02 with constant cruise control light and non working oil pressure gauge

texascadillac42

Got an 02 3500 here in the shop. 360k miles. Cruise control light is stuck on permanently. Cruise doesn't work, hitting the buttons does nothing, nothing turns the light off. Also, the oil pressure gauge doesn't work. Truck has good oil pressure, sending unit has been replaced.

I have done a cluster test where all the gauges sweep and the OP gauge seems to move as it should. My Snap On Solus will not connect to the instrument cluster computer, which is leading me to believe that the ECM/PCM or something in between is messed up. Any ideas on where to look next, or is the PCM or ECM junk? Thanks for any help.

Well shooting from the hip... I would say the oil pressure sensor failed and the clockspring in the column failed.

But I would double check both by checking error codes for sure... Then for the oil pressure use a mechanical gauge and verify there is actual oil pressure. Then most likely just replace the sensor.

WARNING: Before working on the column disconnect the batteries and leave the truck alone for about 15-20 minutes this allows the AirBag caps to discharge and prevents a possible discharge of a aribag in your face!

As for the Cruise I would check the codes for clues then ohm out the clockspring to be sure its not damaged. Double check the switches in the steering wheel too.

Sensor has been replaced twice, once by the customer, once by me. Engine is verified to have excellent oil pressure with mechanical gauge.

As for the clockspring, the horn works fine (which I have been told is a good indication of the clockspring not failing) How can I check for codes for the cruise control? ECM and PCM have no codes, and I cannot connect to the instrument cluster computer with my Solus.

I was hoping for P1595, P1596, P1597... But didn't get it... Let me dig for a wiring diagram..

Last edited:
id guess the cluster is bad, highly doubt two things would go out both at the same time

ECM is starting to go bad. By friend had the same problem in his truck so we pulled his ecm out and put it in my truck and then I had his problems and mine work fine in his. Thats how we isolated the problem.

Ok, so you swapped the ECM (the one on the side of the motor) between 2 trucks and it the problems followed the ECM? Looks like I will try and find a used one.

Back