Air suspension questions

I had these made at a custom spring shop in St.louis they are widder and heaver than stock.

Dale

I put one single truck bag in the center on a bracket. Cut the bottom two leafs off behind the rearend. It rides like a half ton. It's got a self leveling valve on it and never changes ride height. I've had two bobcats on the trailer with one of them up against the front with the bucket on top of the gooseneck. Just guessing but around 8000 lbs. of tongue weight.

You might want to check out some of my threads on powerstrokenation.

Air ride front.
Air ride front suspension project - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

4 link air ride back.
Problem with air ride suspension... sort of... long - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

R4 Tech clone.
DIY R4 Tech rear suspension. - PowerStrokeNation : Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

You'll have to sign in to see the pictures.

Here is a teaser.

IMG_7549.jpg

Last edited:
yes there are perches they where gusseted more after those photos were taken.It is hard to work on something when it was the only daily driver and very little time to work on it at that time.

Dale

Last edited:
For the original question- 2000lb bags are no good for a truck front or rear. As someone else suggested go with a set of RE8 for the front minimum (this is a diesel i assume?)

It sounds like you plan this for towing capacity not low ride height- if this is the case you would probably be best to go with a set of helper bags on stock rear springs for simplicity sake. If you want to go a different route make sure its heavy duty and dont take shortcuts, its not worth the chance.
Maybe i am just not understanding what your goal is- i might have been lost somewhere in this discussion.

Couple pics of my setup for potential ideas.

DSCN0651.jpg

DSCN1555.jpg

So Dale, what do you think about not doing the springs at all and just using some tubular stock for that trailing arm?

AND, do you get acceleration sag when you take off with that setup?

Oh, Me2, I've seen your setup over there at PSN... VERY VERY nice... I though am too d@mn lazy and cheap to build something that nice! LOL

I have a traction bar on the spring.You can see it in the picture.The spring setup will give you a smoother ride over the straight tubeing.I did that before the sping and I felt more small bumps and had more noise from the road.So I recomend the spring set up like the road tractors.Mine is just down sized.
PD015.jpg

Dale

I have cleaned up this setup alot after this picture was taken and tested.It has worked great not any problem at all.Have grossed over 26.000 and had 2 pallets of cement on the truck bed at one time 6480lb and the truck wt. is 7200lb =13.680 handled is great no sway and my bag air pressure only went to 30lb empty they have 11lb in them.I have a selfleveling valve on bothe sides.
PD001.jpg

Dale

Last edited:
I think they were something like 200.00I will look for the receipt tomorrow.it doesn't squat at all.But I don't drive it like I.m drag racing either.

Dale

Last edited:
I think they were something like 200.00I will look for the receipt tomorrow.it doesn't squat at all.But I don't drive it like I.m drag racing either.

Dale

That could be a difference between you and I..... I always drive like that! LMAO

That's a nice setup.... I'm thinking that's how I'd go.... Although, I'm still thinking of going with a solid trailing arm with a poly bushing up front..... A good long arm would work great I think...

Yes if your not worried about the soft ride it will work just fine.
My old bones like the ride as smooth as possible.And still do the work that it need to do and more.
Dale

I have a traction bar on the spring.You can see it in the picture.The spring setup will give you a smoother ride over the straight tubeing.I did that before the sping and I felt more small bumps and had more noise from the road.So I recomend the spring set up like the road tractors.Mine is just down sized.
PD015.jpg

Dale

:doh:i dont really see a 2x4 do I?

Back