02 motor in a 99 crankshaft sensor problems

gmcz71502

A friend has a 99 auto and was a 53 block, well he bought a motor out of a 02 auto. The 99 has a crankshaft position sensor the 02 does not. What has to be done in order to make the 02 motor run in the 99 truck? Im sure someone has ran across this before so any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

change the engine wire harness from the 2001 ,I have done it in the past and it worked great 0 issues, besides the cruise did not work but I id not drive the truck before I have bought it with a 53 block that took a ****

Cam, crank, and front cover are different . Only way around swapping them is to find a 02 computer and harness to go with it and it will plug in and run

You can use the 99 harness and computer and switch the pins at the ecm plug for crank and cam sensor then flash ecm to 01 and it will be fine. If you have a smarty ask for a recover file to flash the ecm

Just take the plug out of the 02 block and put the crank sensor in it and use the original harness and front cover.

You could swap cranks I suppose, the newer blocks still have the mounting boss for the older style tone ring.

But do the 01/02 cranks have the tone wheel?

you are right they dont but not hard to swap cranks over either if both engines are out and both engines are still available. Hell might as well call Mumau and order fresh bearings since they are cheap and easy to swap also.

you are right they dont but not hard to swap cranks over either if both engines are out and both engines are still available. Hell might as well call Mumau and order fresh bearings since they are cheap and easy to swap also.

I agree

If you swap cranks you also would have to swap gear case and cam gear as the two are different between those year motors

Unless you want to tear the motor down and swap cranks, you probably need to go the 01/02 ecm/harness route.

the original motor was overheated really bad so didnt want to reuse the crankshaft. will the tone ring unbolt or press off of the crank or cam which ever it is on, and press or bolt on the 02?

Back