01 dodge paint problems

cm cows

Here by the owl
has anyone had any trouble with the clear coat flaking off? i washed mine the other day and i dont ever get the wand to close and when i got home i noticed that the clear coat had flacked on the passenger side of the hood right where it starts to roll down and is starting to bubble right below that on the fender. anyone have problems, it is an aftermarket hood but the guy that had it put on had it painted by a guy that has painted of years, tbut the factory paint is doing it to? so i dont know what is goin on

If it's doing the flaking on the factory paint that is close to the hood, it might not be factory paint but where they blended to make panels match. Call the guy who did the paint work, ask him how well he stands behind his work.

this hood was put on back in 01 i think or close to it, and i will see about checkin with the dude, i didnt ever think about that, thaks Billy

If it was the typical Dodge peeler odds are a very good both the hood and the roof would be peeling at this point and possibly the tops of the fenders.

TooMuchBoost said:
If it was the typical Dodge peeler odds are a very good both the hood and the roof would be peeling at this point and possibly the tops of the fenders.

That's a perfect description of what happened to my truck. I have the clear coat coming off the hood and roof and the fenders are starting to come off now. This is on a 02

sleepin-sport said:
That's a perfect description of what happened to my truck. I have the clear coat coming off the hood and roof and the fenders are starting to come off now. This is on a 02

Assuming it's the oem paint its the result of a bad/defective coating which probably resulted in millions of peeling factory paint jobs over the years. Basically the UV light (UV light travels in a straight line which is why top not side surfaces are effected) over time is re-flowing solvents which is causing the defective coating to let go of what was applied over it (base/clear) especially when given a means like a stone chip.

FWIW- If one wanted to repaint a factory peeler assuming you don't strip it down to the bare metal you need to remove the layers of coatings until you get down to the grey sealer whether you DA sand it or use Peeler. Once you hit the sealer it needs to be sanded well for adhesion then I'd start by applying epoxy primer over it. I've painted a lot of peelers over the years and always removed the bad paint with a case or two of Peeler.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=12819

Back