01 Excursion Fummins Trans choices

clarkoh

I am getting ready to swap out 300+ k 7.3 for 2004-1/2 CR. I am debating using a Dodge 48RE in it. Has anyone done this? Ultimately, I would like use a 5R110, but the expense of adapter, flex plate, core trans, rebuild and trans controller vs. 48RE (already have with flexplate and adapter) plus controller (if needed) and drive shift mods would be much cheaper. Could then afford some trans upgrades.

The engine is 325 hp with 100k. Engine control module (stick shift) is having Vin code deleted, as we speak. Excursion is 2wd and in great shape for 330,000 miles.

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

I would either do a 48 or 4r100. I wouldn't even consider the 5r and that's from personal experience with my previous truck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd go with the dodge trans having the drive shaft shortened and yoke changed is lots less hassle.

Last edited:
I would advise against the 5r not worth the hassle. I've give up on mine trying to get it to shift proper behind a 12 valve. When it quits I'm going 47re.

Controlling the 5R behind a Cummins is tricky. A few seem to have gotten it to work; most don't. Mine worked for a few thousand miles. I replaced it with a ZF6 manual. I'm happy with it, but a 48 would be a good way to go as well.

I used a 48re with a ford transfer case. I swapped out the input shaft on the transfer case to a dodge. Works perfect.

didn't shorten anything

if your not planning for power, id run the 5R. I currently have one running in a 08 F550fummins service truck custom tuned with 20K+ miles on the package and its extremely nice to say the least. However, 4R's are way easier to tune than 5R's..

this service truck had serious turning pains to say the least. It was 25+ hours of tuning, driving it myself with the laptop and afterword's it would push out the input seal every other month draining the transmission. all the complaints have been resolved but the time it took vs the single afternoon with a 4R, pick your poison.

Last edited:
Hard to beat the simplicity of a hand shaker :D Plus the 3rd pedal bolts right in.

A 5r would be cool, but I don't think I'd go through the effort if it wasn't already in there. Personally, I think a 4r would be your best bet.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

My wallet and I decided to use a 48RE. The money saved will be put into a new converter, input shaft and valvebody. Has anyone done a Dodge trans. in a Fummins? Thanks for the replies.

I have an A518 trans in the F550 I'm building going to have to shorten shaft and change the yoke.

Last edited:
My wallet and I decided to use a 48RE. The money saved will be put into a new converter, input shaft and valvebody. Has anyone done a Dodge trans. in a Fummins? Thanks for the replies.

I run a 47/48RE in my Fummins. I used it to design/test/daily drive the Anteater standalone transmission controller.

I put a 05 CR in my f250 with the 48re and just swapped over the transfer cases and just put a B&M shifter on the floor.

I run a 47/48RE in my Fummins. I used it to design/test/daily drive the Anteater standalone transmission controller.
I found the website. I am in love. I need the Anteater. Thanks for the reply. And take it that the 6 speed manual ECM will work fine.

Last edited:
I'm using a 47re in my '00 Excursion 12v. Plan to use the Anteater as well

I rode in a CR/5R Ford, and it drove just like a stock truck. But, the installer went way over and beyond normal installation and programming methods to make it work that well.

All that being said, when I get around to this I will probably end up with a RH and a anteater.

Back