneshaker 60' because compaired to everyone else 'at the time' it was lots quicker. But no where near what I thought it should be fir such massive torque. I expected to get my half ton in the 1.teens, 1.32 was my best did it dozens of times, everytime i tried to hit the tires any harder i would break another Pro Gear.

Boneshaker should have been sub 1 second, best i got was 1.09 4 or 5 times, ran a 1.10 to 1.12 most passes with a 5.08 to 5.15 1/8th at around 140

Only an actual racecar guy would think low 7s is slow. ;) Thanks for chiming in

7.00 is slow, lol. I index raced my 4.70 blown Datsun in the 5.00 and 5.80 classes for a few seasons. Weird but the 7.00 class paid more to win so i searched hard for a 7.00 tune up couldnt get close. Even slowing the blower WAY down, unhooking the secondarys on the 1250 Alk carb, and pulling 10 degree it still went 6.50s. I pulled the blower off and put a e.t. genie under the carb set it for half way and still went 5.80s, with the e.t genie all the way closed it would run a 6.98 to 7.05 but the engine hated it and even on Alk couldnt keep it cool, not enough airflow

Last edited:
Y'all are funny. :D

I was kidding, for a daily driver back in the day the VE pump was Awesome, i had a new 1991 3/4 ton dodge 5 speed and it was a great truck. Stock it got like 26mpg. Pulled hard just slow. With a 62/65/16, ground pin, 4200 gov springs, big 4 hole dirty ass injectors, it was a fun daily back then for sure. Mpg went down to around 18 or 19. A better 5 hole inj would have been great but wasnt many options in 91, bought my stuff back then from Harry Piers

Last edited:
Back