Advantages of p-pumping

smoken02

If a vp truck is able to make between 600 and 700hp on diesel only, is there another advantage to p-pumping other than needing it to make more than 700hp?

Reliability is a very good reason. i bought my truck from a guy that was tired of going through VP's and threw a p-pump on a stock truck. Im no were close to 700 but i can get it there a lot easier than a VP. Although i can throw a ton of flashy lights and hidden box's on it and get there, Id rather have the p-pump. But the best part is that i can tinker with the pump and set it up for anything i want. i dont have to worry about electronics or anything like that which makes me feel a lot better about my truck.

I went through 4 VPs in 40,000mi. And it had a blue pump and a gauge, 9psi at the lowest. It still killed them.

A big advantage is reliability, you can tune it your way.

Most of what ive read is that the VP will only fuel to 3800, a p-pump will fuel as many rpm as you dare.

With a p-pump conversion do you half to have a cable in the truck to shut the truck off?

No, you can wire up a solenoid like a 12V with 2 relays that works off the key. I chose to put a cable in mine, just 3 less parts to break (solenoids were $195 last I seen). Makes a hell of an anti theft.

No, you can wire up a solenoid like a 12V with 2 relays that works off the key. I chose to put a cable in mine, just 3 less parts to break (solenoids were $195 last I seen). Makes a hell of an anti theft.

Ditto ,

Well I think if im gonna p-pump I might as well make more hp than the vp will make on diesel only. So 800+ hp would be the goal. So where to go from here to start putting it together would be the next question.

Well I think if im gonna p-pump I might as well make more hp than the vp will make on diesel only. So 800+ hp would be the goal. So where to go from here to start putting it together would be the next question.

Get money, spend money

I went through 4 VPs in 40,000mi. And it had a blue pump and a gauge, 9psi at the lowest. It still killed them.

A big advantage is reliability, you can tune it your way.

Most of what ive read is that the VP will only fuel to 3800, a p-pump will fuel as many rpm as you dare.

Not totally true
If he is going to street drive it and use a stock p pump then they will only fuel to maybe 4200 rpm but free rev to at least 5300

800 hp on the street? I would say cam,twin turbos, injectors, Pump work, Headgasket,studs but that is just a guess

IKE

Getting the money has been my problem.;)

Buying a complete 12V engine is the simplest route.

Or start looking for a pump, cover, gear, p pump to block bracket, and lines.

even though Im not a huge fan of Sch@!ds (long story) it is easier IMO to get the kit from them and save a ton of time and hand scratching. Might be a bit on the expensive side, but you can sell off you VP stuff and make a ton of that money back.

and yes RPM's is the biggest advantige. heck throw in a set of springs and your fueling hard to 4800!

A ppumped 24v will make the 600hp to 700hp more reliable than using a VP44. My guess.

I disagree completely with this...
I know I am going to get killed here so I will don my flame suit now...

While I would agree that realibility would be most owners reasoning for the swap I disagree on any claim to more hp gained.see what most do not consider is the severe disadvantage us P-Pump owers are at when it comes to tuning compared to a VP equipped truck.The VP,while maybe its one of the most finicky brutes around,is still one of the easiest to tune to accomadate the conditions on which your going to compete(dyno days,drags or pulls).Withs a simple click here and a push there you have the added advantage of being able to have the power come on where you want and how you want.

The P-Pump trucks do not have that,once they are set you are done and simple weather changes while your in line can kill your attempt for a win.I have seen many p-Pump trucks run on dyno's and they constantly get their azzez handed to them by the VP44's due to their ability to adjust the timing to suit their needs.Now I am not saying the p-Pump guys can not make it happen I am saying the VP guys do have the advantage and always will.

While I would agree that realibility would be most owners reasoning for the swap I disagree on any claim to more hp gained.see what most do not consider is the severe disadvantage us P-Pump owers are at when it comes to tuning compared to a VP equipped truck.The VP,while maybe its one of the most finicky brutes around,is still one of the easiest to tune to accomadate the conditions on which your going to compete(dyno days,drags or pulls).Withs a simple click here and a push there you have the added advantage of being able to have the power come on where you want and how you want.

The P-Pump trucks do not have that,once they are set you are done and simple weather changes while your in line can kill your attempt for a win.I have seen many p-Pump trucks run on dyno's and they constantly get their azzez handed to them by the VP44's due to their ability to adjust the timing to suit their needs.Now I am not saying the p-Pump guys can not make it happen I am saying the VP guys do have the advantage and always will.

Point well taken. I was considering the monster pump before this came about.

I was thinking of calling scheids and buying the conversion kit.
That could be done also, or watch the classifieds.

True, but 800hp vp on fuel is a hard thing to do. Even then I doubt the pump would last very long. Mine has it issues with the weather and Im not near 800.

What kind of pump mods are needed to supply enough fuel for 800hp?

I want to know also....

Back