'01 Head Gasket

Bobus

Powerstroked
The Company My brother works for has a '01 2500 CC that blew the passenger side head gasket. How hard is this to change out? If the pass side is shot should the driver side be a concern? Is there anything else i should look at to cause this, or could be bad since this has happened? I just would like to know what im lookin at for difficulty and time to do this before i say yes or no to the project.. Thanks

Its a job, figure on it taking a weekend if you've never worked on a dmax before. Its not really hard, just tedious because of all the stuff on top that you have to take off.

Early build 2001 trucks did have a few issues with head gaskets, GM released an updated gasket design though that fixed the problem. How many miles are on the truck?

ben

13x,xxx miles, Dont remember exactly.. And not sure of the Build Date, Is tehre a way of telling from the VIN?

Most of the Duramax web forums have a VIN check forum. It will give you a TON of info to include the in-service date.
FYI, if the head gasket has been leaking for a while there could be internal damage (rust/pitting).

I just got through doing head gaskets on my first and can tell you its a pain. Not really hard just an over abundance of stuff to take off. The truck I worked on actually had an injector sleeve leaking. We pulled the heads for more of a precautionary measure. It will take you more than a weekend if this is the first one you have ever done. Make sure to have the heads checked for flatness. We had to have both heads machined .005. We left the turbo on the engine. The hardest thing is getting the up pipes unbolted from the manifolds. They are frigging tight.

Does the Dmax have reuseable HEad bolts? Or will I need to get new ones? I plan i doing driver and passenger side just as a precaustion even though its only a pass deal right now..

Yes yes its taken me a long time too get to this project.. They were talkin of just puttin a new engine in, but icame back to just fixing the current one

Back