Which pump to go with...

My brother did 521 on a set of Bosch marine 300's (40-50 horse) untouched and they are like 60$ bucks apiece. I would say $360 fits the budget.

You might as well stay with a set of stock 215s.
Marine 300s are dirty and the wrong spray pattern. They are 4x.012"
Stock 215s are the correct pattern will take you to 500+ and they are 5x.010".

You might as well stay with a set of stock 215s.
Marine 300s are dirty and the wrong spray pattern. They are 4x.012"
Stock 215s are the correct pattern will take you to 500+ and they are 5x.010".

They are 5 hole injectors so maybe they are not marine, but they were brand new bosch injectors untouched with the correct pattern and they were not a truck application.

They are 5 hole injectors so maybe they are not marine, but they were brand new bosch injectors untouched with the correct pattern and they were not a truck application.

160-175hp - 5x0.009" 260BAR
180hp - 5x0.0095" 260BAR
215hp - 5x0.010" 260BAR
300 Marine - 4x0.012" 262BAR
370 Marine - 5x0.012" 262BAR

The automotive spray pattern is 145° and the marine spray pattern is 155°, non-intercooled engines with 9mm nozzles have the 155° bowl piston, all intercooled engines with the 7mm nozzles have the 145° bowl piston.
This all comes from Smokem (Weston) so I am sure he has done his homework.

How do you know what the spray pattern was? Got a nozzle number?

Youve posted many times before that you and your Brothers trucks run Marine 300s for $365.

ok.... so if my 215 injectors are good for 500+ and the 215 pump can easily do 500hp+ @ 13mm rack...

Why arent all of the 96-98 manual trucks running around with 500hp+ on stock pumps and injectors? (a bit of tweaking sure gives it some balls, but it isnt no 500hp)

Sounds like a bunch of 'smoke' to me... no pun intended...

im looking for proof... real world experience on which pump would do the trick.. not just some internet BS or theories...

The ol' internet dyno usally isnt anything close to the real world! :doh:

So are we saying that a 215 pump with 13mm rack travel will move more fuel than any other pump with 21mm? thats what it sounds like to me...

Then why ask on a internet forum???:bang I made 445hp with everything in my sig, but had 5x.012 injectors.. 215 pump 100 plate, and the modded afc needs to a little more tuning...

Then why ask on a internet forum???:bang I made 445hp with everything in my sig, but had 5x.012 injectors.. 215 pump 100 plate, and the modded afc needs to a little more tuning...

Because their are some people with EXPERIENCE out there that have a setup thats been on a DYNO and can prove what works and what doesnt.... (Not just a bit of info out of some bosh manuals and word of mouth on someones mystical flowbench...). Sorry but their is just too much BS and smoke being blown around and i would like to see some proper answers, not just 'oh yeah, itll do it'

Im looking for answers such as yourself, with bigger injectors and more than 13mm rack you fall just short of 500hp. Thats what im looking for, so i know with some 5x12s i can actually achieve what im after

I really do get a kick out of these forums... Ask a simple question, get a bunch of runaround and conflicting answers, then they all get pissed off when you question it. cant get a straight f'n answer out of anyone these days... :bang

Sorry, no offense but i dont know any of you from the reject down the road with the flowerpoke. I just like to see some hard facts. Pumps arent fkin cheap and ill be damned if im going to be buying 2 more for this truck!

Last edited:
Because their are some people with EXPERIENCE out there that have a setup thats been on a DYNO and can prove what works and what doesnt.... (Not just a bit of info out of some bosh manuals and word of mouth on someones mystical flowbench...)

Such as yourself, with bigger injectors and more than 13mm rack you fall just short of 500hp.

I really do get a kick out of these forums... Ask a simple question, get a bunch of runaround and conflicting answers, then they all get pissed off when you question it. cant get a straight f'n answer out of anyone these days... :bang

With my few short years of modding 12v's I have found that it is a art to get these things tuned perfectly. . I have seen many on here with less mods than me and putting down more power, of course these guys have many years tuning and getting them set up perfectly... My setup is ultimately leaning to a 550-600hp tow rig.. I don't think that anyone here is pissed off :what:

Since you have already decided you do not like the 215 pump, then don't buy one... There is a 911 180 pump I believe in the classifieds on here..

Compared to any other diesel sites on the web this is by far the best one, and its FREE... Gotta love it.. There is a lot of real world info here.. Good luck..

i dont overly hate the 215 pump, but from what i have read (on this forum and many others) is that the 215 is a bit less desirable of them all. now again, that may just be forum BS, not the real world...

Sorry, but the classifieds arent going to do me much good, due to my geographical location its not feasable for me to purchase cross border. which leads to my biggest issue, im almost half the continent away from a reputable pump shop and about 2000km away from a dyno. So sending out a pump or purchasing another is costly as all hell (shipping up here is pure BS) and dyno tuning is pretty much out of the question unless im heading down south for another reason.

I would love to be able to pick up a pump from the classifieds for a couple hundred bucks, but that price will easily tripple (at least) by the time i get it

My options are very limited and everything is costly so i want to get this right in one shot!

215 pump here, never off the truck
timed @ 21deg
Stock $400 370s it made 560hp
5x13s exh honed 50% with lift = 625hp

There was some wasgate tuning and HTT stage III wheel and cover put on the HX35 in between those runs so the 560 to 625 jump was not just injector change.
With the right amount of air and minor pump mods 500 can be had with stock 215's.

I'm glad you guys don't like 215's, that way people like me can get them cheaper, I have two and will not sell either.

If someone can't break 500 hp with a 215 and a decent injector using a single turbo you missed something.

Jim

Wow, something is severely F'ked with my old pump... After breaking one barrel in half causing all this BS, i just went out to the shed and guess what i saw...

The #3 barrel which was perfectly fine and sitting on the bench for the last few days has broken just like the #5 barrel did! I cant believe that, the F'n thing split in half while sitting on the bench!

215 pump re-man 887 pump from Diesel Care and Performance (now 022s) 191 dv's 5x16 no lift likely lower than optimal pop pressure at this point and the firs time to the track with the s468 resulted in 12.07 at 110.6 ='ing about 585-590 rwhp according to calculators. They can make power with the right air! Hope you get your issues figured out.

215 pump, silver 64 ddp4's with a home made 0 plate slid about 1/3 forward. made 537 hp at 4000 feet elevation.

replace 64 with aurora 5000 and slid the plate almost full forward made 632 in phoenix this past spring.

Attachments

• dynorun 011-2.JPG
    dynorun 011-2.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 10
  • phoenix 025-2.JPG
    phoenix 025-2.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 12
215 pump, silver 64 ddp4's with a home made 0 plate slid about 1/3 forward. made 537 hp at 4000 feet elevation.

replace 64 with aurora 5000 and slid the plate almost full forward made 632 in phoenix this past spring.

That is sweet.. I hope to be close behind that hp with my new sticks when I slip a s400 under my current turbo...

Nice!

I am at sea level so with any luck it will be a bit easier for me to find these numbers. just got to locate a pump first...

having a hard time trying to locate a resonably priced pump around here...

Looks like my dad has found a pump where he lives, its an 838 pump (160 or 175hp). So far its the only pump he can find in alberta that doesnt have a million miles on it and they guarantee that it will at least work when its put on the truck.

Alot of the other ones he have found were expensive as all hell and they dont even know if they are good and will not warranty it!

Any input on having an 838 pump? What kind of power could i expect out of it? maybe using my 181dvs?

Or should i keep looking....

It kind of sketches me out seeing those threads pop up once in a while with people sticking the plungers in the 94/95 pumps...

Back